Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charley Walters: Timberwolves likely to offer Kevin Love $60M, four-year deal

Look for the Timberwolves to offer Kevin Love a $60 million, four-year contract extension within the next eight days.

Love, 23, who is playing for $4.6 million this season, can become a restricted free agent after the season unless he signs an extension before Jan. 25. If he opts for free agency, the Wolves would have the right to match any outside offer. Love also can return to Minnesota in 2012-13 for $6.1 million and become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Wolves President David Kahn isn't commenting on contract talks, and Love says he's unaware of the status of negotiations. The Wolves, though, want to get Love signed by next week.

Love, one of five players in NBA history to start a season with 13 double-doubles (points-rebounds), is the Wolves' fifth-highest-paid player.

The 6-foot-10, 250-pound Love is second in the NBA in rebounding with 14.3 a game. He is featured in an entertaining ESPN Sport Science video - tinyurl.com/7yxgr3e - showing him competing against a 5-10, 360-pound sumo wrestler for a rebound.

Love was fitted with 12 electronic sensors to measure the impact of colliding with the sumo wrestler while using a wide stance and body leverage to box him out for a rebound. The video is not only instructive but funny.

"I did it at (ESPN studios) in Los Angeles last summer," Love said Monday. "They wanted me to box out this sumo wrestler, so I said, 'Let's do it.' It was fun.

"Part of it was made for TV, but some of it was also my ability to box out against guys who aren't 360 pounds, guys who are more in my range of weight. In that regard, I feel I'm very strong."

Love is growing out his hair. Asked if he plans to copy teammate Ricky Rubio's floppy style, Love joked yes. He said they go to the same Uptown Minneapolis salon.

Rubio was to be featured on the cover of today's USA Today sports section and featured in Sports Illustrated today. Later this week, he'll be featured in GQ magazine.

Kevin McHale, who fired old pal Flip Saunders as Timberwolves coach in 2005 when McHale oversaw basketball operations, coached the Houston Rockets past Saunders' Washington Wizards 114-106 Monday in Washington. Houston is 6-7 in McHale's first season. Washington is an NBA-worst 1-12.

As expected, Orono grad Jon Leuer, a second-round draft pick of the Milwaukee Bucks out of Wisconsin last June, has broken into the starting lineup for the Bucks. The 40th overall pick in the draft, the 6-10 Leuer is averaging 7.3 points, 4.2 rebounds and 19.1 minutes a game.

Royce White, who transferred from the Gophers to Iowa State, recently was compared to Kevin Garnett of the Boston Celtics by Cyclones coach Fred Hoiberg, then hall of famer Magic Johnson by Missouri coach Frank Haith, then former NBA all-star Jamal Mashburn by Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford, the Des Moines Register points out.

White, the 6-7 former Mr. Minnesota Basketball from Hopkins, is up to 270 pounds and playing point guard as a sophomore. He continues to lead Iowa State (12-5) in scoring (13.4) and rebounding (9.6).

Former Gophers-Wolves guard Bobby Jackson, on returning to Minneapolis as a Sacramento Kings assistant on Monday: "Good to be back."

Delano High and University of Minnesota grad David Meyer, whose family owns the public Pioneer Creek Golf Course near the private Windsong Farm Golf Club west of Minneapolis, has bailed out the financially troubled Windsong Farm.

Under the deep-pocketed Meyer, who is CEO of Fargo, N.D.-based Titan Machinery, plans are for Windsong to have a $15,000 initiation fee for members 40 and over this year, with a national membership fee of $2,500. Regular annual dues will be $7,600.

About 75 Gophers men's basketball alumni are expected to attend Sunday afternoon's game against Northwestern at Williams Arena. They'll be introduced at halftime.

The Gophers baseball office walls are adorned with pictures of alumni who went on to become millionaire major league players. Now, Jack Hannahan can be added.

On Tuesday, the former Cretin-Derham Hall slugger signed a $1.135 million, one-year deal with the Cleveland Indians, more than doubling his 2011 salary after hitting .250 with eight home runs and 40 runs batted in. If Hannahan wins the regular third base job this spring and becomes a Gold Glove Award winner, of which he certainly is capable, he'll receive a $25,000 bonus.

Joe Speed, who represents a fleet of former Gophers baseball players, lobbied the Houston Astros for two years to move Mike Kvasnicka from third base to catcher. This week, the Astros agreed.

Beloved Dottie Riley, wife of retired longtime St. Paul sportswriter Don Riley, died Monday. She had Alzheimer's disease.

DON'T PRINT THAT

Pssst: NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver, who will succeed David Stern as commissioner, dined with Wolves owner Glen Taylor, then met with Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and some legislators Monday about financing to improve Target Center in conjunction with a new Vikings stadium.

Best bet now, people in the know say, for a new Vikings stadium is either on the Metrodome site or near the Basilica in downtown Minneapolis.

