ATP - Rafael Nadal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First-Round Defeat Raises More Questions for Rafael Nadal

In 2015 he struggled with his confidence and punching power under pressure and talked openly about his internal struggles. But after quick exits at Wimbledon and the United States Open, he returned home to the Spanish island of Majorca in September, reflected, recommitted himself, and found his form in the season’s closing months.

Now, after his latest Grand Slam downer — a first-round loss to Fernando Verdasco at the Australian Open — the questions about everything from Nadal’s coaching structure to his confidence to his foot speed at age 29 will swirl again.

“If I were his coach, the first thing I would do is remind him of his greatness, which it appears he doubts sometimes,” said Jim Courier, the United States Davis Cup captain and former world No. 1 player.
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Coverage

Seven Years Later, Verdasco Comes Through Against Nadal
    After Unusual Stumbles, Rafael Nadal’s Year Ends in Hope
    Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova Advance at Australian Open
    Zhang Shuai Breaks Through Against Simona Halep, a No. 2 Seed
    Noah Rubin Upsets Benoît Paire for First Win at a Major Event
    On Tennis: Tennis’s Watchdog Seems to Operate in the Dark

It is hard to see Nadal winning a 15th Grand Slam singles title at this stage. For the moment, it is Novak Djokovic’s world and everyone else is just renting.

Although Nadal nostalgia is certainly in order, the panic button is not worth punching just yet. Men’s players are thriving like never before past the age of 30. And Nadal did play convincing, aggressive tennis down the stretch in 2015 in a phase of the season during which he has often slumped, recovering the sting and depth in his forehand, the whipping stroke that has been his signature shot.

Back in Melbourne, where he beat Verdasco in a classic semifinal on his way to the title in 2009, Nadal trained long and with conviction last week, beating Andy Murray and others in practice while sticking true to his new principles by staying tight to the baseline.

Yet it all led to nothing but more frustration on Tuesday, when Nadal once again failed to close the deal against a much-lower-ranked opponent in one of the tournaments that matter most.

Despite leading by two sets to one against Verdasco and despite leading by 2-0 with a break point on Verdasco’s serve in the fifth set, Nadal ended up losing the last six games of the match.
    On Tennis
    An occasional column looking at the news, issues and personalities in the world of tennis.

Tennis’s Watchdog Seems to Operate in the Dark
    I.T.F.’s Antidoping Policy Poses Test for New Leader
    Amid Dominant No. 1s in Tennis, More Fluidity on Women’s Tour
    Novak Djokovic Ascends Ever Higher, With No Clear Landing in Sight
    Flavia Pennetta Is Calling Her Shots to the End

See More »

It was the second first-round defeat of his career in a Grand Slam, coming after his shocking loss at Wimbledon in 2013 to Steve Darcis. But the Darcis upset came when Nadal’s knees were giving him great trouble. He and his camp insist that he is no such pain at the moment, although there was plenty of emotional pain on Wednesday.

“It’s one of the biggest disappointments we’ve had,” Toni Nadal, his coach and uncle, said in an interview with Spanish radio. “All losses hurt, or nearly all, but to go out in the first round of a tournament that is so important like the Australian Open and to have come in here playing well for three or four months, that is what is very disappointing.”

Rafael Nadal, who has rejected calls for a coaching change and declined to answer approaches from outside experts wishing to give him advice, has clawed his way back to No. 5 in the rankings, but he should drop again.

Since winning his ninth French Open title in 2014, he has not been past the quarterfinals in any Grand Slam event and has been beaten by four players on tour who were ranked outside the top 100 and three more outside the top 50.

Advertisement

His last three Grand Slam singles results are the worst three consecutive results in majors in his career: a second-round loss at Wimbledon to Dustin Brown, a third-round loss at the United States Open to Fabio Fognini and Tuesday’s first-round loss to Verdasco, who has beaten him in three of their last four matches but had never beaten him in a Grand Slam tournament.

