This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwight Howard among five NBA trade scenarios to watch as deadline nears

With the NBA lockout pushing back the trade deadline to March 15 and the playoffs beginning just six weeks later, some team executives are wondering whether it’s even worth it to make a trade this season. And several officials have called this the quietest trade deadline in years.

“I’d be surprised if we see a lot of deals,” one Western Conference executive said. “In a short season, you can survive another 30 games and start talking trade to teams during the draft lottery.”

Said an East exec: “A playoff or playoff-hopeful team might do something to get them over the hump. But even if you have a problem guy, you don’t have to wait that long for the season to be over. It’s always hard to predict.”
    The Orlando Magic’s potential trade of Dwight Howard is just one of five scenarios to watch leading up to the deadline.

Howard: The Orlando center hasn’t dropped his request to be dealt, but the Magic have spent more time discussing potential trades to bring in some help than deals to send him elsewhere. Howard can become a free agent after the season, and the uncertainty surrounding his future has stalled other potential trades.

“Dwight is holding up the league trade-wise right now,” one general manager said. “Everyone has crazy ideas here and there. But teams are reluctant to make a trade until something happens there.”

Los Angeles Lakers big men Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol: The Lakers will likely only move Bynum in a deal for Howard, sources said. The Houston Rockets still have interest in Gasol – who they nearly acquired in the offseason – but will likely have to recruit a third team that can send a point guard to the Lakers. The Rockets have shown no inclination to move their own point guard, Kyle Lowry.

The Lakers also could target the Cleveland Cavaliers’ Ramon Sessions, Utah Jazz’s Devin Harris or Portland Trail Blazers’ Raymond Felton in potential smaller deals. The Minnesota Timberwolves have shopped forward Michael Beasley to the Lakers, among other teams.

Boston Celtics’ Big Four: The Celtics won’t trade Rajon Rondo unless they receive a superstar in return. Trading Paul Pierce also appears unlikely. Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett are in the last year of their deals, which could free up salary-cap room in the summer. But Boston could also decide to deal either for a draft pick or quality young player.

Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash: Nash will only be moved by the deadline if he asks to be traded, a source said. The All-Star, however, doesn’t appear interested in making that request. Nash is in the last year of his contract and could walk at the end of the season.

Golden State Warriors guard Monta Ellis: The Warriors’ preference is to include Ellis in a package for Howard. Ellis also has become more expendable because of the development of rookie Klay Thompson

Other players to watch: Beasley; Felton; Sessions; Harris; Warriors center Andris Biedrins; Blazers guard Jamal Crawford; Charlotte Bobcats forward Boris Diaw; New Orleans Hornets center Chris Kaman; Rockets guard Courtney Lee; Dallas Mavericks forward Shawn Marion; Detroit Pistons guard Ben Gordon; Milwaukee Bucks forward Stephen Jackson; Sacramento Kings forward J.J. Hickson; Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...didates_030812

Comment

• Bulls in tricky spot with ailing Rip Hamilton, Luol Deng

The Bulls have passed the midway point of the season and quickly might be approaching the tipping point.

Rip Hamilton acknowledged that doctors have predicted it will take a month for him to return from a sprained shoulder, which doesn’t allow for much wiggle room with the regular season ending April 26.

Luol Deng told reporters after the loss Thursday against the Magic that the torn ligament in his left wrist has become extremely painful, so he might be forced to miss games.

The Bulls have the best record in the Eastern Conference. Magic coach Stan Van Gundy called them the “best team in the league” after Thursday’s game. Bobcats coach Paul Silas said the Bulls have the best roster in the NBA.

“It’s a great team that will do all the little things,” Van Gundy said. “They will screen; they will move the ball. They’re very unselfish. To me, they play the game consistently better than everybody in the league.”

There’s still plenty of time for Deng to get his wrist right before the postseason begins. Even if it takes Hamilton a month to fully recover, he’d still have 10 regular-season games to play himself into shape and find chemistry with his teammates before a first-round playoff series begins, which seems about right.

While that scenario for Deng and Hamilton seems entirely plausible, so does the possibility that Deng is never his old self and Hamilton faces a setback or suffers another injury while trying to return from his sprained shoulder.