Word is that guy perpetually dressed in a suit who became a Target Center trademark at Wolves games by exuberantly banging his program on the floor from his front-row seat could be returning to the arena after the economy sidelined him for a couple of seasons.

The recent Gophers-Notre Dame hockey game at Mariucci Arena netted benefactor U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame $70,000.

The Big Ten Network is considering one of five University of Minnesota student finalists for a $1,000 scholarship for outstanding community service. That stipend might cover the cost of a handful of text books for classes.

OVERHEARD

Electronic wall sign at Shamrock's Grill and Pub in St. Paul: "Joe Mauer eats here. Ricky Rubio wants to."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19759053?source=rss
    sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

• Eric Gordon says he is open to an extended stay with New Orleans Hornets, who must decide if he fits into their plans

Shooting guard Eric Gordon said he’s willing to sign a long-term contract extension with the Hornets, who have until Wednesday to make that happen. But as the clock ticks away on that deadline, it’s also ticking on the timeline that is keeping Gordon sidelined with a bone bruise in his right knee that has limited the Hornets’ leading scorer to just two games this season.

The question begs, therefore: have the Hornets seen enough in two games, one of which Gordon made the winning shot, to offer Gordon an extension that would keep him in New Orleans for another four or five years? Or does the team wait until the season ends, and with a new owner in place, then possibly commit its resources to an extension, or just allow Gordon to test the market as a restricted free agent?

And will the Hornets be open to satisfying Gordon’s financial demands, whatever they may be?

Gordon, who was ruled out for two to three weeks on Jan. 6 because of swelling in the knee after his second game — a 40-minute outing in a loss to the 76ers — says he’d have no problem putting his name on a long-term contract with the Hornets right now.

“I’m very open to a long-term extension,” said Gordon, the seventh pick in the 2008 draft. “It’s all about having enough security to where I’m able to be here.”

Gordon said his agent, Rob Pelinka, has had ongoing dialog with the Hornets about an extension, and that the Hornets have expressed an interest.

“You know they’ve told me they want me here, they want an extension,” Gordon said. “But it’s all about what they think is the worth in me. They see that I’m capable of helping this team win, capable of playing hard every night offensively and defensively. Now it’s all about dealing with what I’m worth.”

Pelinka, who also represents the Lakers’ Kobe Bryant and Hornets forward Chris Kaman among others, did not return repeated telephone calls or respond to an email.

Hornets General Manager Dell Demps refused comment on the situation.

“It’s not something I want to talk about,” Demps said. “I’m not going to talk about the extension at all.”

There has been speculation from national media outlets that the NBA, which owns the Hornets, might be reluctant to burden a potential new owner with a contract that could approach $80 million over five seasons, the same sort of extension that Oklahoma City guard Russell Westbrook just signed, or a deal similar to the four-year, $61 million deal the Minnesota Timberwolves are reportedly offering Kevin Love. Westbrook was taken three slots ahead of Gordon in the 2008 draft, and Love two spots.

Gordon was the centerpiece of last month’s trade that brought three players and a projected 2012 lottery pick to the Hornets in exchange for four-time All-Star point guard Chris Paul, a deal orchestrated and approved by NBA Commissioner David Stern as de-facto owner of the Hornets.

During a teleconference after the trade, Stern was asked if the league, as the team’s owner, would allow the Hornets to negotiate a large, potentially maximum-money extension for Gordon.

“The team is authorized to have any discussion that any other team can have,” Stern said. “And so the answer to your questions is it can happen with current ownership or it can wait. It depends upon the player’s choice. ... I have to sign off on all major transactions.”

Several other members of the 2008 draft class, notably last season’s Most Valuable Player Derrick Rose of the Bulls, have signed extensions beyond their expiring rookie contracts.

But the on-court success from those players, and the stability of the franchises involved, likely make it easier to justify the expenditures.

Last season with the Clippers, Gordon missed 26 games because of a wrist injury, and the season before that he missed 20 games because of injuries that included a groin problem and a viral infection.

Gordon said he has done no running or cardio rehabilitation since being shut down Jan. 6. He has iced the knee and received electric bone stimulation to facilitate, and hopefully expedite, healing. He’s due for another exam on the knee next week as the extension deadline looms.

Does Gordon believe the Hornets have seen enough of his ability and potential in the two games he has been in a New Orleans uniform, and his complete body of work, to commit to a long-term deal?

“They see what I’m capable of,” Gordon said. “They know basketball. And what I’ve done now is no different than what I’ve done before. I’ve just gotten better as a player as far as individually, as a late-game guy situation. I’m trying to find ways to help win games. If that’s what they’re looking for from me, you’ll probably see some sort of long-term situation here.

“I’d say starting next week (talks aimed at an extension) would be very serious and maybe have something down the line. And whatever happens, happens. I think both sides may be able to come to an agreement. But right now, we’re both comfortable.”