Courier sees a common thread. “These guys realized they had to try to take the racket out of Rafa’s hand by overpowering him,” Courier said Wednesday in Melbourne. “It’s a strategy that frankly has been employed too infrequently against the big four. Those guys have been too good for the field if you allow them to play their way. Disruption is the only option to cause an upset, since they so rarely beat themselves with unforced errors.”

Nadal also believes that part of the problem is of his own making. “In terms of being competitive, I was competitive,” he said after losing to Verdasco. “In terms of creating damage to the opponent with my forehand, I didn’t. So I was hitting forehands, and he was able to keep hitting winners. Cannot happen when I am hitting my forehand. The opponent, if he wants to hit a winner, it’s because he takes too much risk. In my opinion, was not the case today.”

In Nadal’s mind, the biggest issue was that he kept allowing Verdasco to go for huge shots from reasonable positions. “I don’t know a hundred percent the reason, to be honest,” Nadal said. “I was doing that good on the practices and the previous tournaments.”

Verdasco finished with 90 winners and 91 unforced errors, huge numbers. He also won an astounding 25 of 27 points at net against a man who was once the king of the passing shot.
    Recent Comments
    ACK 6 hours ago

Does no one remember operacion puerto? When you're busted pumping your body full of that much steroids at 19 you have to know that your...
    Grant 6 hours ago

Much like Tiger Woods, another sports diva of the media, Nadal has climbed to the top and now is headed steadily down the mountain....
    RajS 6 hours ago

I think Nadal's movement has slowed down just a hair, and that's why the strategy of overpowering him is working now (only for top players,...

See All Comments

Compared with his great seasons, Nadal is in decline. The question is to what degree he can reverse it, as Roger Federer, 34, managed at a more advanced age after his slump in 2013. Federer roared back in 2014 and 2015 to reach No. 2 in the rankings and the singles finals in three major tournaments.

“I believe Rafa can put himself in a winning position again,” Darren Cahill, a leading coach and analyst, said before the tournament. “A lot of people are talking about the fact he had a pretty average year last year, but he finished up the year No. 5 in the world. He’s healthy and finished the year playing some good tennis, so I think those are some good signs from him.”

The best sign for now is the one that points in the direction of clay, Nadal’s traditional haven. He is the greatest men’s clay-courter in history, and he will play a majority of the next four months on the surface, beginning — if he sticks to his schedule — with Rio de Janeiro next month.

But getting past Djokovic to win a 10th French Open title may be too much to ask. Djokovic, the No. 1 men’s player in the world, has beaten Nadal soundly in their recent matches, including a meeting in the French Open quarterfinals last year.

“Nadal’s chances at Roland Garros are still good, but he needs a consistent period of excellence to regain his aura in the locker room,” Courier said. “He is more vulnerable now than he has been since he was a teenager, and the effective game plan has been exposed for others to see.”

The margins are small at this level, and the sort of confidence and taste for risk that Fognini and Verdasco have displayed down the stretch against Nadal could well prove contagious.

Nadal has also shown a new tendency to blow leads. His loss to Fognini at the United States Open was the first time Nadal had lost in a major after leading by two sets to love, and in recent months he has been reeled in by Feliciano López, Milos Raonic and now Verdasco. Nadal’s record in his last six five-set matches is 2-4, telling from a man whose career five-set record is 17-7.

“Lack of confidence shows up in Nadal’s depth of shot or lack thereof,” Courier said. “And that has allowed guys with shotmaking ability, like Fognini and Verdasco, to be able to overpower him. When Rafa was confident, he was seemingly always in charge against all but the best players. But yesterday Fernando was the one giving constant dictation.”

Regaining control of the conversation will be quite a challenge for Nadal.

Comment

• Rafa ima igru,samo mora malo da je koriguje i da ubedi sebe da je ima-pre svega.Možda nije loša ideja da u tim,ako već ne želi da menja Tonija ubaci nekoga kao kosultanta i saradnika i da se samo malo više potrudi,ali ne u igračkom smislu,već da popravi psihološki aspekat.Ili da sve ostavi isto a timu pridoda nekog psihologa...
      Šampioni se ne stvaraju u teretanama. Šampioni se stvaraju od nečega što imaju duboko u sebi- želju, viziju i san. M.Ali
      Ko sme taj može.Ko ne zna za strah taj ide napred.
      "When the crowd is chanting Roger I hear Novak."