If that’s the case, the season would seem destined to end with an exhausted Derrick Rose trying to do too much to compensate for injuries to two players who are supposed to share the scoring load.

The trade deadline offers little relief because vice president John Paxson and general manager Gar Forman are determined to keep this core group together, and with good reason. There will be many rumors swirling about possible trades by the Bulls. Some of these deals sound enticing until you find out what the Bulls would have to give up.

This team has been very carefully pieced together. The pieces fit when the roster is healthy. Even if Forman made a deal to upgrade a position, there’s no guarantee the chemistry would be the same.

Forman has to balance the desire to do whatever it takes to win this season with a longer view. He doesn’t want to make a rash trade to help win now if it prevents the Bulls from winning multiple titles in future years.

Never say never. A trade could pop up at any time. But there’s no urgency to make a deal.

Meanwhile, the Bulls will play 15 of their next 24 at the United Center, which is good news. But the teams coming to town are formidable, especially with Hamilton out and Deng ailing. The Bulls host the Jazz on Saturday night before the Knicks, Heat, Blazers and 76ers visit next week. Then it’s back to Orlando for a rematch with the Magic.

With Hamilton and Deng less than 100 percent, hanging on to the best record in the East could be a challenge.

These Bulls still don’t know how good they are. That’s the bottom line. The Bulls only have played 10 games with their starting five of Rose, Hamilton, Deng, Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah on the floor.

In many ways, this remains a mystery team until the full impact of the Hamilton acquisition can be gauged.

“We just have to wait and see,” Rose said. “We know we can be pretty good, but we really can’t talk about it until he gets better.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baske...luol-deng.html

Comment

• Heat's formula delivers another win

MIAMI – There were two minutes left in overtime and the Indiana Pacers were up five points. There were three possessions left in the game for the Miami Heat. LeBron James was to have the ball in his hands on all three.

Here it went again, another referendum on what James would do in a game that actually had a playoff-type feel. What decisions would he make? Would he be the game’s hero or the game’s goat?

This, fair or unfair, is a focal point of his career now. It may not be relevant in five years or next year. Or it may define him. Whatever the outcome, James is well aware of this and is mindful of it. All of which makes his actions and reactions meaningful on nights like these.

The three plays went like this: James shot, James passed and James passed.

All three could be termed the “right basketball play,” the criteria he has long set as a goal for these situations. This time the right basketball play worked as it was supposed to. All three possessions played out exactly how James wanted them and the Heat took a 93-91 victory over the Pacers.

Dwyane Wade was rightfully the hero, hitting an off-balance jumper just ahead of the buzzer for the winning basket and the last of his 28 points. It was a tremendous shot that took some talent and some luck.

It was Wade’s third game-winning shot of the season.

“We have a lot of weapons,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. “We are at our best when you’re not necessarily sure where that last shot is coming from.”

This is both politically correct and the way the Heat have continued to operate. It has led to plenty of criticism, mostly fired at James. But the Heat are staying the course.

In this case the ball got to Wade’s hands because James put it there. James had possession with 20 seconds left and he called Wade over to give him the last shot. James looked to the bench and signaled to Spoelstra and signaled he wanted to hold for the last shot and he wanted to give the ball to Wade.

The coach nodded and put the timeout he had in his pocket. There is an interest in who the team’s so-called “designated closer” is. The Heat attempt to ignore issue but on this night it was James who designated that he wanted Wade to take the last shot.

“I gave the ball to D-Wade and he made it happen,” said James, who had 27 points. “I didn’t second-guess it at all. I had enough opportunities to make plays. I made a few that put us in position to win. That is all I want to do, make plays that give us a chance to win.”

On the possession before, with the Heat down two, James also called the play. Again, it was not for him. It was a pick-and-roll that set up Chris Bosh for a clean jumper that tied the game. The Pacers, who had seen James put 14 points on them in the fourth quarter and overtime, focused on James while James focused on getting Bosh a clean look.

“Not that many people take the last shot, there’s a very small percentage in the world,” Bosh said. “We could say it is my turn, it is my shot and be selfish. But we don’t.”

James started the strong finish with a pivotal 3-pointer that made it a one-possession game with 1:44 left in overtime. It was the fourth big basket he made down the stretch. It included two baskets on breakaways late in the fourth quarter, one that turned into a 3-point play. Plus a 3-pointer with 10 seconds left in regulation that forced overtime, a rainbow from the corner -- at the end of a four-pass string -- that instantly became one of the most clutch shots he has made as a member of the Heat.

