This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Jackson says 'there might be' a job he'd take

Phil Jackson says ''there might be'' an NBA job that would lure him out of retirement.

The 11-time NBA champion coach tells HBO's ''Real Sports'' that the Knicks and Magic openings this offseason were not the positions to bring him back to the bench. In an interview scheduled to air Tuesday night, Jackson confirms that New York, where he started his playing career, didn't contact him before removing the interim tag from Mike Woodson's title, but ''I wasn't going to take the job, that's for sure.''

Jackson calls the Knicks' roster ''clumsy'' because their players ''don't fit well together.''

Amare Stoudemire needs ''to play in a certain system and a way,'' he said. ''Carmelo (Anthony) has to be a better passer. The ball can't stop every time it hits his hands.''

Asked whether that's the sort of situation he's successfully turned around in the past, Jackson says: ''Yeah. Well, it didn't happen.''

Jackson says he wasn't interested in Orlando because it's too far from his Montana home.

The 66-year-old says he's feeling better physically after knee replacement surgery in March. Jackson resigned from the Lakers for the second time after last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/phil-ja...mdJAbFRmq8vLYF

Comment

• Win-win for the Blazers, Jamal Crawford on deadline extension

It was a win-win situation for the Trail Blazers and veteran guard Jamal Crawford on Friday when the sides agreed to extend his deadline to opt in to his 2012-13 contract from June 15 to June 29.

The move allows the Blazers to use Crawford in a potential trade on draft night, which in turn, would award Crawford his Bird Rights, which will help him in his next contract.

Immediately after this season, Crawford indicated he would opt out of the contract, which would have paid him around $5 million next season, making him a free agent this summer. If the Blazers trade him on draft night, Crawford would first need to sign paperwork indicating he was opting in to his contract. If they do not trade him, Crawford will opt out of the contract the next day, and become a free agent.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in..._deadline.html
      sigpic

Comment

• Report: Lakers working hard to shop Pau Gasol

I would take this with a grain of salt, but the report from Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News confirms the long-standing rumors that Pau Gasol is on the block.

" The Lakers are committed to moving Pau Gasol — the fall guy for their second-round ouster against the Thunder and previous playoff failures — even if they have to take back less talent."

Of course they will take back less talent. Say what you want about Gasol being soft — something I don’t buy, he wasn’t soft in the 2009 finals when he bodied up and outplayed Dwight Howard — the guy is the most skilled big man in the post in the game right now. He struggled this season because Mike Brown kicked him out of the post and gave that space to Andrew Bynum. And sometimes Kobe Bryant. And even occasionally Metta World Peace. Brown had Gasol as a facilitator at the elbow, then people are somehow shocked Gasol doesn’t score as much and wasn’t as efficient.

When you trade a guy like Gasol, you never get back equal talent.

In spite of that, I have said the Lakers need to move one of their bigs to make the necessary roster changes to compete for a title. It’s not ideal, but with Kobe alone making $27 million next season (and $30 million the year after that) it is the only way to get the missing pieces, or at least come close. This latest rumor seems to confirm it. Although Lawrence then suggests Gasol could go back to Memphis, that’s not happening. The Lakers don’t need Rudy Gay.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...gasol/related/

Comment

• Vejd spasavao decu od bivše supruge

Maksimalnu pažnju koju je posvetio finalnoj seriji plej-ofa protiv Oklahome, Dvejn Vejd je na kratko morao da prekine zbog porodičnih problema. Naime, bivša supruga beka Majamija, Siovona Fančes, majka njihova dva sina, Zaira (10) i Ziona (5), oglušila se o dogovor prema kome je trebalo da decu pošalje iz Čikaga u Majami na "Dan očeva".

Kada je Vejdova sestra, koja inače živi u Čikagu, došla kod Siovone da isprati dečake na aerodorom, majka se nije odazivala na njene pozive, kao ni na pozive Dvejna Vejda, pa je morala da interveniše i policija. Vejdova bivša, sa kojom se razveo pre dve godine, imala je i saučesnicu, njenu prijateljicu Nadži Alarkon, koja je, navodno, udarila starijeg dečaka, kako se ne bi oglasio kada je Vejdova sestra došla po njih.

Kada su, konačno, dvojica mališana "olobođena", u Majami su otputovali privatnim letom koji je po njih poslao tata Dvejn, a u međuvremenu je pokrenuo tužbu protiv Siovone na osnovu koje će tražiti da joj se oduzme starateljstvo nad sinovima. Protiv nje su podnete i prijave od strane policije za pokušaj otmice i opiranje prilikom hapšenja.