Comment

• Originally posted by jacques9 View Post
        JOš jedna godina pakla gdje ču morati gledati dominaciju Rogera i Novaka.
        Čoveče, kakva je ovo izjava.
        Zašto ti je to godina pakla? Pa valjda si ti teniski navijač, valjda uživaš u tenisu. Ne mrziš valjda Rodžera i Novaka, valjda su ti dragi njihova sportska dostignuća, njihovo pomeranje teniskih granica, činjenje ovog sporta boljim i naprednijim.
        Nema dobrog Rafe bez dobre konkurencije, a to su sada njih dvojica. Moram reći, na žalost samo njih dvojica.
        Pre izvesnog vremena sam na ovom forumu, kao veliki Novakov navijač, tvrdio da je po meni Rafa najveći, GOAT.
        Pre dva dana sam izrazio uverenje, nadu da će se Rafa vratiti, da tenis nije isti bez njega i da Novak nije isti bez rivalstva sa Rafom.
        Najtoplije ti savetujem da tako gledaš na Novaka i Fedexa i tenis će ti biti lepši, više ćeš uživati u njemu.
        I nadaj se da će od ovih klinaca neko što pre napraviti iskorak. Ako ni zbog čega drugog, a ono zbog Rafe. Nadaj se da će ga još neko osim ove dvojice pogurati nepred, naterati da nešto promeni i bude opet onaj na kojeg smo navikli. Jer, možda se Rafa pomiri sa tim da Novaku ne može ništa i zadovolji se da bude broj dva-tri. Ali, ako ga i neki novi klinci pritisnu, bace na broj sedam ili osam, sigurno se neće pomiriti već će učiniti sve da opet bude vrh.

Comment

• http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/0...123256656.html

Comment

• Rafa Nadal: "I am not afraid of my expiration date"
            The Spanish star tennis player speaks with EL ESPAÑOL right after being eliminated from the first round of the Australian Open.
            Rafael Nadal (Mallorca, Spain, 1986) speaks with EL ESPAÑOL in an exclusive interview after being eliminated in Australia. In a quiet environment he covers all aspects of his game, the current status of tennis and much more. These are the highlights of the interview that you can read fully by clicking here.
            CURRENT SITUATION
            It's a tough loss. I’ve been training a lot more than usual because my body now allows me to do it. When you've worked hard, and you feel that you’ve done everything right, and the match goes in the wrong direction...
            I know I've been doing things the right way. The work that I’ve done is well done. Tuesday's loss does not change the reality: I am well and I hope it continues this way from now on. Yes, I had lost in Qatar against Djokovic in the final, but I'm on the right track. I will try to follow a similar work line, and I will try to leave the match against Verdasco behind me.
            In any case there are no excuses. I failed to take advantage of what I should have and when the match goes sideways it is impossible to fix. I could have won in the fourth set. I think I did the right things to finish it, but he had an adrenaline rush that lasted until the fifth set.
            The loss to Verdasco cannot take my current perspective: I’ve been playing at fairly high level since Beijing. I’ve been playing at a high level regularly in the last few months, at a level that I hope to have. Yesterday’s defeat is a stone in the road of this recent positive streak and I just need to assume it.
            We can find many things, but the sport is usually pretty simple. We can make up stories and write whatever you want, but the reality is that I lost a match that I was close to winning.
            NEW TENNIS BALLS
            It is a fact that the new tennis balls have affected the game. It is so. In the Verdasco match it had no effect, for example. There are different factors causing this. The balls have changed a bit and are now hollower. Balls are less lively. A few years ago, the ball came out very fast of the racket and nowadays they stay longer on the strings.
            Things have changed and I have tried to adapt to the change. I'm not playing with as much effect as before, I'm playing in a slightly different way.
            RETIREMENT
            I know that what I do is not forever, this has an expiration date and I do not know when it is. So I try to make the most out of it. I want these years I have left to be productive, but especially productive on a personal level.
            I have no fear of my expiration date, but that does not mean I don’t like what I do. Therefore, I will try to make my expiration date last for as long as I can.
            SUCCESS
            Success is a very relative thing. A person can be successful externally, that is to succeed in life from a superficial point of view. The real success is personal happiness. If you can have a lot of money, if you get to be the number one in anything that you propose yourself, but if you're really not happy in your personal life...
            MATCH FIXING
            In the ATP Tour, I have not felt that this ever happens, nor have I seen it, and no one in my life has contacted me, nor I have information that this happens. (…). People who have researched all of that, which I neither criticize nor accused, have to release the actual names. You cannot say Grand Slam champions might be involved and leave it at that. What are we talking about? Individual matches? WTA? Doubles? Mixed? The first thing should be to make clear what it is that we are talking about. And then, in the last 10 years there have been six or seven Grand Slam winners. I say it clearly: in our circuit it is impossible for any Grand Slam winner to have rigged matches.
            The solution to all of this is for the ATP to seek who’s involved and punish them accordingly. We have to have rigorous controls so this situations do not occur so that our spectators, partners, peers and people in general don’t feel betrayed.
            TALENT
            Talent is something that people confuse. Talent is not play pretty or hit the ball very hard. One will have talent to play nice, another one will have talent to not miss hits when the ball comes around, another one to make very good backhands and another person might have talent to be a good athlete. In tennis, and in any sport, the ultimate goal is to win. The summary is clear: the one with the most talent wins more frequently.