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...open_to_a.html
      sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

• Clocks ticks on Love extension, Wolves lose 107-92 to McHale, Rockets

We're now not much more than a day away and counting on the NBA deadline for the Wolves to sign Kevin Love and the Wolves have yet to reach a deal on a contract extension with him.

One team source told me tonight that the Wolves are closing in on a five-year maximum contract deal that would pay him more than $78 million and despite such a forthcoming deal, David Kahn hasn't won any brownie points with Love in this negotiation.

Another said that as of Monday afternoon, the team still hadn't moved off its four-year, $61 million offer.

I still believe the Wolves will reach a deal with Love by 11 p.m. Wednesday and it will be that five-year "designated player" deal with Love.

An agreement could come as soon as Tuesday morning or considering the unnecessary wait so far, it could stretch toward that deadline, just like the Al Jefferson contract four years wasn't finalized until just minutes before the deadline.

Yes, the Wolves very well can argue that $61 million is still better than Love can do elsewhere as a restrictred free agent next summer and try to call his bluff on it.

But anyone who watched Love's deliver a 39-point, 12-rebound night despite playing ill in Monday's 107-92 loss to the Kevin McHale-coached Rockets knows where the franchise would be without him:

Pretty much right back to 2007, when McHale traded Kevin Garnett away in a package that brought Jefferson from Boston to Minnesota.

The question is, do they want to haggle with him enough to risk alienating him into not only waiting until he becomes a restricted free agent next summer (when the Wolves simply will match any four-year offer that Love gets) but also tempt him into thinking about playing out a qualifying-offer year next season and become an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

Now, he'd be crazy to accept a $6 million deal (or try to negotiate a better one-year contract) and risk injury or worse rather than take $61 million upfront, right?

Yes, he would be, but ego and pride and a sincere fascination to play for a team like, say, the Lakers can make a fellow do funny things.

Here's one important development to watch as the hours tick away toward Wednesday night:

New Orleans shooting guard Eric Gordon told Yahoo! Sports Monday night that he's waiting to see if NBA commissioner David Stern -- not Hornets GM Dell Demps -- will extend him a contract offer by Wednesday night.

Now remember that Wolves owner Glen Taylor is the chairman of the NBA Board of Governors who has Stern on speed dial and it's very possible he's waiting to for Stern to move with Gordon before he finalizes any deal with Love.

I got the distinct impression from Taylor last week that he doesn't believe the league, which owns the Hornets, is willing max out Gordon.

If Gordon does get a five-year max deal like Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook did last week, all that's left for Love to do is sign that five-year contract.

Now, I have no doubt that Love and agent Jeff Schwartz believe his deal should be linked with Westbrook's rather than with Gordon, and Westbrook signed a deal worth between $79 million and $80 million.

Taylor wasn't at Monday's game, although I'm not sure if that meant he was simply away on business, he was busy elsewhere pursuing a deal with Love (very doubtful because Kahn was at the game) or whether he just didn't want to be there for whatever reason when McHale returned to Target Center.

I do know he was home in Mankato on Sunday night because I reached him then and in a fairly brief conversation he said no deal was yet in sight.

One thing I do know for sure: This whole thing will be over soon, or at least until July if the Wolves don't sign Love now.

And if you think this issue has been a distraction the last couple weeks, just wait if it gets kicked down the road until next summer.

If it goes that far, it probably will go one step farther to 2013 or perhaps a sign-and-trade to another team because why would he wait all that time only to accept a lesser offer (another team could only offer him 4.5 percent raises while the Wolves can offer 7.5 percent) next summer.

For now...

Here's the game story from Monday, a night when McHale simply smiled after the Target Center audience clearly booed him during pre-game introductions. His team went out and won their seventh straight game with a 19-1 run that ended the third quarter and opened the fourth after the Wolves had taken a five-point lead.

The Rockets did so by playing four guards at times -- afterward, Ricky Rubio remarked about Kevin Martin playing power forward in one configuration.

And here's the notebook with more on the Love and McHale reunion, among other items.

Kent Youngblood has practice on Tuesday because I'm schedule to fly to Dallas for Wednesday night's game.

There's a chance Kent will be covering a news conference, but if I were a betting man, I'd say it's more likely the Wolves will announce Love's extension at Target Center on Thursday after reaching agreement with him while the team is in Dallas Tuesday night and Wednesday.

I know Rick Adelman will be one unsatisfied fellow if this matter stretches on all season into summer.

So...stay tuned.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/137946583.html
        sigpic

Comment

• Gordon waiting on Stern to give him extension

New Orleans Hornets guard Eric Gordon said he is waiting to learn whether NBA commissioner David Stern will grant him a contract extension before Wednesday’s deadline.

Gordon’s agent, Rob Pelinka, has engaged in recent contract talks with the Hornets’ front office, but hasn’t received an official offer. Gordon told Yahoo! Sports on Monday night he was informed by Hornets general manager Dell Demps that Stern must decide whether to extend an offer. The NBA owns the Hornets. Gordon wants to re-sign with New Orleans, but is uncertain if or when Stern will reach out to him or Pelinka.