Boze sacuvaj...
          sigpic

Sever celi sada se veseli, crveno-beli, 'ajmo u napad zajedno! Sa severa nek zapeva svako, nek grmi jako, Zvezda šampion!

"Nema velike ljubavi bez velike radosti, ali i bez velike patnje. E, to vam je Crvena zvezda. Ima da se raduješ do neba, ali sekiracija ti ne gine." Gospodin Ljuba Tadic

Batica Wilshere je gospodin covek...

All hail the Chan-Chan man!

Comment

• Run It Back? Ainge Keeping Options Open For Celtics

For all of my End of Days bluster and hyperbole, there's still a chance that Danny Ainge will look around and decide that the best team he can put on the court will look a whole lot like the one that pushed the (now NBA Champion) Heat to 7 games.

Danny Ainge wants to reload Celtics for another title run - The Boston Globe

When asked if he would bring back the four free agents if he were allowed, Ainge said, "In my perfect world, absolutely. It was a good mix of guys, and had we been healthy this year we had a real chance. Had we had the team that we sort of thought we’re hopeful to have before the year started, I think we had a real chance this year. And we did in spite of it. We were close anyway. But there’s nobody on the team I wouldn’t want back. And now it’s just a matter of trying to piece this thing together with the framework of the collective bargaining agreement and budgets.’’

I still think that even if the core is brought back, things will still be different next year. If Ray is gone that changes things drastically. Even if he comes back he's almost assured a 6th man spot behind Avery Bradley. With a full training camp and plenty of practice time and Danny Ainge leaning on Doc we should see a lot more of the young guys as well. We'd have to in fact, if we want the Old School guys to have enough to survive to and through the playoffs. Plus, argue all you want about the details, but in general it feels more than ever like this is Rondo's team now.

Star-divide

Yeah, I know, we've heard all this before but it still feels to me that next year's team is going to be different somehow. My gut is telling me that Danny will not simply run it back. He's going to do something unexpected or creative. Did anyone think he had a shot at David West last year? Yet he almost pulled it off. He was unafraid of going after Chris Paul and nearly traded Pierce and Allen at the deadline. This is not a man who takes the easy road without at least checking the GPS for some roads less traveled.

Still, he's not likely to make a move just for the sake of making one. If he thinks he can help this team - with a few tweaks - to make one more run, great. If he has the chance to start to rebuild on the fly and still compete, even better. The bottom line is that he lined up these contracts to expire at the same time in order to give himself maximum flexibility. He's got lots of options. One of those options is to run it back (while kicking that flexibility out another year). We'll see what paths he takes in the next few weeks.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/6/22...en-for-celtics

Comment

• The Heat are NBA Champions, does that change anything for the Bulls?

Like I said before the what-turned-out-to-be-perfunctory Game 5, one narrative benefit to the Heat winning the title is that they're just another great team now. The Bulls or anyone else don't have to beat them to save basketball and prove anything beyond being the better team.

But while their accomplishment makes them easier to stomach, one potential drawback that Doug Thonus points out is that whatever pressure lifted now may make the Heat even better next year. It definitely means there won't be any major changes, though figuring there would be after a potential 2nd round exit (remember those days?) would've been for the sake of change and likely just make Miami worse. But now their top 3 players are certainly staying, and Eric Spoelstra has some job security. They have another offseason to make signings of ring-chasers, and may actually do well this time (though Battier and Miller certainly stepped up in the Finals, and little else matters I suppose). Even their luxury tax bill could be alleviated a bit if Mike Miller retires and they amnesty his deal.

But while Doug says this may mean it could be best to just pack it in until 2014/15 (move Deng for a pick, wait for Mirotic, there's more at the link...), I hope that's not the case. Though I do see that side of it, it's a gamble either way compared to staying the course and waiting for Rose with much of this team together. Now if you're being cynical (and I will be!), if there are comparable options, the Bulls will likely just go with the cheaper, more 'hopeful' one. Doesn't mean it can't work out, but I'm not a fan of that decision-making process.