Comment

• Mouratoglou believes a slower Nadal has tough challenge ahead

“That was the biggest issue for me today. I don't know 100% the reason, to be honest. I was doing that good on the practices and the previous tournaments.”

Patrick Mouratoglou has some ideas about the reason behind Nadal’s declining form. The Frenchman and current coach of Serena Williams has followed Nadal’s career over the last decade and knows first hand about the mindset of a champion. According to Mouratoglou, Nadal’s forehand issues are nothing new. The Spaniard’s biggest obstacle lies somewhere else.

“Rafael Nadal has always been a very anxious player who needs to win matches to be reassured. As long as he doesn’t win enough matches in a row, he doesn’t have the needed confidence for his shots to do their usual damage,” Mouratoglou said in an interview on Wednesday in Melbourne. “This forehand issue? We’ve seen it 50 times already. But we weren’t worried…. I feel like I’ve been talking for 10 years about how short he plays when he’s tight. And he was still beating top players this way because the guys were so scared and wouldn’t step up inside the court, and above all because of his extraordinary footwork.”

Mouratoglou believes Nadal has lost his ability to cover the court because of his footwork skills, and as a result, his confidence during matches has been affected.

“[A few years ago] when he wasn’t playing his best tennis, he would keep the ball in play aiming to the middle of the court and run. He’d put so much intensity and be impossible to hit through,” he said. “Today he can’t do that anymore because his footwork is so far from what it was before. He’s much slower. And he knows it.”

Mouratoglou says that’s why Nadal decided to change his game to a more aggressive style, a completely different method than he has used for the past 20 years. And while he has found success with this approach, Mouratoglou says, it is not natural for him to play far inside the court and when he’s not at his best, he stops moving forward.

“In the past he has only been aggressive when he was full of confidence,” Mouratoglou said. “Facing a Verdasco playing that well, he was getting stressed and so he stepped back. But we’ve seen it so many times when he’s not confident.”

After speaking openly about his struggles with confidence in 2015, Nadal reassessed his game with his coaches and seemed to find his form again late in the season and in his first tournament of 2016. But now, questions about his confidence still linger.

