This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacers talk with Celtics about Rondo deal

As Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge aggressively pursues possible deals for Rajon Rondo(notes), the
    Indiana Pacers have emerged as an intriguing suitor for the point guard, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

For the past few days, Pacers officials – and third-party surrogates – have been making calls and gathering information and insight into Rondo’s reputation as a teammate and leader, sources said.

The Pacers and Celtics have discussed the preliminary framework of a deal, but two sources said Indiana would need a third team to provide Boston with the talent it wants to do a deal. The Celtics are likely trying to gather the necessary pieces to make a bid for Ainge’s ultimate target: New Orleans point guard Chris Paul(notes),
    sources said.

It was unclear if the Pacers had begun to reach out to broaden discussions, but there was an expectation they would do so.

The Celtics have been gauging Rondo’s trade value for more than a year, and have held discussions with teams about him across the past few trade deadlines and NBA drafts. There have long been divides within Boston’s front office, coaching staff and locker room about Rondo. He can be moody, difficult and stubborn, and several league sources were dubious if the Pacers’ young coach, Frank Vogel, would have the stature to deal with Rondo.

Boston could be trying to gather players to make a more attractive bid for Paul, sources said. New Orleans has shown no interest in a deal that would include Rondo and any combination of Celtics teammates. Yet, New Orleans GM Dell Demps is determined to get maximum value for Paul, if it’s clear the point guard sees his future elsewhere. Demps has no desire to simply let Paul walk away as a free agent to New York.

Most teams in the league are engaging New Orleans about Paul, whose intentions are to get to the New York Knicks as a free agent in the summer of 2012. Paul does have some history in Oklahoma City, having played there with the Hornets in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, but the Thunder have resisted dialogue on a Paul-for-Russell Westbrook(notes) deal, sources
    said.

The Thunder are prepared to make Westbrook a substantial contract offer – probably a maximum deal – in the near future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...n_rondo_112911
    sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

Report: Nets to Offer Brook Lopez, Draft Picks for Dwight Howard

New Jersey will reportedly put together a monster offer for Dwight Howard before he becomes a free agent next summer. ESPN has the latest rumor: “The New Jersey Nets are prepared to offer a trade package featuring Brook Lopez and two future first-round picks to acquire Dwight Howard before the Orlando Magic center becomes a free agent in July 2012, according to sources close to the situation. Sources told ESPN.com this week that, to sweeten the proposal, New Jersey would likewise offer to take back the contract of Magic forward Hedo Turkoglu, who has three seasons left on his contract worth just under $35 million. Absorbing Turkoglu’s remaining salary would become financially feasible for the Nets after the expected release of swingman Travis Outlaw through the amnesty clause that will be included in the NBA’s new collective bargaining agreement and by including another smaller contract or two in the deal. Although teams won’t be cleared to start making official roster moves until Dec. 9 at the earliest following the 149-day lockout, sources say team executives have been discussing potential trades for some time in anticipation of a condensed and hurried free agency period before the season’s scheduled Dec. 25 start. No trade deadline for the 2011-12 season has been set in stone yet by the league office, but many team executives believe it will fall in March.”

Comment

Deron Williams will not sign extension with Nets, agent says

The slim hope the Nets had of Deron Williams signing a contract extension has been dashed completely.

Williams’ agent said his client will play out this season and become a free agent next summer.

Deron will not be signing the extension,” Jeff Schwartz told The Record this afternoon. “Based on the new rules it doesn’t make any sense for him to sign the extension. It has nothing to do with how much he likes New Jersey. Because of the rules, he’s going to play the season out and probably opt out of his deal.”

As The Record reported in today’s editions, sources with knowledge of the Nets thinking had been resigned to the fact that the chances of Williams’ signing an extension were slim.

According to the new rules, Williams can get a two-year extension from the Nets for roughly $39 million that would be tacked on to the two years, $31 million he has remaining on his deal. If Williams opts out after the season, he could get five years, and about $101 million from the Nets or four years and $73 million from another team.

Nets general manager Billy King spoke to Schwartz on Wednesday, the first day executives could contact agents. King expressed interest in Tyson Chandler and swingman Aaron Afflalo, and had conversations about Williams’ future.

“Jeff and I had spoken about Deron’s contract situation and I am very comfortable with their decision,” King said.

As The Record also reported today, Williams likely will be a Net for the entire season. The extend-and-trade option isn’t appealing to him, Schwartz confirmed. Through that avenue, Williams can only receive a one-year extension for about $18.7 million.

But the fact that Williams will opt out doesn’t mean he won’t re-sign with the Nets in July. They plan to do everything they can to make sure the All-Star point guard is with them when they open the Barclays Center in Brooklyn for the 2012-13 season.

Their hope is to acquire Dwight Howard in a trade from Orlando. In the meantime, the Nets also are targeting big men in free agency with Nene and Chandler topping their list.

They’re trying to build a roster that can compete for the playoffs now and become a championship contender when they are in Brooklyn.

Williams just returned to the New York area after playing in Turkey. It's unclear when he will show up at the Nets' practice facility. Players are permitted to go in for voluntary workouts beginning today.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/De...gent_says.html
        sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

Chris Paul requests trade to N.Y.

Chris Paul’s(notes) agent informed New Orleans officials on Wednesday that his client will not sign a contract
          extension and wants to be traded to the New York Knicks, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

As soon as the NBA lifts its lockout restrictions, Hornets general manager Dell Demps wants to meet with Paul and hear that directive from him.

Nevertheless, the prospects of the Hornets executing a trade with the Knicks appear to be relatively dim. The Knicks simply don’t have the trade assets that come close to meeting New Orleans’ criteria for a deal. Demps has been listening to overtures from teams around the league, and has been actively working under the assumption that Paul would reject a contract extension.