Should we be more scared of Miami now and plan accordingly? I think that if both teams were fully healthy, the Heat would be favorites but it was close. A team next year with a likely lessened Derrick Rose, some key depth missing, and Carlos Boozer existing, makes it probably less close. But you would be there to strike if one of Miami's key players went down, like the Pacers and Celtics almost did.

http://www.blogabull.com/2012/6/22/3...-for-the-bulls

Comment

• Stage set for Lin, Novak return but NBA will appeal

The union won and so did the Knicks.

In a bonanza to their free-agent summer, Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak have been granted their “early-Bird rights” by an arbitrator, giving the Knicks more financial flexibility this summer, allowing them use of their mid-level exception on a free agent.

Arbitrator Kenneth Damm’s ruling in the case against the NBA means Lin will be able to re-sign with the Knicks with the Bird exception. Novak was also granted early-Bird rights, giving the Knicks the clear edge in re-signing him, too. Without a union victory, Novak was as good as gone.

Nevertheless, within an hour of yesterday’s ruling, the NBA issued a statement saying it will appeal. If that spills over past July 1 free agency, it could create a delay in the Novak/Lin negotiations.

Union attorney Ron Klempner said he believes the appeal will be resolved by then. Asked if Lin and Novak will have Bird rights by July 1, Klempner said: “Yes.’’

Novak wants to remain a Knick and attended the hearing 1 1/2 weeks ago.

“Can’t tell you how great it is to have my Bird rights preserved,’’ Novak tweeted. “A lot of hard work was put in to making it happen.’’

By not having to waste their $5 million mid-level exception on Lin, the Knicks can use it to lure a veteran point guard of stature. The Knicks, however, may decide to spend $3 million of the $5 million exception to keep them away from hitting the $74 million cap number, an important threshold to avoid.

Steve Nash leads the cast of point guard candidates but he’s a long shot, especially at $3 million. Nash said earlier this week he would listen to a Knicks offer, but a Nash confidant said he doubts he would consider the Knicks for less money because he feels they are not close enough to a championship and wasn’t happy with the team’s treatment of Mike D’Antoni, Nash’s former coach in Phoenix.

But there are point guards the Knicks may be in the market for even at $3 million — including Jason Kidd, Jameer Nelson, Andre Miller, Ramon Sessions, Raymond Felton, Louis Williams. Also, shooting guard Ray Allen is a free agent and has some interest.

Lin is a restricted free agent, so the Knicks can match any offer sheet for him. With the union win, Lin’s early-Bird rights contract with the Knicks can be longer and more lucrative. Lin now can sign a four-year Knicks deal at $24.5 million. The Bird-rights starting salary would be $5.5 million, according to a source, with 7.5 percent raises each season.

No other team can offer Lin more than the $5 million mid-level in the first two years under the Gilbert Arenas Rule. Nevertheless, there is a scenario where the Knicks could get “punked’’ by another club in a back-loaded deal that would be the third-year poison pill. A club under the cap could offer Lin a three-year deal with the third year at the maximum — $15 million. The Knicks still can match the offer, but they would put themselves in a luxury-tax nightmare.

Toronto and Phoenix are the two teams most likely to execute that sort of offer sheet. The Raptors also have interest.

The victory was not unexpected after arbitrator Damm heard the case 10 days ago. The Post reported a source saying the union had a “50-50’’ shot despite commissioner David Stern’s boasts.

“We only brought this proceeding because we felt this would be the right result,’’ Klempner told The Post. “We’re really pleased. This was the spirit of the rule.’’

The union argued players claimed on waivers should keep their Bird rights just as players who are traded. The battle hinged on the word “trade’’ in the 2005 CBA agreement. In the 1995 agreement, players claimed kept their Bird rights, but the 2005 language was fuzzier

The union’s winning argument, according to the decision, was if the NBA intended to have claimed players lose its Bird rights, it would have used language to specify it.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...Icd2O0aXVNH1kM

Comment

• Clippers have long list of GM candidates

Kiki Vandeweghe, who was an analyst for Prime Ticket last season, interviewed with President Andy Roeser last week. No decision is expected before the draft.

Though no decision is imminent, the Clippers have begun the process of finding a general manager to replace the departed Neil Olshey, according to officials from three NBA teams who were not authorized to speak publicly on the Clippers situation.

Clippers President Andy Roeser and Coach Vinny Del Negro have discussed possible GM candidates, but they haven't yet taken anything to owner Donald Sterling.

Kiki Vandeweghe, former general manager of the Denver Nuggets and the New Jersey Nets, interviewed with Roeser last week, the officials said. Vandeweghe spent last season as a basketball analyst and sideline reporter for Prime Ticket on Clippers games.