“In terms of my contract extension, Dell Demps indicated that it’s out of his control and NBA commissioner David Stern has the last determination on the contract extension,” said Gordon, who will be a restricted free agent this summer if he doesn’t sign an extension.

Gordon, center Chris Kaman, forward Al-Farouq Aminu and the Minnesota Timberwolves’ 2012 first-round pick were acquired by the Hornets in the trade that sent Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Clippers last month. The NBA gave approval to that trade after previously vetoing a deal that would have sent Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers. Stern has publicly expressed optimism that a Louisiana-based owner will buy the Hornets by midyear.

Gordon has played in only two games for the Hornets because of a bruised right knee. He averaged 21 points in the two games. Gordon said he was evaluated by a team-appointed doctor in New York on Monday, and was told his right knee had no structural damage. The doctor, Gordon said, recommended he return to basketball activities in three weeks.

“The doctor said my knee will be 100 percent sound with rest,” Gordon said.

Gordon, 23, hasn’t been in New Orleans long, but is enthusiastic about the opportunity to play under Demps and coach Monty Williams.

“I just hope a deal gets done before the deadline,” Gordon said. “The ball is in [the NBA’s] court.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ern_nba_012312
          sigpic

Comment

• Deadline looms for Trail Blazers, Nicolas Batum to agree on contract extension

The Trail Blazers and Nicolas Batum are on the clock.

The team and its reserve small forward, who have been in contract extension talks for weeks, have until 9 p.m. Wednesday to iron out an agreement or Batum will become a restricted free agent after this season.

Interim GM Chad Buchanan and members of the Blazers’ front office met face-to-face with Bouna Ndiaye, Batum’s agent, on Monday and the sides continued conversations intermittently Tuesday.

Neither Buchanan nor Ndiaye would offer specifics about the talks or reveal whether the sides were close to an agreement. But one source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday night that there was “nothing pending.”

If no agreement is reached before Wednesday night’s deadline, the sides will have to wait until July 1, when Batum would become a restricted free agent. At that point, any team could tender a contract offer and the Blazers would then have the right to match it.

Although Batum has repeatedly expressed a desire to remain in Portland and every key person in the Blazers’ front office has called Batum a building block of the future, there appears to be a difference of opinion as to what Batum is worth. As the deadline nears, Batum said he is hopeful an agreement will be reached but is prepared to accept whatever happens.

“This is a business,” Batum said. “If we can’t reach a deal, we can’t reach a deal. I’ll be focused on this team and this season. If that happens, maybe we’ll find a deal next July. We’ll see.”

Very few players sign extensions with teams during the early-signing period — only five did so last season — so percentages suggest this will drag on until the offseason. However, the sides are determined to continue talking.

“We’ve had a lot of back and forth discussions and we’re still talking,” Buchanan said. “We’re trying to find the right deal for both sides, looking to see if there’s something there that works for everyone. It’s like any negotiation.”

Batum has been solid, if unspectacular this season in a reserve role, averaging 10.8 points and 4.2 rebounds per game, while shooting 42.1 percent from the field. He’s been the Blazers’ most accurate three-point shooter (40.7 percent), but also has been inconsistent.

Buchanan made it a point to stress how important Batum is to the organization, calling him a “valuable contributor.” But he also made clear that if things don’t work out before 9 p.m., the franchise is prepared to wait and restart negotiations on July 1.

“We knew that was a possibly going into this,” Buchanan said. “It happens to a lot of guys with early extensions. It it plays out that way, we’ll deal with it at that point.”

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in..._batum_to.html
            sigpic

Comment

• Kevin Love, Wolves agree to deal

The Minnesota Timberwolves and star forward Kevin Love have agreed to a four-year contract extension worth between $60 million and $62 million, beating Wednesday's midnight ET deadline.

Love had originally sought a five-year deal, but backed off that request and instead insisted that the final year of a four-year deal would be at his option.

Sources close to the process told ESPN.com that the All-Star forward was determined to have the ability to opt out and become an unrestricted free agent after three seasons if he didn't like the direction of the team.

That means Love will have the right to become an unrestricted free agent in summer 2015 if the Timberwolves, who haven't made the playoffs since 2003-04 and are last in the Northwest Division, don't become a consistent winner.

Love said Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor and president of basketball operations David Kahn did not want to offer the five-year deal to the All-Star power forward.

"Did I want the five years? Of course," Love said on a conference call from Dallas, where the Timberwolves were scheduled to play the Mavericks on Wednesday night. "It was something I felt strongly about, but at the end of the day, a four-year deal is still great."

"I like the direction the team is headed," Love said. "I like the youth. I like the pieces, like we're knocking at the door and we're close in a lot of games."