The Hornets have no intention of letting Paul walk away at season’s end without trying to get maximum value for him. There are several teams, including the Boston Celtics, that could be willing to make a deal for Paul with the hope of convincing him to eventually sign an extension.

The Hornets will be motivated to make a deal as soon as possible for Paul, and aren’t completely determined to get a point guard in return for him, sources said. They’re willing to play Jarrett Jack(notes) as the starter for the
          rest of the season, and mostly want to gather the best possible package of overall talent and draft picks.

Paul has reached out to Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard(notes) recently, encouraging Howard to find a way
          for the two to play together, sources told Yahoo! Sports. That would be a difficult scenario for the Knicks to make happen. Paul’s desire to join the Knicks was cemented after he spent so much time in New York over the summer with close friend, Carmelo Anthony(notes).

If Paul were to opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent after this season, he could sign a maximum four-year, $74 million deal with another team. The Knicks currently would have enough salary-cap room to offer him a four-year, $55.5 million contract with a starting salary of $13 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...a_trade_120111
          sigpic

Comment

Blazers Insider: The Brandon Roy amnesty case presents difficult decisions on both sides

Brandon Roy has a simple question he wants the Trail Blazers to answer: Do you want me or not?

Blazers president Larry Miller has a not-so-simple answer for Roy: Maybe. And that maybe is if, and only if, Roy can convince the team he is willing to accept a reduced role and be a good teammate. And even then, the answer is still maybe.

For Miller, the question of whether to use the NBA's recently added "amnesty clause" on Roy has little to do with basketball. And it has little to do with money. He is convinced Roy's cartilage-less knees are beyond repair and will never allow him to consistently play like the three-time All-Star we came to know when Roy broke into the league. And he knows that freeing the payroll of Roy's $63 million contract gives the Blazers a better chance at remaining competitive both in the short and long term.

The decision on whether to waive Roy, then, boils down to two things, Miller says: Whether Roy would be a good teammate, and whether cutting him would be a public-relations disaster.

"If Brandon were to accept mentally that 'I'm not that guy anymore, but I will do whatever I can to help the team,' it would make it easier to keep him around," Miller said. "We know every-so-often he is going to give us that game, and be the Brandon Roy of old, but mentally accepting where his game is, that's the bigger challenge for him. I don't know if he is there, or if he can get there."

Up in Seattle, Roy is confused and hurt. After all he has done for this franchise –the game-winning shots, the playing hurt, the countless public-appearances, serving as the guiding light out of the Jail Blazers era – he didn't see it ending like this, his future drifting in the wind. The least he deserves, he figures, is a straight answer from the Blazers, not these reports from "unnamed sources."

"I get it. Brandon gets it," said Greg Lawrence, Roy's agent. "It's not complicated. They are going to make a decision that is best for them. If they want him to be there, he will show up and work hard like he always has and do whatever it takes to help the team win. If they don't want Brandon to be there, he will move on. He just wants to know."

Timing is important

A quick decision would benefit everyone involved.

Next Friday, training camp opens. So does free agency. The first preseason games tip off about 10 days later. The season begins Christmas.

For Roy, he wants to know where he will be playing. For the Blazers, their decision on Roy will determine how much money they have to spend in the free agent market. In a nutshell, if they waive Roy, they can sign a free agent for up to $5 million a year for four years. If they don't waive him, they can sign a free agent for up to $3 million a year for three years.

So one factor at play in waiving Roy, Miller conceded, is whether the Blazers can land a player worthy of that $5-million contract – someone like a Carl Landry or Glen Davis.

"The Blazers say they are exploring their options," Lawrence said. "We are hopeful they will make a decision soon. Training camp opens next week and, if he is not going to be in Portland, he has a family to uproot and move."

While the Blazers work the phones and shop the free agent market for big-man help such as Landry, Davis, Chuck Hayes and Joel Przybilla, Miller is hopeful for a one-on-one with Roy to gauge his mind set.

He wants to see if he can accept a reduced role, one behind Wesley Matthews and Nicolas Batum, one that doesn't put coach Nate McMillan in an awkward spot every game. But truth be told, Miller is also looking for Roy's blessing. If Roy could accept their business decision, and understand it's nothing personal, and help trumpet that thinking to the fan base, it would help all involved.

That's where it gets sticky for Roy and his camp.

Lawrence said the two sides have had plenty of dialogue, during which Roy has repeatedly told the Blazers that he will accept any role the Blazers want him to play.

"Brandon knows and has conveyed to them in numerous conversations that all roles on the team need to be earned, and all he is looking for is an opportunity to earn a role based on his productivity," Lawrence said. "All Brandon wants is to know whether the Blazers want him to be part of the team and in what capacity. At this point, it would be nice to have some closure on the situation and for him to know where he will be playing this year."

Respecting the past

Miller has a tremendous amount of respect, admiration and compassion for Roy. And really, so does everyone in the organization and in the media who covers the team.

Roy is a stand-up guy, a warrior who plays through pain, and he so gracefully and bravely carried this franchise out of those sordid days when the team was defined by players involving in dog-fighting, pot smoking, drag racing and strip-club brawls.

It seems unfair that so early in his career he would be left with knees that no longer have cartilage, causing bone-on-bone grinding with every jump and cut.

That's why this decision is so painful for everyone involved. Roy, the Blazers, and this fan base have been through so much together. Certainly this deserves a better ending.

But as often happens in life, and in sports especially, not everything is fair.

He signed a five-year, $82 million contract in the summer of 2009, all but $5 million of which is guaranteed. Now, putting feelings and the past aside, the contract is an albatross.

If the Blazers waive Roy, it will put them under the luxury tax threshold, likely saving owner Paul Allen more than $25 million in taxes this season. By moving under the tax threshold, the Blazers would be allowed to spend more money in free agency this season. And it will benefit them even further next season when other big contracts like Marcus Camby and Raymond Felton come off the books, perhaps positioning the Blazers as a player in what will be a bumper free agent crop.