David Griffin, vice president of basketball operations with the Cleveland Cavaliers, talked with Roeser this month during the NBA pre-draft camp in Chicago about replacing Olshey, who left the Clippers to become GM of the Portland Trail Blazers.

Representatives for Tony DiLeo, vice president of basketball operations for the Philadelphia 76ers, have also spoken with Roeser about the opening.

Mark Warkentien, a former GM of the Denver Nuggets and a consultant for the New York Knicks, has expressed interest too, and is someone the Clippers are considering.

Jeff Weltman, the assistant general manger of the Milwaukee Bucks who once worked in the Clippers' front office, also has been on Roeser's radar.

Former Portland GM John Nash and current Detroit Pistons assistant general manager Scott Perry are considered longshots for the Clippers' post.

It appears unlikely that the Clippers will have a new GM in place by Thursday night's NBA draft or when free agency begins July 1, the officials said.

Meanwhile, Roeser, Del Negro and Clippers director of player personnel Gary Sacks will handle all the duties of the draft and free agency.

Sacks, who has been with the Clippers for 18 years, could become a candidate for the GM job as well, officials said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,2896079.story

Comment

• Dwyane Wade may miss Olympics

MIAMI -- Dwyane Wade played with knee pain throughout the playoffs. He'll soon know exactly what was causing that problem, and if it could keep him out of the London Olympics.

One day after celebrating his second NBA championship, the Miami Heat guard told The Associated Press on Friday that he soon will have his ailing left knee examined, and acknowledges that surgery may be a possibility. Wade appeared in all 23 postseason games for Miami, averaging 22.8 points, and scored 20 in the title-clinching win for the Heat against Oklahoma City on Thursday night.

"I've got to make a decision on what my knee needs and what's best, because my career and finishing my career strong is what's important to me," Wade said. "And I know, yeah, the Olympics are coming up. It's something I really want to do. But at the same time, if I have to make a big decision, if something has to happen surgery-wise, that will have to be a step I have to take. My loyalty and my commitment to Miami Heat basketball is the No. 1 thing."

An MRI exam likely will take place in the next few days. Wade had the knee drained during Miami's second-round series against Indiana.

"From my small conversations with the doctor at that time, I think some kind of cleanup process might have to go on," Wade said. "And when that happens, from our previous experiences, it takes a while to recover. So I want to make sure that I want to recover strong and not like I did the last knee surgery that I had."

Wade had surgery on his left knee in May 2007. He led the Americans in scoring at the Beijing Olympics, averaging 16 points despite coming off the bench in all eight games.

USA Basketball plans to have the national team convene in Las Vegas and for training camp to start there on July 6. From there, the American team will go to Washington to begin training on July 13, with more sessions beginning July 17 in Manchester, England, and July 20 in Barcelona. The Olympics begin July 27 and the first game for the Americans in London is against France two days later.

The time demands could be daunting, especially with this NBA season ending a bit later than usual because of schedule changes necessitated by the lockout.

"This is the hand that's dealt to us," Wade said. "And I'm going to take this hand; I'm not going to complain and I'm going to move forward."

Wade said Heat doctors and trainers worked with him to find ways of ensuring that playing in the postseason would not make whatever the knee problem is any worse. He also spent time with his longtime trainer, Tim Grover.

"You know what, I was playing in a lot of pain," Wade said. "Obviously, my knee has been an issue. I sat down with the doctors a little bit during the Indiana series and talked about the possibility of what's to come. But I didn't want to think about it then. I said, 'Listen, let's just do what we have to do to make sure that I can give my all.' And they did that. I thank them for that."

He said he was sitting on his couch watching television on Friday when his thoughts turned to his hopes of being able to play in London. At that moment, he said an Olympic commercial appeared on his screen.

"Got a little emotional," Wade said. "I loved what we had and what we shared as a unit. The possibility of not being able to do that, man, it's a little different."

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketba...r-olympic-team

Comment

• Report: Bulls considering moving Joakim Noah or Luol Deng for pick and cap exception

The Bulls are in a lot of trade conversations, which is kind of weird. The team was the No.1 overall seed in the playoffs despite Rose having missed all that time, and Rose was the number one, no questions asked, absolute reason the Bulls fell to the Sixers. Why would they mess with what’s working so well? But for whatever reason, either their people, or the people they’re talking to, are very chatty right now.