“How will he get his confidence back, knowing that he can’t count anymore on that court coverage?” Mouratoglou said. “That’s the only reason why one can wonder if he’s going to ever be back on top. He might be slower now because he can’t train as he used to do anymore, because he’s not getting younger and his body has already done a lot. Also it’s tough to think he’ll ever get his speed back. And the more stressed he is, the slower he’s going to be.”

Even his coach Toni Nadal is searching for explanations after his loss in Melbourne on Tuesday.

“To lose so early in Australia is one of the biggest disappointments we have had because, in the last four months, we had been playing well,” he said to Spanish radio. “I hope it’s only a blip and we move forward…It’s not easy to change of style after 15 years.”

Toni now even seems open to the idea of a team change. “I understand results come first and if you have to make a change, you have to do it,” he said.

But Mouratoglou isn’t convinced. “It’s tough to see what the way for him is here, but it’s not even an option for him to stop working with Toni at this moment of his career. But if Toni wants to bring someone into their team, why not.”

Mouratoglou believes that if Nadal can win another Grand Slam title, it will be at Roland Garros. But he’s still unsure of the road to get there.

“Even if somehow he finds a way back to full confidence, I’m not sure he’d still beat [Novak] Djokovic. And getting back to this state of mind while you keep losing against Djokovic, it’s not easy,” Mouratoglou said. “If [Nadal] starts to think that he won’t ever be back then he’s going to stop playing tennis. If at some point he stops believing, he’ll stop. That’s not someone who’s going to hang in there between the fifth and 10th spot in the rankings. But he still believes he can. For how long, I don’t know. But the results will have to arrive quickly.”

Comment

• Muratoglu je u pravu, ali je previse strog, Na AO je Nadal imao tezak zrijeb.

Comment

• Rafa je izgubio na eksplozivnosti i tu verovatno u 29 godini starosti nema šta se puno može popraviti a možda igrešim.
                  A za dobro kretanje treba osim eksplozivnosti i odlična kondicija - trčanje. Rafa više nije tako dobro fizični pripremljen kao nekad am može i mora se puno toga popraviti
                  Ne mogu zaboraviti meč protiv Ferrera u na ATP finalus 2015. Ferrere je pretrčao 600 metara više i uz činjenicu, da je uglavmo Fererer diktirao poene.Ako neki 34-godišnjak pretrči 600 metara više na jednom meču znači, da ima još puno rezerve u Rafinom kretanju.
                  K tome so mora dodači i činjenica da Rafa puno više trpi dehidraciju tjela nego nekad. S(p)retno je izbljegao 5.set u finalu RG 2014. A zbog gčeva bi sigurno razpao u 5.setu
                  Opet grčevi u 3.setu Ria protiv Fogninija.

Znači Rafa mora da proradi i na boljoj fizičkoj spremi

Comment

• Rafael Nadal had received a Wild Card to play in The ATP of Buenos Aires.

Comment

• Jacques,

Rafa nikada vise nece biti sto je nekad bio. Ipak mislim da i danasnji Rafa moze da dodje sa odlicnim paketom na sljaci. Pravo mjerom ofanzive i defanzive, top spina i ravnog FH-a, pravim postavljanjem na terenu (BH mu je mnogo bolji nego nekada), povecanim, ali ni i pretjeranim, brojem izlazaka na mrezu... Takav Rafa ce bude jedan od glavnih favorita, mozda i glavni, na RG-u.

Nemoj da dajes preveliki znacaj mecu sa Verdaskom. Fernando je igrao odlicno, Rafa nije imao dovoljno samouvjerenja da igra najbolje kriticne poene kao 2009. I to je to. Poraz od Djokovic je daleko bolniji. Pokazala se velika razlika u nivou igre. Ali tada je Novak bio u top formi i nije se igralo na sljaci nego na hardu.

Muratoglu sve to zna ali svejedno daje previse pesimisticku prognozu.

Comment

• Originally posted by jacques9 View Post
                        Rafael Nadal had received a Wild Card to play in The ATP of Buenos Aires.
                        Odakle ti to?
                        Originally posted by Casiraghi
                        Al bar nauci me drugoj da se dam da tebi nevernoj budem Emre Can
                        Ti nikad neces biti kao Joel Matip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxj_G6ExBTE
                        Srecan Mane svima koji slave.