So when emotion is taken out of the decision, and basketball and finances are taken into account, the decision is a slam dunk. Roy will probably be a victim of the amnesty clause. The Blazers are likely to waive him.

It's a decision that will hurt Roy, but not cave him. He still gets his money, and the chance to play for another team and prove he still has the Roy magic.

And it's a decision that will hurt Miller, for he fully understands and appreciates the impact and value of Roy's legendary first three seasons, before his knees failed him and rendered him more ordinary than awesome.

All that Roy is asking, is that a decision is made, one way or the other.

"If they do amnesty him, he will be disappointed," Lawrence said. "He really loves being in Portland. He loves the fans and loves his teammates. And for five years he has repeatedly put the organization first while playing through painful injuries. But this is up to them, really. Hopefully, their decision comes sooner than later. Until then, we will wait for that call."

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...randon_ro.html
            sigpic

Comment

NBA players authorize return of union

Posted Dec 1 2011 5:59PM - Updated Dec 1 2011 7:07PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA players have authorized the return of the players' association, with more than 300 submitting the necessary signatures to a third-party accounting group.

The union must re-form before players and owners can continue negotiating a collective bargaining agreement. The hope is to complete the CBA next week so both sides can ratify it in time to open training camps Dec. 9.

When talks with the NBA broke down Nov. 14, the NBPA disclaimed interest in representing the players, paving the way for them to file an antitrust lawsuit against the league. But negotiations continued despite the litigation, and a tentative agreement was reached early last Saturday.

The union needed at least 260 signatures from players to be received by the American Accounting Association by the end of the day Thursday and had easily surpassed that number by the close of business.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/12/01/u....ap/index.html

LEBRON "KING" JAMES - GLOBALNI FENOMEN. G.O.A.T.!
              sigpic
              RUSSELL-WILT-JABBAR-JORDAN-LEBRON
              - 4xMVP -

Comment

Chris Paul's reported trade request to New York Knicks unfounded, sources say

With rumors swirling again about his desire to play for the New York Knicks, Chris Paul appears to be bracing for a season unlike any of his other six seasons with the New Orleans Hornets. On the same day Paul participated in his first volunteer workout at the Alario Center since the 149-day lockout ended, a report came out in Yahoo! Sports on Thursday saying his agent told the Hornets the All-Star point guard would not sign a contract extension and wants to be traded to the Knicks.

But two league sources confirmed after the story broke that Paul’s agent, Leon Rose, never made the request to the Hornets.

“It is just rumors; you can’t control it,’’ Paul said. “It’s always going to happen, and it’s part of the game. I’m just happy to be back with my team.’’

Whether the Hornets trade Paul or he opts out after this season remains unknown. Paul has yet to disclose his plans, and Hornets General Manager Dell Demps was not available the past two days to address the situation.

But sources indicate the Hornets still aim to sign Paul to a long-term extension. However, the Hornets have listened to several trade offers from teams interested in acquiring Paul.

Publicly, though, Paul appears as if he expects to remain with the Hornets. Earlier this week at a charity event in New York, Paul said his heart remains in New Orleans.

“Right now, we only have five people on the roster,’’ Paul said. “I think our most important thing right now is trying to figure out what guys like D. West are doing, too. He’s like a brother to me. I’ve never played a season without him, so (I’m) trying to communicate with him as much as possible.’’

Paul said Thursday he’s had conversations with Hornets forward Trevor Ariza on how they can get their team better, and that’s important right now.

Yet, if Paul indicates he is not interested in a long-term deal to remain in New Orleans, Demps is likely to pursue the best trade offer available that would give the team maximum value in return to keep the franchise from having to rebuild as Cleveland was forced to do when LeBron James left in free agency to join the Miami Heat. The Cavaliers finished 19-63 last season under former Hornets coach Byron Scott.

Desiring talent to make another playoff run, it does not appear beneficial for the Hornets to trade Paul to the Knicks. The Knicks gave away most of their assets to obtain Carmelo Anthony in an extend-and-trade deal last season.

The Knicks are not likely to part ways with forward Amare Stoudemire or Anthony. After those two, the Knicks’ next best player is 35-year-old point guard Chauncey Billups, who likely doesn’t fit in the long-term plans Demps and Coach Monty Williams would have if Paul is no longer around.

If Paul opts out at the end of the season and goes to the Knicks, he would earn $4 million less than the $17.7 million left on his deal for the final year with New Orleans.

Paul has made frequent trips to New York the past several months because he was a member of the players association’s executive committee that took part in labor negotiations with the league.

“I’ve been back and forth to New York 18 times this summer, and I was engulfed in all that,’’ Paul said. “I just now had time to actually see my family and actually take a deep breath and realize I’m finally getting a chance to play basketball.’’

The Paul-to-the-Knicks speculation has been swirling since he suggested at a toast during Anthony’s wedding in 2010 that he and his close friend should team with Stoudemire to formulate a Big Apple trio that’s similar to the Miami Heat’s trio of James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, who made it to last season’s NBA Finals but lost to the Dallas Mavericks.

Since the first day he joined the Hornets in 2005, Paul has aimed to win. He has suggested in the past that he wants to win now instead of having to wait.

Paul has leverage to scare off some teams the Hornets could pursue trading him to because of the threat of not signing an extension. If he’s traded to a team and decides not to sign an extension, that franchise would have him for this season before he could opt out.

There was an ESPN report Wednesday saying Paul would not sign an extension with the Celtics if he was traded to Boston.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...t_request.html
                sigpic

Comment

Nets have 'strong' chance to land Nene

There is a quiet confidence around the Nets about their chance of landing a big name in free agency. True, there was a quiet confidence around the Nets about their chances of landing Carmelo Anthony last season and you all remember how swell that worked out.