The newest one is a doozy. The New York Daily News reports the Bulls are seeking a trade for Luol Deng or Joakim Noah in exchange for a lottery pick and a trade exception. Yeah. A trade exception. From the NYDN:

The Bulls want to give Omer Asik and Taj Gibson new deals, so they’re exploring ways to trade Luol Deng and/or Joakim Noah to teams that can send them a trade exception and a No. 1 pick.

via After coaching a dynasty with the L.A. Lakers, Pat Riley is looking to do the same as president of the Miami Heat – NY Daily News.

Now, it’s possible that this is the Bulls’ approach. Here’s why. If Bulls ownership is looking to cut future salary to ensure their ability to get under the luxury tax to avoid the repeater tax in 2015, they can get Asik and Gibson for cheaper deals overall than Deng and Noah. Deng’s got $27 million owed over the next two seasons, Noah is owed $48 million over the next four. Moving either one and having Asik and Gibson could help them keep the core together and avoid the repeater tax, especially if they amnesty Carlos Boozer.

Why would Bulls ownership just eat the Boozer salary in an amnesty situation? Wouldn’t that just equal the repeater penalty? Not necessarily. Remember that once Boozer hits waivers, any team can bid for part of his salary, which comes off what the Bulls have to pay him. Boozer has enough value that you just know a team would make a bid of up to half his remaining salary and still be getting a bargain. That, plus losing Noah and Deng’s money, would give the Bulls an out from the repeater tax, and some flexibility if they want to make another move.

That said… really?

Deng’s a top-five defender in this league, an NBA All-Star who’s shot has been on fire the past two seasons and plays perfectly next to Rose. Noah is a sparkplug center with versatility who you can lean on when someone’s missing or you need a play. You’re going to give that up for the subs and cap relief? It’s hard to believe, but one thing we’ve already seen is the league acting really weird in regards to that repeater tax. The Lakers and Mavericks have both been casting a wary eye towards it.

It could win up reshaping the league, and the Bulls could be a victim. For now, though, throw this one in the “probably not” pile.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ption/related/

Comment

• Larry Bird leaving Indiana Pacers

Larry Bird has decided to call it quits as president of the Indiana Pacers.

Bird is “100 percent sure” he will not return as president of the team, a person with direct knowledge of the situation told The Star on Monday.

Bird, 55, is expected to meet with owner Herb Simon today to finalize his departure.

Bird’s departure will end what had become annual speculation about his future. He and Simon operated under a yearly handshake agreement because Bird was not interested in a long-term commitment.

Bird spoke like he was planning to return for another season during his season-ending news conference last month.

“(I want to talk to Simon about) the direction of the team, what kind of job he thinks we’re doing, if there’s anything he sees that we should be doing better,” Bird said May 30. “Just a number of questions. I’ve got a lot of them written down to ask him, and hopefully we can get the answers we like and move on.”

Bird, who is dealing with some health issues, will likely take a year off before deciding if he wants to return to any sort of front-office position.

His departure comes just three days after The Star reported that Bird’s predecessor, former CEO Donnie Walsh, is expected to return to the franchise in some capacity. There’s a possibility Walsh will take Bird’s title of president.

Simon always has respected Walsh, who spent 24 years with the Pacers before leaving to become president of basketball operations with the New York Knicks in 2008.

Walsh, who took last year off, attended several of the Pacers’ pre-draft workouts at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

Kevin Pritchard, the team’s current director of player personnel, will likely work with Walsh as the team’s new general manager. Bird pushed for Pritchard to become general manager, citing Pritchard’s basketball knowledge.

David Morway, who had been the Pacers’ general manager, is no longer employed by the franchise, according to a source.

Извор: http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...TS04/120625056
                        Arise, Serbia!
                        You fell asleep long ago,
                        And have lain in the dark.
                        Now wake up
                        And rouse the Serbs!

sigpic

Comment

• Report: Atlanta Hawks, Brooklyn Nets talking Joe Johnson trade?

Could one of the NBA's biggest albatrosses be headed for the Big Apple?

The Atlanta Hawks and Brooklyn Nets are engaged in contract talks concerning guard Joe Johnson, according to Yahoo Sports.