Comment

• Originally posted by NI View Post
                          Jacques,

Rafa nikada vise nece biti sto je nekad bio. Ipak mislim da i danasnji Rafa moze da dodje sa odlicnim paketom na sljaci. Pravo mjerom ofanzive i defanzive, top spina i ravnog FH-a, pravim postavljanjem na terenu (BH mu je mnogo bolji nego nekada), povecanim, ali ni i pretjeranim, brojem izlazaka na mrezu... Takav Rafa ce bude jedan od glavnih favorita, mozda i glavni, na RG-u.

Nemoj da dajes preveliki znacaj mecu sa Verdaskom. Fernando je igrao odlicno, Rafa nije imao dovoljno samouvjerenja da igra najbolje kriticne poene kao 2009. I to je to. Poraz od Djokovic je daleko bolniji. Pokazala se velika razlika u nivou igre. Ali tada je Novak bio u top formi i nije se igralo na sljaci nego na hardu.

Muratoglu sve to zna ali svejedno daje previse pesimisticku prognozu.
                          U svem se slažem sa tobom. I ja ne dajem preveliki značaj porazu sa Verdascom. Te naravno ono što birne je (pre)velika razlika do NOvaka. To je onaj pravi realni problem o kojem več dugo vremena pričam.

U svemu tome moram primjetiti, da je jedan dio igre koje može Rafa puno in baš puno popraviti i to jeste servis.
                          Kako je samo servirao u 2010.
                          Ajde razumijem probleme sa leđima u 2014, ali u 2015 i sada izgleda da je fizički fit i baš ne razumijem zbog čega tako loše servira.

Protivnici mu oduzimajo servis kao za šalu..

Logično mi je da je Rafa desnoruk koji iga tenis za levom rukom i zbog toga ima velika ograničenja u servisu i uz odličnu skoro perfektnu tehniku ali sve jedno treba uporno raditi na tome.

Comment

• Ne da nema istine u ono sto kaze Mouratoglu, rad nogu, brzina, spor jeste, sve to stoji; ali on je pretstavio Nadala maltene kao neko ko je srecom uzeo 14 GS.
                            Inace, jeste kretanje na terenu veliki problem, verovatno i kljucni, ali ne znamo razlog zasto je to tako. Ne verujem u mogucnost da tako drasticno padne fizicki.
                            Sam Nadal kaze, sto se meca protiv Verdasca tice, da je on prakticno bio tamo gde najmanje zelis, na sredinu terena, i time je normalno laka meta. To vise implicira da on ima takticki problem kako igrati, i uopste ne nalazi balans izmedju ofanzive i defanzive.
                            Kod njega vec nije u pitanju jedan problem, vec tokom ove dve godine to je postao kompleks problema.
                            Ali, vratimo se na pocetku, ako on kretanje ne moze popraviti, onda ne verujem da moze postaviti bilo kakvu igru.

Comment

• Potpuno je logično da kada jedna stvar ne funkcioniše to sa sobom povlaći i ostale.E,sada šta je prvo na čemu treba poraditi?Samopouzdanje,pa dalje tehničke stvari.
                              A ja i dalje verujem,da Rafa može da se vrati.
                              Šampioni se ne stvaraju u teretanama. Šampioni se stvaraju od nečega što imaju duboko u sebi- želju, viziju i san. M.Ali
                              Ko sme taj može.Ko ne zna za strah taj ide napred.
                              "When the crowd is chanting Roger I hear Novak."

Comment

• Nadal trazio WC za Buenos Aires.

http://bolamarela.pt/rafael-nadal-pe...-buenos-aires/
                                Al bar nauci me drugoj da se dam da tebi nevernoj budem Emre Can
                                Ti nikad neces biti kao Joel Matip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxj_G6ExBTE
                                Srecan Mane svima koji slave.

Comment

Working...
                                X