But they now have someone in place who wasn’t around for the Anthony sweepstakes: Deron Williams. And so the Nets are hoping Williams can help attract the type of player that in turn will make him want to stay.

League sources acknowledge the Nets are among the more aggressive teams pursuing Denver’s Nene and while acknowledging the suitor field is densely populated, one rated their chances as “pretty strong” with the 6-foot-11 hulk. Denver, Indiana and Houston are among the strongest competition.

Nene is the Nets’ top free agent choice.

And then there is Tyson Chandler of Dallas. Sources acknowledge there is mutual interest on both sides and one source close to Chandler said the Mavericks center and his camp were “waiting to see what the Nets want to do.” Chandler and Nene, both 29, have indicated they want out of their respective locales.

The overall grand prize for the Nets would be Orlando’s Dwight Howard, whom they will try to obtain with a trade package containing draft picks and Brook Lopez. But any movement there likely would not occur for some time, if at all, as the Magic aren’t jumping at the chance to deal the once-in-a-decade center.

So the Nets can’t sit and wait. They must be aggressive. And getting Nene or Chandler does not negate the shot at Howard. Should the Nets amnesty clause Travis Outlaw ($7 million this year) or renounce Kris Humphries ($6 million cap hold) — and they don’t need to do both — they would have ample funds.

And yes, Humphries remains on their radar. They have contacted his agent, Marc Cornstein.

They also need to address the small forward spot and the names discussed are familiar — Tayshaun Prince, Caron Butler, Andrei Kirilenko, and Shane Battier. Two other names have surfaced, Grant Hill and a name from the past, Boki Nachbar, who is back from playing overseas.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/...-rss&FEEDNAME=
                  sigpic

Comment

Rattled by Trade Rumor, Billups Wants to Stay Put

Chauncey Billups was yanked from his hometown and dropped into New York in February because of a superstar’s discontent. Now another superstar’s wanderlust could send him packing again.

Ten months ago, it was Carmelo Anthony who spurred the relocation by forcing the Denver Nuggets into a blockbuster deal that sent Anthony and Billups to the Knicks. Now it is Chris Paul, the disenchanted New Orleans Hornets star, who is reportedly agitating for a trade to New York, at Billups’s expense.

Although a deal is only a remote possibility, it would surely involve Billups, who plays the same position (point guard) and who is one of the Knicks’ few valued assets.

“It wouldn’t make me happy,” Billups said Friday in a phone interview from his Denver home. “Because for me, at this juncture in my career, I just want to win.”

At 35, with six teams and five trades on his résumé, Billups is a certified authority on change, especially the unplanned kind. He is not the sort to overreact to frothy rumors. But he has understandable concerns.

Billups fervently hoped to finish his career with his hometown Nuggets, then move into a front-office role there. He wanted to spend more time with his three girls, ages 14, 11 and 5. The plan was wrecked in February by Anthony’s trade demand. But Billups steadied himself, accepted new realities and instantly became the Knicks’ most important voice. He committed himself fully to the Knicks’ drive for respectability.

With Billups, Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire, the Knicks have the core of a solid playoff team, if not quite a title contender. They badly need upgrades at center and shooting guard and throughout the bench.

But Billups, who helped to lead the Detroit Pistons to the 2004 championship, sees potential in the team and is not ready to walk away. He certainly does not relish the idea of playing the mentor role on a struggling young team, not after the sacrifices he has already made.

“I want to win another championship,” he said. “I think we got some good pieces in New York. I felt like we were making that move to be possibly one of those top teams. I don’t want to play for no team that’s rebuilding.”

The Knicks were swept by the Boston Celtics in the first round of the playoffs last April, after Billups (knee) and Stoudemire (back) were lost to injuries. Billups said he is fully recovered, and probably much fresher after a 149-day lockout that delayed training camps by two months.

“For me, I enjoyed it, man,” Billups said. “I didn’t enjoy the stress behind it, but I enjoyed the actual time. It allowed me to spend time with my family. For a veteran like myself, you always enjoy the extra time, the rest on your body.”

Billups was closer than most to the tense negotiations between the owners and players. He sat in on bargaining sessions in February and June and attended two critical player meetings in November — including the Nov. 14 meeting when players elected to dissolve the union and sue the league in federal court. According to Billups, every player in the room was ready to lose the season, if necessary.

Twelve days later, the players and owners reached an agreement, ending the standoff.

“I felt like it was a great move,” Billups said. “For the first time, I believe we were on offense. And I think that everybody rallied around that.”

Critics, including some players and powerful agents, contend the union should have disbanded and filed the lawsuit sooner, as early as July. By the time the union made that move, six weeks of games had been canceled.

There are whispers within the agent ranks that those same critics want to oust Billy Hunter, the union’s executive director. Billups, one of the league’s most respected veterans, disagreed.

“I think that Billy has done a good job in these negotiations,” he said. “I think that he tried his best with what he was up against” — including a bad economy and a strident group of owners bent on overhauling the league’s financial system. “No matter what deal we struck, and at what juncture we struck it, everybody is not going to be happy.”

In the deal reached last weekend, the players agreed to a $300 million reduction in annual salaries, shorter contracts and a number of new restrictions on payrolls. On the final night, however, the owners made the biggest concessions, giving players more flexibility in the free-agent rules.

“I’m satisfied with the deal,” Billups said. “We made a lot of concessions throughout the process, which we knew we would have to make, just considering the climate of the world, really.”

Billups will join his teammates in New York for informal workouts next week, then open his 15th N.B.A. training camp on Friday. League business will reopen that same day, with the Knicks shopping for better role players and, perhaps, a new star point guard.