Before the deal was announced, a post on Love's verified Twitter page hinted that it was all but complete: "To #twolves fans: I'll be in Minnesota for 4 more years! Excited to see you when I get back to Minneapolis."

Love was eligible for the same five-year, $80 million extension that the Oklahoma City Thunder awarded guard Russell Westbrook last week.

But the Wolves, sources said, refused all month to budge on their offer and give Love a fifth year, which would have made him Minnesota's "designated player." Based on the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement, every team is allowed to have one "designated player" who receives a five-year maximum extension on his rookie contract.

Because of the team's stance, Love and agent Jeff Schwartz insisted that the final year of a four-year deal would be at the All-Star forward's option.

As the clock neared the deadline, Love said the situation was weighing on him and he wondered if the deal would get done.

"I was willing to make a commitment for five years. They thought otherwise," he said. "I'm glad this is out of the way. It was drawn out until 8 a.m., 9 a.m. this morning."

Love played through illness Monday night against Houston and totaled 39 points and 12 rebounds. He's averaging 24.9 points and 13.9 rebounds through 17 games this season after last year becoming the first player since Moses Malone in 1982-83 to average 20 points and 15 rebounds for an entire season.

Love, the son of a former NBA player and nephew of Beach Boys member Mike Love, was a high school star in Oregon, an All-American in his only season at UCLA and last year led the NBA in rebounding. He became the first player in more than two decades to have 30 rebounds and 30 points in the same game and became an All-Star in just his third season as a pro.

The four-year deal gives the Timberwolves some flexibility going forward and keeps that maximum offer available for point guard Ricky Rubio, No. 2 overall pick Derrick Williams or another player down the road.

"It's good to have our centerpiece," Williams said. "We need a guy like him to put up 25 and 10 every night. ... I had a feeling he would stay with the fan base he's built."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/75...pt-sources-say
              sigpic

Comment

• Nuggets, Gallinari agree to 4-year extension for $42 million

The deal is done — Nuggets forward Danilo Gallinari has agreed to a four-year contract extension. The 23-year-old small forward will make close to $42 million in that four year span, a league source told The Denver Post.

The deal signifies Denver's dedication to building around a young nucleus, the same nucleus that was handed the keys after Denver traded Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups 13 months ago.

"It was easy to say 'Yes' to this contract," Gallinari said at today's Nuggets shootaround. "It's very nice because we've been playing very well. We have a lot of very good young guys, very unselfish players and I'm looking forward to play with this team this year and with a lot of the guys in the next few years."

The 23-year-old Gallinari had a breakout game last weekend at New York — 37 points, 11 rebounds — and averages 17.4 points per game this season, a career high, as well as 5.2 rebounds. Coach George Karl previously said he thinks the Italian they call Gallo can become an all-star someday.

"Last year when we got him everyone said he was a shooter and we think he's more of a basketball player than a shooter," Karl said at the shootaround. "We think he's a playmaker, he can play many positions."

Said shooting guard Arron Afflalo: "It's well-deserved. Gallo's been playing great this year, he's been consistent in his approach to the game since his rookie season so I'm very happy for him. He's still young and only going to get better."

Born on 8/8/88, Gallo was drafted sixth overall in 2008 by the Knicks. At 6-foot-10, he showcased good range and the ability to penetrate smartly, making him an enticing piece when Denver dealt Melo to New York.

This is the third signature signing by Denver this winter — the Nuggets locked up starting power forward Nene (five years, up to $67 million) and Afflalo (five years, up to $43 million).

Taking advantage of youth, depth and coaching, the Nuggets have leapt to a 12-5 record in this lockout-condensed season, heading into tonight's game at Sacramento (6-12).

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_19818125
                sigpic

Comment

• No extension for Hornets’ Gordon

The New Orleans Hornets and guard Eric Gordon failed to reach agreement on a contract extension before Wednesday night’s deadline. Gordon will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

Gordon had told Yahoo! Sports on Monday that he was waiting to learn whether NBA commissioner David Stern would grant him an extension. Gordon said he was informed by Hornets general manager Dell Demps that it was up to Stern – who acts as the Hornets’ caretaker while the league owns the franchise – to decide whether to extend an offer.

The league approved a four-year offer to Gordon, sources said, but it wasn’t enough to sway Gordon to sign.

“In terms of my contract extension, Dell Demps indicated that it’s out of his control and NBA commissioner David Stern has the last determination on the contract extension,” said Gordon, who will be a restricted free agent this summer if he doesn’t sign an extension.

Gordon, center Chris Kaman, forward Al-Farouq Aminu and the Minnesota Timberwolves’ 2012 first-round pick were acquired by the Hornets in the trade that sent Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Clippers last month. The NBA gave approval to that trade after previously vetoing a deal that would have sent Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers. Stern has publicly expressed optimism that a Louisiana-based owner will buy the Hornets by midyear.