Brooklyn and Atlanta are engaged in talks on a possible Joe Johnson trade, sources tell Y! Nets plan would be to pair with Deron Williams. Both Hawks and Nets are engaged in talks on several fronts. No deal close on Johnson, but sides have gone back and forth on possibility.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution confirms that moving Johnson is one of "several trade possibilities" for the Hawks with the July free agency period set to open on Sunday.

Johnson, 31, is a 6-time All-Star who posted averages of 18.8 points, 3.9 assists and 3.7 rebounds in 35.5 minutes per game last season. Perhaps more importantly, he has four years and more than $88 million remaining on his monster contract and is set to make $19.8 million in 2012-13.

The Nets, obviously, face a make-or-break moment in their franchise's history with Williams' free agency decision. Brooklyn is reportedly one of two finalists for his services, but he's made it clear that he wants to play for a winner. The Nets have just $13 million committed in salary right now, however they face a decision on Williams, restricted free agent center Brook Lopez is in for a major pay day, and Brooklyn has expressed a desire to re-sign forward Gerald Wallace, which could be pricey too. Still, depending on the timing of the move, Brooklyn could use its cap space to facilitate a trade, taking on Johnson's deal without necessarily needing to match salaries.

The Hawks just installed Danny Ferry as their new GM. It's not clear whether or not his mandate is to blow things up, but the general sentiment is that the team's current core has gone as far as it will go in making five consecutive playoff trips without advancing to the Eastern Conference finals. Johnson, a talented wing scorer, is by far the team's biggest contract. Shipping him to a team with significant cap space, like the Nets, could potentially get Atlanta under the salary cap, although the Hawks would then face the challenge of replacing his offensive production.

When Johnson signed a reported 6-year contract for $123 million in 2010, everyone assumed that his ridiculos contract would be dumped at some point. But not many thought it could happen after just two seasons. The question for Brooklyn: How far, realistically, can a team led by Williams, Johnson and Wallace advance in the postseason and is rolling the dice with that trio as your Big 3 really worth taking on Johnson's deal?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...-johnson-trade
                          Last edited by Ljuba90; 01-07-12, 03:13.

Comment

• Lakers, Nets, Rockets discuss potential Dwight Howard trade with Magic

The Los Angeles Lakers and Orlando Magic have had preliminary contact about a possible deal for All-Star center Dwight Howard, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Dwight Howard is pushing for a trade to Brooklyn, but can the Nets make a deal? (Reuters)

Orlando officials are willing to discuss trades for Howard, and the Lakers have been one of the teams in touch with them over the weekend, sources said. The Brooklyn Nets and Houston Rockets have also talked to Magic officials, sources said.

While the Lakers have yet to make a direct offer, there's no scenario where Orlando would move Howard to the Lakers without getting back Andrew Bynum, L.A.'s 24-year-old All-Star center. Pau Gasol wouldn't fit the Magic's desires to rebuild with young players and draft picks.

The Lakers had been willing to part with Bynum for Howard in March, but those talks ended when Howard decided to decline his early termination option and remain under contract through the 2012-13 season.

The Magic reached out to teams Saturday and told them that they’ll discuss proposals about moving Howard, sources said.

Howard and his agent, Dan Fegan, have repeatedly told the Magic in recent weeks that Howard wants to be moved, and that his preferred destination of the Brooklyn Nets hasn’t changed, sources said.

Nevertheless, time is running out for Howard to be traded to Brooklyn because Nets general manager Billy King has begun to aggressively explore deals for players like Joe Johnson, Luis Scola and O.J. Mayo in an attempt to surround free-agent point guard Deron Williams with more talent. Williams is choosing between the Nets and Dallas Mavericks and could make a decision in the next several days. Sources say Williams' patience with waiting for Howard to eventually come to Brooklyn is wearing out, and that he’s likely to make his decision whether to accept the Nets' five-year, $100 million contract offer devoid of Howard as a factor.

The Nets have already reached agreement with Gerald Wallace on a four-year, $40 million deal and are working to re-sign Brook Lopez, another of their free agents. Their salary cap will be too congested to sign Howard as a free agent next summer. For now, Brooklyn could include Lopez in a sign-and-trade with young players and future draft picks for Howard, but the Nets probably can’t construct the most attractive package for Orlando.

The Houston Rockets remain determined to try to land Howard, and have several young players to offer as part of a package.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ma...ht-howard.html
                            Last edited by Урош94; 01-07-12, 21:33.
                            Arise, Serbia!
                            Now wake up
                            And rouse the Serbs!

sigpic

Comment

• Sources: Steve Nash offered $36M

The Toronto Raptors have offered free-agent point guard Steve Nash a three-year, $36 million contract, according to sources.