“It’s not going to change my feelings toward the way I prepare,” Billups said, “or my readiness to rock and roll.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/sp...stay.html?_r=2
                    sigpic

Comment

GMs, owners reluctant to jump into shallow free-agent pool head first

A visual comes to mind as it relates to the most unique of NBA free-agency periods that has unofficially begun. Picture a pool surrounded by the league's general managers and owners, all of them turning left and right to see what the other is doing while peering down at the water with a shared look of trepidation.

This is a pool party, after all, so someone will have to jump. But with big men Nene, Tyson Chandler and Marc Gasol waiting for them in the deep end and the talent level of free agents so shallow compared to last year's class led by LeBron James, no one is in the mood for a cannonball just yet.

"I think what you're seeing is that nobody considers anyone in this free-agent market to be a clear-cut, franchise guy that we have to do everything within our power to get," said one agent with a client near the top of the mediocre mix. "No one wants to be the first to give that stupid, crazy contract and have that article saying what a sham the lockout was."

As a result, the third day of talks between agents and teams came and went without any major news of a big-name player leaning hard in the direction of a particular team. While oral or signed agreements are not allowed until Dec. 9, after the tentative collective bargaining agreement is ratified, a mutual understanding of some sort is still possible. But the pace has been even slower than expected.

More than a dozen sources who spoke with SI.com said the countless discussions have been exploratory, with agents setting financial parameters and teams slow to respond with any sort of counter offer. They discuss the respective fit and the player's mentality, and attempt to gauge the level of interest from each side.

The feeling-out process is due, in part, because there isn't even ink on the CBA yet -- let alone dry ink -- and teams are still learning what the changed landscape means for their options. Some teams must decide whether they want to use the new amnesty clause on a player, or make another move to free up salary-cap space for a signing.

"[But] you have to judge the interest on the other side," Warriors general manager Larry Riley cautioned on Thursday. "How would you like to let the air out of all your tires, say 'OK, I'm going to get a new set of tires,' and then all of a sudden the only tires left are worn-out ones. Those things are continuously being evaluated, and to the point of stressfully evaluated."

More than that, though, the hesitancy is also rooted in the fact that no one wants to dive head first into the shallow talent pool first.

According to sources, Nene, Chandler and Gasol all set their early asking prices in the neighborhood of maximum-contract territory, starting at $14.8 million for Gasol, $17.7 annually for Nene, and $20.7 million for Chandler. There is plenty of crossover in their respective lists of salary-cap-friendly suitors, with the Nets, Rockets and Warriors appearing to be the hungriest shoppers, and the Pacers and Trail Blazers strolling the big man aisles as well.

The Nuggets are hoping to hold onto Nene, but it remains to be seen at what price since he is an unrestricted free agent. The Grizzlies, meanwhile, have made it clear they intend to retain restricted free agent Gasol but are reportedly facing competition from the Pacers. And despite the Mavericks' obvious need to hold onto Chandler to keep their title-defense hopes alive, the 10-year veteran told ESPN.com this week that he plans on being with a new team once training camp begins.

The non-cap-friendly contenders are hoping to get involved as well, with the Heat and Mavs mulling their big man options.

But if and when any or all of the top-tier free agents land their max money, the ripple effect will be great and the already-long list of bloated contracts may see a spike this season.

"[Are] there going to be some people who are overpaid?" Riley said. "We acquiesce to that. We do believe that there will be some people who get overpaid. If it's the right person, we might do that.

"But there aren't many of them, and to make a mistake right now with this roster would set us back, so we have to evaluate that very carefully."

By dipping one toe in at a time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2/free-agency/
                      sigpic

Comment

Green is looking to cash in
                        Wants long-term deal from Celtics

Celtics president Danny Ainge has been in talks with David Falk, the representative for restricted free agent forward Jeff Green, who hopes to be on time when training camp begins on Friday.

The Celtics have expressed interest in bringing back Green, who came to Boston as a part of the much-criticized trade that sent center Kendrick Perkins to Oklahoma City at last season’s deadline.

Green is weighing his options, which include a best-case scenario of signing a multiyear deal with Boston, working out a sign-and-trade, or accepting the Celtics’ qualifying offer and waiting to become a free agent next summer.

“Jeff has a desire to be in Boston,’’ Falk said. “Boston has a need. I hope Danny and I can come up with a creative way to reach an agreement.’’

The Celtics extended a $6 million qualifying offer to Green before the lockout. If he accepts it, the Celtics would be unable to trade Green without his permission.

It’s different from the situation that brought Green to Boston. The Celtics couldn’t reach terms on an extension with Perkins and didn’t want to lose him without getting anything in return, so they traded him and guard Nate Robinson to the Thunder for Green and center Nenad Krstic.

The Celtics not reaching a deal with Green, Falk said, would mean getting little for Perkins, ostensibly renting Green for a season and a half.

“Their ability to protect his value depends on his ability to make a multiyear deal,’’ Falk said.

If Green signs a multiyear deal, he’d be a secure piece of the Celtics’ future. But if he accepts the qualifying offer and waits to become a free agent - which isn’t that long of a wait because of the shortened season - he could benefit from being available during an offseason when many teams are expected to have money.

The 6-foot-9-inch, 235-pound Green came to Boston with the expectation that he’d be long and athletic and able to play both forward spots and even some center. But for the first time since he was a kid, he was coming off the bench, and the adjustment was difficult.

He played 26 games (two starts) with Boston, and his numbers dipped. As a starter (49 games) in Oklahoma City, Green averaged 37 minutes, 15.2 points, and 5.6 rebounds. With Boston, his minutes dropped to 23.5 a night, his points to 9.8, and his rebounds to 3.3.

“I think Jeff feels like he has unfinished business in Boston,’’ Falk said. “I’m not sure the people in Boston have seen the real Jeff Green.’’

There are four scenarios.