Gordon has played in only two games for the Hornets because of a bruised right knee. He averaged 21 points in the two games. Gordon said he was evaluated by a team-appointed doctor in New York on Monday, and was told his right knee had no structural damage. The doctor, Gordon said, recommended he return to basketball activities in three weeks.

“The doctor said my knee will be 100 percent sound with rest,” Gordon said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ern_nba_012312
                  sigpic

Comment

• Dwight Howard says he would consider Boston. Well, sure.

Remember how first LeBron James went around the country the season before “The Decision” and whenever he got to a new city and was asked if he could see himself playing there he said yes? Then last year Carmelo Anthony tried a calmer version of that same play, but would never say no to any city?

What playbook do you think Dwight Howard is stealing from?

With that preface, we bring you these comments from Dwight Howard in the Boston Herald when asked if he would consider playing in Boston.

“Always. Always,” Howard told the Herald. “I’d always listen to a team like that.

“My thing is I want to win. It’s not something like I’m doing this for money. I win. I want to do it my way.”

With his words he will say this whenever asked. Watch his actions, which is to say he would only sign an extension with the Nets, Lakers, Mavericks, Clippers and Magic. And really only the Nets and Lakers have any kind of trade package the Magic might consider at the trade deadline. If they move him at the deadline. Which they may not. Probably not.

Hard to see what the Celtics could trade to a rebuilding Magic that they would want post-Howard.

Things are going to get crazy for Howard around the All-Star game and through the trade deadline. But for now he is sticking to the playbook. Read into it what you want.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-sure/related/

Comment

• Deng will take pains to stay in lineup

With Luol Deng aiming to return Sunday in Miami with a torn ligament in his left wrist, the question moves to whether the organization will let him.

Such decisions are collaborative. The organization supported Deng when he made the decision to try to play through the injury rather than opt for surgery now. Thus, it stands to reason when Deng says he can tolerate the pain, he will play.

"Basically, it's week to week," coach Tom Thibodeau said this week. "It's going to be more of a pain tolerance issue. Obviously, we're pleased he isn't having surgery now. Hopefully, he can get back as quick as he can."

Deng suffered the injury Saturday against Charlotte. He still wore a splint as he left United Center late Wednesday.

"There have been a number of players who have played with it," Thibodeau said. "It's your comfort level, your pain tolerance. He feels good about what the prognosis is."

Take two: Any second-guessing over Derrick Rose's decision to pass to Brian Scalabrine for the go-ahead shot attempt in the waning seconds of Wednesday's 95-90 loss to the Pacers existed outside the locker room.

"It was a good shot," Rose said. "We made the right play. If they didn't come over, I had a layup. I just tried to make the winning play. I have confidence in my teammates."

Thibodeau and Rose's teammates agreed.

"That's a shot Scal makes all the time," Ronnie Brewer said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1310482.story

Comment

• Sources: 5 teams eye Kenyon Martin

The Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Clippers, Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks are pursuing free-agent forward Kenyon Martin, according to league sources.

Martin has spoken with executives from each of the clubs and is hoping to make his decision next week.

The veteran of 11 NBA seasons will be eligible to sign and begin playing with a team as soon as the Xinjiang Guanghui Flying Tigers complete their season in the Chinese Basketball Association.

Martin signed a $2.6 million deal with Xinjiang during the lockout, but left the team in late December in hopes of returning to the NBA.

The CBA's rules, however, prohibit him from joining an NBA team until Xinjiang's season ends, whether after the regular season or the playoffs. Xinjiang is currently out of the playoffs, which means Martin could potentially sign with an NBA club when the CBA season ends Feb. 16.

Martin, 34, is coming off the least productive season of his career, having averaged just 8.6 points and 6.2 rebounds in Denver last year. But contenders view him as a strong and tough defender who plays unselfishly and has a winning pedigree -- Martin twice reached the NBA Finals with the New Jersey Nets.

Martin's priority is to join a contender on which he'll have a sizeable role, according to a person close to Martin.

The Clippers and the Knicks can offer the $2.5 million mini-midlevel exception. San Antonio can as well, but it is unlikely to do so because of the luxury tax, sources said.

Atlanta is also limited by luxury tax concerns. Miami can only offer the veteran's minimum of $1.4 million.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/75...-kenyon-martin
                        sigpic

Comment

• Should Knicks Look to Miami’s Model for Success?

Losers of seven out of their last eight games, the Knicks have undeniably hit one of the lowest points in Coach Mike D’Antoni’s tenure.

Of course, the team has struggled just as mightily before, but the collective frustration may never have been so high. Where in the past the Knicks were retooling for the future, now they are expected to win. That’s obviously not happening in their 7-11 start.

A simple overview of the team reveals the obvious flaws.

Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire have been criticized for their lack of chemistry. Though Anthony is known to thrive in isolation situations, his ball dominance has been his downfall as he forces up errant jumpers.

Lacking an efficient floor general has hurt Stoudemire’s game, with “point-forward” Anthony unable to create opportunities for his teammate via the pick and roll.