Nash, a two-time NBA MVP, has spent the past eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns, but has made it a point in recent interviews to stress that he's "open to everything" and say he'll listen to any team that calls. However, industry sources monitoring the free-agent market have identified Toronto as one of four team that pose the greatest danger to the Suns in terms of signing Nash away, including the Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks and Brooklyn Nets.

It has been widely anticipated that Phoenix would offer him a new two-year deal worth at least $20 million, but it remains to be seen how far Suns owner Robert Sarver will go when the bids start coming in. The Arizona Republic's Paul Coro reported Friday night that the Suns "do not appear willing to meet (Nash's) wish for a three-year deal" and Suns officials are already fighting the perception that they selected North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall with the 13th pick in Thursday night's draft as the first step in dealing with Nash's eventual departure.

Nash earned nearly $12 million last season and averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists for a team that, with no 20-point scorer, nearly snagged the last playoff spot in the West.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...al-sources-say
                              Arise, Serbia!
                              Now wake up
                              And rouse the Serbs!

sigpic

Comment

• Doc Rivers: Celtics want to keep core together; hope to re-sign Ray Allen

Doc Rivers: Celtics want to keep core together; hope to re-sign Ray Allen

Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers wants to "bring the band back together." That, apparently, now includes bringing back Ray Allen.

The Celtics have already reached agreement on a three-year, $34 million contract with Kevin Garnett. Their top priority now, Rivers said, is trying to re-sign Allen. For all the talk about the Celtics breaking up their championship core after falling a game short of reaching the NBA Finals for the third time in five years, they now seem determined to push forward with their same stars.

"We want to get the band back together and add to it,"
                                Rivers told Yahoo! Sports by phone.
                                "We have a great locker room with no issues. Guys want to be back and want to be a part of this."
                                Allen has drawn interest from several teams, including the Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Heat, Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks and Dallas Mavericks, and plans to take his time in making a decision. Rivers thinks Garnett's return helps the Celtics' chances of re-signing Allen. Allen and Garnett arrived in Boston in the summer of 2007 and joined Paul Pierce in forming a core that won the NBA championship their first season together.

Rivers thinks the Celtics will be the last team to get to talk to Allen before he makes his decision. Free agents can't sign contracts until July 11, but are able to make verbal commitments during the NBA's moratorium on transactions.

"We called him," Rivers said. "He lives in Boston and loves it in Boston. Ray will look around, but we will be there at the end. I'm hopeful he will re-sign."
                                Rivers is happy Garnett has agreed to return on a three-year contract. The last year of the deal isn't expected to be fully guaranteed.

"I'm thrilled to get him back," Rivers said. "When you see his numbers on the floor and his impact off the floor, he's as important as anyone on our team."
                                Allen battled ankle issues last season and was replaced in the starting lineup by Avery Bradley until a shoulder injury sidelined Bradley in the playoffs. Bradley had surgery, but might not be back until December, Rivers said. The Celtics have tried to solidify the shooting guard position by pursuing Dallas Mavericks free agent Jason Terry in addition to Allen, and Rivers said he can envision the team signing both.

Celtics president Danny Ainge spoke to Terry on Sunday. Terry also is receiving interest from the Memphis Grizzlies, the Los Angeles Clippers, Suns and Mavericks.

"We've given our pitch,"
                                Rivers said.
                                "We're definitely in the picture and we have a lot of interest."
                                The Celtics used the 21st and 22nd picks in last week's draft to add a couple young big men: Ohio State's Jared Sullinger and Syracuse's Fab Melo. Sullinger was considered a top five pick a year ago, but concerns about his back caused him to drop in the draft.

"I love Sullinger and I didn't think we'd ever get him," Rivers said. "It's funny when guys drop who dominate in college. Did they forget how to play?"
                                In addition to Allen, the Celtics have several other free agents, including forward Brandon Bass. Bass has drawn interest from several teams, but Rivers is hopeful the Celtics can keep intact as much of last season's roster as possible.

If we can get them all, we will try to get them all,"
                                Rivers said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--do...Hz_DKxe4C8vLYF
                                Originally posted by Brajkula
                                Veruj meni, radi kako hoćeš

Brajkula, 2014. N.E

Comment

Working...
                                X