Green and the Celtics could reach a long- or short term-deal. Green has Larry Bird rights (allowing the Celtics to exceed the cap to re-sign him), so he’s eligible to make up to the maximum of $13.6 million.

Green could accept the qualifying offer. To a player, that’s the equivalent of signing for the minimum, a one-year deal for the least amount the team is required to pay.

The sides could determine that they can’t come to terms, and decide on a sign-and-trade. The Celtics would be able to get something in return for Green, and Green would be able to sign a deal he likes.

Green could sign an offer sheet from another team, which Falk says he won’t do. It would mean the Celtics would get nothing out of the Perkins trade.

Falk has known Ainge and coach Doc Rivers for nearly 30 years, he said, and emphasized that the talks have been “extremely friendly and positive.’’

“The best surprise is no surprise,’’ Falk said. “I don’t think you have to blow up a building to get a deal done. We have a great rapport.’’

The 25-year-old Green’s youth is important, not just because of the condensed 66-game schedule but because of the possibility that by 2013, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce could all be retired.

“In order for Boston to maintain a good team they have to have three players,’’ Falk reasoned. “[Rajon] Rondo’s one. Green’s two. And they would need another.’’

By not signing Green - or not figuring out a way to trade him for another piece - the Celtics would essentially concede to “blow up the team to start all over again,’’ according to Falk.

“There’s a tremendous pressure to maintain continuity and keep Jeff Green,’’ he said.

Training camp starts Friday, and Falk wants Green to be there.

“I want Jeff in camp on time,’’ Falk said. “I expect to have him in training camp on time, whichever training camp he’s in.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...n+Celtics+news
                        sigpic

Comment

Tracy McGrady ready to play, but where?

When the Pistons signed Tracy McGrady to a one-year deal before last season, he told president of basketball operations Joe Dumars that he was going to return to his old form.

McGrady told the Free Press on Friday that day is now, and nearly three years removed from microfracture surgery on his left knee, he is back to his seven-time All-Star form.

But will Pistons fans watch him try to live up to that proclamation when the regular season begins this month?

Or will he be playing for a contender such as the Bulls or Heat?

McGrady wouldn't discuss his prospects, saying only that the Pistons have reached out to his agent and he is open to playing anywhere.

But he said he is ready to go.

"I told Joe D that I was going to take the year and get completely healthy," McGrady said. "I am back, I have my athleticism, my knee is a lot stronger, my body is in shape. I have no restrictions.

"Everything will fall into place."

Before his health issues, McGrady, 32, was a star with spectacular dunks as a normal part of his game. He showed flashes of that form last season, bringing occasional stability to the lineup.

But the Pistons handled him with care. He didn't play in any exhibition games, and his minutes were monitored early in the season under the watchful eye of strength and conditioning coach Arnie Kander.

So McGrady was proud he was able to play 72 games and finish the season pain-free.

He said he owed a debt of thanks to Kander, and he used many of Kander's exercises while he waited for the end of the lockout in Houston. Now he said he feels as good as new.

He said expects to make a quick decision because he doesn't want to be looking for a team deep into training camp.

"I want to be in camp when it starts," McGrady said. "I don't want to be that dude, so I will make a quick decision."

http://www.freep.com/article/2011120.../1051/sports03
                          sigpic

Comment

CBA questions for teams: Eastern Conference

We’re still trying to ferret out the key details of the new proposed collective bargaining agreement — the ones that will define whether the NBA has made a real change beyond grabbing money from the players. In the meantime, here are CBA-related questions for each of the league’s 30 teams, starting with the Eastern Conference and continuing to the Western Conference. (Also, here’s a list from May of the likely amnesty candidates as well as a list of the best free agents available divided into big men, wings and point guards.)

ATLANTA HAWKS

Who will own the team long term, and are the current owners willing to spend in the short term? When the deal to sell the team to Alex Meruelo fell through three weeks ago, the incumbent owners said all the right things about being happy to still own the team — the very money-losing property they had just tried to dump. Those owners will probably look for new buyers eventually, and until they find one, we’ll see whether they are any more committed now to spending what it would take for this solid team to make the leap.

The Hawks have about $65 million committed to just seven players in 2011-12, meaning they’ll be over the cap but under the tax. Will they use the mid-level exception if it means going over the tax line — something this franchise has been unwilling to do? According to a source familiar with the proposed deal, all teams will be allowed to use the full mid-level exception, provided that doing so does not take them any more than $4 million over the tax line. If using the full mid-level takes a team over that limit, it will be allowed only to use the “mini” mid-level exception — a three-year deal worth $3 million per season.

Will the Hawks use the amnesty provision on Marvin Williams, even though that would take them — at best — just a hair under the projected cap line?

BOSTON CELTICS

Short term: How do they fill out the roster? Long term: Are they the Lakers Lite or a run-of-the-mill semi-profitable enterprise?

The Celtics have a half-full roster with the payroll — about $66 million for seven players — of a full NBA team. They have two key free agents in Jeff Green and Glen Davis, a bare front line, a shallow wing rotation and a stated goal of keeping a clean cap sheet for the summer of 2012. Can they build a title contender for this season and keep that clean sheet? The C’s will always be appealing to ring-chasing veterans willing to work at the minimum, and they would seem poised to snap up any quality amnesty victim/candidate. But it appears the new rules would make it impossible — or at least very difficult — for Boston to use the full mid-level and re-sign its core players. Using the mini mid-level is more viable.

In the long term, the Celtics will be interesting to watch. They’ll almost certainly blow past the tax level for 2011-12, but the owners, in the final proposal the players rejected, offered to wait two full seasons before implementing the new punitive luxury tax. The Celtics are a profitable club with a new TV deal that gives them equity in a regional TV network, but they have never been close to the Knicks and the Lakers in terms of guaranteed profitability. They are the kind of team the new tax may affect most. We’ll see.