After reeling in the stars, winning was expected to be easy for the Knicks. Instead, with Stoudemire and Anthony still searching for harmony, the team needs more.

Beyond Anthony, Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler, the Knicks have been unable to find steady production. As pretty much everyone has observed, they need a starting point guard to get the most out of their star players and help them mesh. Perhaps Baron Davis can fill that void when he returns to the court, but that is not the only missing link.

The Knicks’ bench is filled with young, unproven and/or inconsistent players. In fact, one of their more productive players, Josh Harrellson, a rookie, will be sidelined approximately six weeks following surgery to repair a fractured wrist. Third-year guard Toney Douglas has been out of whack all season after being in and out of the starting lineup. Bill Walker and Renaldo Balkman have also failed to provide steady boosts.

When the Knicks hobble into Miami to play the Heat on Friday without Anthony in the lineup, they may just be able to learn a thing or two — not from watching the Heat’s three big superstars, but from Miami’s supporting cast.

As they look down the Heat bench, the Knicks will find a bevy of accomplished role players that round out the championship contender. Key cogs in the rotation include Mike Miller (a former sixth man of the year) Shane Battier (a two-time N.B.A. all-defensive team member), and James Jones (the reigning N.B.A. 3-point shootout champion).

While these three players have received accolades over the years, the depth does not end there. Udonis Haslem represents an impressive presence on the boards, averaging 9.1 per game off the bench. The Heat have also gotten lucky with a rookie of their own in Norris Cole, who is averaging 8.8 points.

Each of the aforementioned excel at needed skills, all coming together to complement the stars, providing the Heat with one of the most balanced lineups in the league. Although the Heat’s master plan came a game short of bringing home the title last year, management has continued to build a worthy championship contender, and the assembled group is in position to win it all sooner rather than later.

After assembling their own core of stars, the Knicks should take note of what the Heat has done. New York needs role players who have experience and are not afraid to take the big shot if needed. This squad needs specialty players: 3-point shooters, defenders and ball-handlers.

Right now, relying on younger talent will not make the Knicks a championship contender. Perhaps the team should focus its attention on convincing available veterans that the opportunity to play for a title is worth a discounted salary.

There are two examples on their current roster. Mike Bibby — though he struggled earlier — offers leadership and shooting ability. Jared Jeffries offers defensive prowess and the ability to take charges. Both are playing on minimum contracts this season.

The Knicks should build on this foundation. Signing superstars like Stoudemire and Anthony appeared to scream “contender,” but those who surround them may ultimately spell “championship.”

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.c...ref=basketball

Comment

• Lakers Eyeing Gilbert Arenas

The Los Angeles Lakers have expressed interest in Gilbert Arenas, according to sources close to the situation. The 30-year-old is an unrestricted free agent after being amnestied by the Orlando Magic last month. No signing is imminent, but the Lakers have reached out to the veteran point guard.

League sources say that Arenas would love to join the Lakers. He grew up in Los Angeles and is interested in playing for his hometown team. He believes that he can contribute in Los Angeles’ backcourt, which currently features an aging Derek Fisher, injured Steve Blake and inexperienced Darius Morris. Arenas and Blake played together for two years with the Washington Wizards.

Arenas spent the summer working out in Orlando, losing 20 pounds as he prepared for the upcoming season. The weight loss should prevent further issues with his surgically repaired knee, which was a cause for concern during his brief stint with the Magic. The three-time All-Star is healthy and looking forward to proving that he can still play at a high level if put in the right situation.

In Orlando, Arenas struggled to come off of the bench behind Jameer Nelson. Stan Van Gundy had Arenas on a short leash and would often pull him from games if he made a single mistake. However, he did have the opportunity to start 16 games last year and he was extremely productive. As a starter with the Magic, Arenas averaged 17 points, six assists and 2.5 steals. He averaged similar numbers – 17.3 points, 5.6 assists and 1.4 steals – in 21 games with the Wizards prior to last December’s trade.

Off the court, Arenas wasn’t a handful or distraction for the Magic. His teammates enjoyed his company, especially Dwight Howard. The two spent a lot of time together over the offseason and during the lockout. In November, Arenas played in Howard’s charity basketball game, which ended up being the point guard’s final game alongside his Magic teammates.

At this point in his career, Arenas would likely sign for the pro-rated veteran’s minimum. He’s a low-risk, high-reward addition and the Lakers seem to be weighing all of their options when it comes to improving their backcourt. Los Angeles currently has 15 players on their roster, which means they’ll have to waive someone if they decide to sign Arenas.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturd...gilbert-arenas

Comment

• Knicks staying patient as D'Antoni tries to get New York up to speed

If Knicks fans were deciding the fate of coach Mike D'Antoni, you get the sense he'd be gone and the Phil Jackson era would already have begun.