CHARLOTTE BOBCATS

Short term: Do they amnesty DeSagana Diop? In pure dollars and sense, there are few more obvious amnesty candidates than Diop, who has two seasons and about $14 million left on his deal. If the Bobcats are willing to pay Diop to go away, they’d suddenly find themselves flush with cap room — something they could use to chase a low-level playoff spot while developing Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo, Tyrus Thomas, Gerald Henderson and their other young guys.

Long term: Can Michael Jordan make this work? Jordan emerged as one of the hardest of the hard-liners, and he’ll be working in a CBA regime that is a bit friendlier to small-market teams. Time to go work, MJ.

CHICAGO BULLS

Is Jerry Reinsdorf ready to spend? These low-priced contenders aren’t so low-priced anymore, now that Joakim Noah’s big-money extension is set to kick in. The Bulls have about $64 million committed next season, and they may well use the mid-level exception to pursue a shooting guard who combines the best qualities of Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer and Keith Bogans. Landing that player could take them into the tax and extending Derrick Rose would keep them there. Depending how quickly the league’s revenue rises — taking the tax line up with it — the Bulls might remain taxpayers for several years. Is the spendthrift Reinsdorf ready to break the bank for a champion?

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

With Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson aboard, plus another top lottery pick to come, the post-LeBron James rebuilding begins now. The only real short-term dilemma is whether to use the amnesty provision on Antawn Jamison or Baron Davis, or to keep both and use them as trade bait or (in Davis’ case, especially) mentors for their young players. There is a logjam at point guard here, with Ramon Sessions, Daniel Gibson, Irving and Davis all capable of playing the position, but paying Davis nearly $30 million to go away is a big sunk cost for a team going nowhere in the immediate future.

On the other hand, ditching either Jamison or Davis could give the Cavs enough space to take a real run at Nene or a restricted free agent big man (Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, etc).

DETROIT PISTONS

Is Rodney Stuckey, a restricted free agent, worth big money? And will Detroit’s new ownership, led by private-equity giant Tom Gores, be willing to eat salary tied to either Richard Hamilton or Charlie Villanueva via amnesty? If the answer to that second question is “yes,” they can re-sign Stuckey to a fair-value deal and still be players in free agency in each of the next two summers.

INDIANA PACERS

Can they land a big name, and should they strive to do so? The Pacers’ cap sheet is among the cleanest in the league. They’ll have more than $20 million in cap room even if they don’t wipe away James Posey’s $7.6 million salary via amnesty. Indiana’s top players have openly lusted for one of the power forward types available — David West or Carl Landry, though Nene would be a coup — with the thought being Tyler Hansbrough is not quite an NBA starter.

West will cost money — probably something like $10 million per year — and that matters for a team that will eventually have to decide whether to commit long-term to Darren Collison, Hansbrough, Paul George, Roy Hibbert and George Hill — the last two of whom will both be restricted free agents this summer.

This core will eventually get more expensive, though it may never quite reach into tax territory. Still, this has been a money-losing club, despite enormous public financing for its arena, and it’s precisely the kind of club this new CBA is supposed to help via revenue sharing and better competitive balance. Will it work?

MIAMI HEAT

Short term: Is Mike Miller gone? Miller put his Miami-area house on the market, admitting he feared getting the amnesty cut from a team that won’t have any cap space as long as the Big Three remain. Slicing Miller’s salary wouldn’t open up any such space, meaning Miami would be gambling it could find a better play via the full mid-level exception. Miller never found himself last season as he battled thumb injuries, but his shooting, ball-handling, passing and rebounding could make him an ideal fit alongside LeBron and Dwyane Wade, neither of whom is an above-average outside shooter.

The Heat could take a calculated risk that a higher-quality free agent would be willing to sign via the mid-level, and/or that amnesty will make other intriguing candidates available. But it’d be a risk, and as ESPN.com’s Brian Windhorst notes, the league’s looser-than-expected mid-level exception for teams a hair over the tax line (first reported by SI.com) could make it easier for Miami to keep Miller this season and use the full mid-level.

In the long term, the Heat have to be hoping the tax level jumps into the $80 million range (or higher) and/or that the league’s and team’s revenue jump even more than expected. Otherwise, they’ll be facing annual penalties, including extra punishments for repeat taxpayers. If everyone picks up their options, the Heat would have $70 million committed to just five players in 2014-15 — and that doesn’t include Miller.

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

Will the new deal do enough, via revenue sharing, to help the Bucks become profitable? Herb Kohl joined with Jordan as the most ardent voices in favor of heftier revenue sharing, even though Kohl has said before he cares little about making a profit from the team. The Bucks are set to have cap room going forward, even if they don’t use amnesty (and I’d bet against them doing so, at least this season). The biggest question here remains basketball-related: How good is Brandon Jennings, and if he jumps up a level, will he stay in Milwaukee?
                            sigpic

Sever celi sada se veseli, crveno-beli, 'ajmo u napad zajedno! Sa severa nek zapeva svako, nek grmi jako, Zvezda šampion!

"Nema velike ljubavi bez velike radosti, ali i bez velike patnje. E, to vam je Crvena zvezda. Ima da se raduješ do neba, ali sekiracija ti ne gine." Gospodin Ljuba Tadic

Batica Wilshere je gospodin covek...

All hail the Chan-Chan man!

Comment

NEW JERSEY NETS

Can they persuade Deron Williams to stay? This is it, really, for New Jersey, as the Nets get set to move to Brooklyn and become a potential financial juggernaut. The Williams concern is bigger today, after the owners agreed at the last minute to allow Carmelo Anthony-style extend-and-trade deals – with some restrictions, unknown as of now. The Nets are set to have major cap room, and they could carve out even more by using the amnesty clause on Travis Outlaw. New Jersey is reportedly interested in chasing a top big man to either pair with Brook Lopez or give it a guaranteed trade chip to toss at Orlando in a dream deal for Dwight Howard.

The Nets, like the Clippers, will be an interesting test case for revenue sharing — a big-market team with a so-so television deal, a recent history of losing money and a sky’s-the-limit future. When should they shift from receiver to payer? And how much should they pay?

NEW YORK KNICKS

Has the CBA hurt their chances of nabbing a third star? With sign-and-trades and extend-and-trades both allowed for now — with some limitations — the Knicks might have to wait, fingers crossed, to see if Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and Deron Williams hit free agency this summer. New York could have nearly $20 million of cap space then, but it has no valuable trade assets to throw at Orlando or New Orleans in the meantime.

The other relevant question here (as is the case with the Lakers) is this: Is any luxury tax harsh enough to stop New York from spending? This team has a massively lucrative TV deal with (essentially) itself, a rich fan base, jacked-up ticket prices and a renovated arena. Will the much higher tax penalties ever dissuade it from spending as much as rules permit?

ORLANDO MAGIC

Can they persuade Howard to stay? Using the amnesty provision on Gilbert Arenas will help with the tax blow, but it will not give the Magic the cap room to sign a difference-maker now. And this team needs one, especially with Jason Richardson entering unrestricted free agency. J.J. Redick is ready to fill Richardson’s role, but he is not the dynamic off-the-dribble creator Stan Van Gundy needs so badly.

Howard can terminate his deal after this season, and if he doesn’t seen sure title contention in the future, he could pressure the Magic into a Carmelo-style midseason deal.

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

Nothing much changes for the Sixers and their new ownership, headed by Joshua Harris, another private-equity giant. They could save a bit of cash by using amnesty on Andres Nocioni, but not enough to open up any real cap room, especially with Thaddeus Young and Spencer Hawes looming as restricted free agents. Those two players represent crucial decisions, and the Sixers will always get calls about Andre Iguodala. Regardless of what it does with Iguodala, Philadelphia is a couple of years from being a major free-agency player. The bigger challenge will be building this team back into the big-city, big-money club it could and should be.

TORONTO RAPTORS

Another team for whom the new CBA doesn’t bring any dramatic immediate questions. In good times, this is a profitable team in a large market, albeit one that hasn’t shown a willingness to pay massive luxury-tax bills. In bad times, it’s a money-loser. In other words: Toronto is like many other teams in the league, and if the CBA works as the league wants, the Raptors should be able to spend enough when they have the talent to justify it. They have cap space and a couple of so-so amnesty candidates, but the issues here are more developmental than CBA-related.

How they figure into revenue sharing will be interesting, too.

WASHINGTON WIZARDS

The biggest question here may be whether the Wizards end up as payers in the revenue-sharing system, and, if so, how much they chip in. This is another big-market team that should make money if managed well, and it has a clear franchise star in John Wall. The main issue will be developing Wall and the young players around him, and not overpaying any so-so veteran with the kind of contract that has crippled so many teams.
                              sigpic

Sever celi sada se veseli, crveno-beli, 'ajmo u napad zajedno! Sa severa nek zapeva svako, nek grmi jako, Zvezda šampion!

"Nema velike ljubavi bez velike radosti, ali i bez velike patnje. E, to vam je Crvena zvezda. Ima da se raduješ do neba, ali sekiracija ti ne gine." Gospodin Ljuba Tadic

Batica Wilshere je gospodin covek...

All hail the Chan-Chan man!

Comment

Valanciunas to play in NBA this season?

The Toronto Raptors drafted Jonas Valanciunas with the No. 5 pick in the 2011 NBA draft knowing it would be at least a year before he came to the NBA.

But a source close to the team told ESPN.com on Saturday that there's a small chance they might be able to get him this season.

The source said that the team reached out to Valanciunas' agent over the weekend to gauge the center's interest in joining the Raptors in 2011-12. If Valanciunas has interest, the Toronto would have to work out a buyout with his team in Lithuania, Lietuvos Rytas.

Valanciunas does not currently have an NBA buyout for this season in his overseas deal, but things have changed for Lietuvos Rytas over the past five months. They failed to qualify for the Euroleague this season and the team will likely lose critical sponsorship money. Given the current situation, they need money more than Valanciunas.

Does the Lithuanian center want to come to the NBA this season? Valanciunas told NBA teams prior to the draft that he felt he needed at least one more year in Europe to get stronger and play more minutes at the highest level before coming abroad.

But the Raptors believe Valanciunas may be better served by joining the NBA now. The 19-year-old big man spent the entire summer and fall playing in Lithuania, giving him valuable experience. He showed what he was capable of in U-19 play, averaging a tournament-high 23 points, 13.8 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per game to lead Lithuania to the gold medal. Against Team USA and Florida's Patric Young, a projected first-rounder in 2012, Valanciunas had 30 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks.

With the shortened NBA season, expectations also won't be as high. If Valanciunas came to the Raptors, he can practice with the team, get minutes off the bench and use the season to acclimatize to the NBA. By the start of training camp next fall, the Raptors believe he would be ahead of where he would be if he stayed in Europe.

If the Raptors are able to get Valanciunas now, it will be a major coup. Many NBA scouts believe he was the best long-term big man prospect in the 2011 draft and Toronto has a major need at the 5.

The news would also come as a blow to the Cavs. Cleveland had been high on Valanciunas and was expected to select him with the No. 4 pick. However, concerns about his buyout situation in Lithuania arose the week before the draft and the Cavs opted to play it safe and instead take Texas' Tristan Thompson after taking Duke's Kyrie Irving with the first pick. Had they known Valanciunas could come over this season, they likely would've taken him at No. 4.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ba-this-season
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X