It's not just that D'Antoni's squad is losing, but that he's having such a hard time helping stars Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony align or following through on the unofficial promises made when New York landed Tyson Chandler. There was talk of titles in the Big Apple again when the champion center arrived, or at least talk that the Knicks' new front line would be enough to take them deep into the playoffs. Six weeks later, even making the playoffs isn't a certainty. With Friday's 99-89 loss in Miami, the Knicks have dropped eight of their last nine games and sit in 10th place in the Eastern Conference with a 7-12 record.

But sources close to the situation say that D'Antoni is safe for now and the foreseeable future. Owner James Dolan is remaining patient, and D'Antoni, who is in the final year of his contract, will be given an opportunity to make the most of the Baron Davis experiment that is about to begin.

Davis, who was picked up via amnesty on Dec. 20 and insists he's up for the challenge, began practicing this week and is expected to soon make his debut after being out with a back injury. He is, as the Knicks see it, the missing driver to the race car they have spent the last few years building. And until the hot rod goes around the track a few times, no one will be looking at the D'Antoni-led pit crew for answers.

The loss of Chauncey Billups, who was amnestied to create the necessary salary cap room for Chandler, has been huge. With Billups on board for the second half of last season, the Knicks averaged 107 points per game while allowing 105.6 points per game and going 14-14. Entering Friday, the team was on the wrong side of its own point differential this season, allowing 95.3 points per game (ranked 16th) while scoring an average of 94.5 points (15th). It comes as no surprise to anyone who has tracked D'Antoni's career. The high-octane offensive system he perfected during his Phoenix days is dependent on having a high-level point guard to keep the pedal to the floor.

As for the stars, Stoudemire and Anthony have only been teammates for approximately half of a season (54 regular-season Knicks games combined) and there's an internal belief that momentum and cohesion down the stretch could be enough to make for an impactful showing in the playoffs. Still, the lackluster starts for both players simply can't continue.

Anthony -- who missed Friday's loss at Miami and will miss Saturday's game at Houston because of ankle, wrist and thumb ailments -- has seen his scoring dip (26.3 points per game with the Knicks last season to 23.6 this season) along with his field-goal percentage (46.1 percent last season, down to a career-low 39.4 percent). Stoudemire is having his worst season since he was a rookie in 2002-03: He's averaging 17.8 points per game on 42.6 percent shooting this season, a sharp decline from the 25.3 points and 50.2 percent shooting of last season.

The schedule, if not the critics, will be kind to the Knicks in the immediate future. Only five of their next 14 opponents currently have winning records, and nine of the games are at home. It'll be worth listening closely to the public message of the Knicks players, as the continued support of the players (chief among them Stoudemire and Anthony) is paramount to D'Antoni's survival.

Dolan, who is notoriously stubborn when it comes to ignoring the pressure from the public that surrounds his team (see Thomas, Isiah), wants to see where this goes but cares far more about the mood in his locker room than he does the fans. But if there's no improvement a month from now and the rumblings that Jackson wants out of retirement and into Madison Square Garden continue to grow louder? Those Knicks fans who want D'Antoni gone in seven seconds or less might finally get their way

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...oni/index.html
                              sigpic

Comment

• Cavs interested in Hornets center Kaman

Count the Cavaliers among the suitors for New Orleans center Chris Kaman.

Although Cavs general manager Chris Grant declined to comment, NBA sources indicate the Cavs are interested. At this point, their level of interest is unclear, although the Cavs have long been admirers of the 7-footer obtained by the Hornets from the Clippers in the trade for Chris Paul earlier this season.

Kaman, who will turn 30 on April 28, makes $14 million this season and will become an unrestricted free agent this summer, another attractive factor along with his career averages of 12 points and 8 rebounds. The league-owned Hornets discussed extending his contract, but they have decided to go with younger players. Kaman was not with the team for its home game against Orlando on Friday and likely will remain away until a deal is done.

Given that the league must approve any deal, that could be awhile if the Paul trade is any indication.

The Cavs have been looking for a true center since the departures of Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Shaquille O'Neal after the 2009-10 season. They are starting Anderson Varejao, a natural power forward. The backup center spot has been a revolving door, as coach Byron Scott has tried Ryan Hollins, Samardo Samuels, Semih Erden and even rookie Tristan Thompson there without much success.

Still, there would seem to be a number of roadblocks to the Cavs being able to make a deal for Kaman, who was born in Grand Rapids, Mich., and attended Central Michigan. Chief among them would be what the Hornets would want in return. The Cavs are in their own youth movement/rebuilding process, so they're not going to part with a No. 1 draft choice. Rookie Kyrie Irving is off the table.

Another roadblock would be the competition for Kaman's services. With his expiring contract, he would seem to be a better fit for a contending team like San Antonio or Houston. Other teams reportedly interested include Detroit, Indiana, Utah and Golden State. In order to be traded to a non-contending team, like the Cavs, Kaman almost certainly would have to agree to sign an extension with that team.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index....rnets_cen.html
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X