James was mostly emotionless after making the shot and wasn’t too fired up talking about it afterward, but it had to take a load off him after there’s been so much discussion about this very topic for months on end.

“I’ve made game winners, I’ve shot and missed game winners, I’ve made passes for game winners and I’ve made passes where the shot doesn’t go in,” he said.

“I’m not too concerned what (opinions are) out there. I can only be concerned with what happens in our locker room. The coaching staff that I have here now and I the coach I had in Cleveland gave me all the confidence to make the right play at the end.”

It was a quality victory as well. The Pacers, who were drilled in their previous two meetings against the Heat by a total of 50 points, treated this like a mini-playoff game. They spent three days preparing for the Heat and wanted to make a statement.

They nearly did, leading almost the entire game and appearing to have control late in the fourth quarter and overtime. But James led comebacks both times before Wade, who had just six points with six assists in the second half.

In total, James' late-game playmaking was nearly flawless. It indeed looks so much better when he passes and his teammates make the shots. Either way, he doesn’t plan to change his method.

“I understand what comes with it,” James said of his decision-making. “It is good when you’re able to make a play that is successful for your team.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/mia...rs-another-win

Comment

• Ainge wanted Hansbrough and a first rounder for Ray Allen

Bird predicts the Noveau Three, like the Vintage Three, will remain intact until the end of this season, when the contracts of both Allen and Garnett expire.

"Here's the thing," Bird said. "When Danny and I talked about trading for Ray, he wanted Tyler Hansbrough and a first-round pick. If that's the value he's putting on Ray Allen, he ain't getting it. That tells me he's in no hurry to trade him.

"All that talk about Danny blowing it up, about not making the same mistakes as Red, is fine.

"But now that it's his turn to pull the trigger, it's a helluva lot harder than it looks."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/...-original-trio
          sigpic

Comment

• Bogut at crossroads with Bucks

Toronto - It may not happen this week, but it might.

Andrew Bogut, a fixture with the Milwaukee Bucks franchise since being selected No. 1 overall in the 2005 draft, could be a Bucks player no more.

The Bucks will listen to offers for the 7-foot center before the Thursday trade deadline and could move him if they get the right package in return.

The situation is complicated by Bogut's fractured left ankle, making it somewhat unlikely he could help another team yet this season. Bogut was injured Jan. 25 in Houston when he went up to block a shot and landed on the foot of Houston Rockets guard Kyle Lowry.

And he is signed for two more years and $27 million, a lot of money for a team to risk on a player with Bogut's injury history.

But he is a talented big man, a shot blocker and intelligent defender. Frankly, he's the player the Bucks have built their team around since he was signed to a five-year, $60 million contract extension in the summer of 2008.

The problem from the Bucks perspective is Bogut has been injured for much of the time since signing the deal.

Bogut was limited to 36 games in the 2008-'09 season due to a lower back injury. The following season was arguably the best of his pro career as he averaged 15.9 points and 10.2 rebounds while helping the Bucks reach the Eastern Conference playoffs.

But his season ended prematurely with a gruesome injury to his right hand and right elbow, suffered when he crashed to the Bradley Center floor while dunking the ball against Phoenix.

He came back last season but still was severely hampered by the injury and eventually had another surgery in April 2011 to remove a bone chip in his elbow.

Bogut had high hopes this season but has been reduced to sitting in a suit while wearing a protective boot on his injured foot. He played in just 12 games before being hurt.

In the past four seasons he has played in 182 of a possible 293 games (including seven playoff games).

"Most smart people understand if you take these last two injuries away I don't miss a chunk of these last three seasons," Bogut said. "I hate to say it. I sound like a broken record.

"I can't control landing on someone's foot and breaking my ankle. I can't control coming off the rim and landing on my elbow. If I had tucked my elbow in and landed on my shoulder, I'm fine.

"I can't control those two things. I've rarely missed games for soft tissue injuries or lack of conditioning or being overweight. They were high-impact injuries."

Bogut was loyal to Milwaukee when the time for an extension came around and he was at the end of his rookie contract.

But now he may be looking for a fresh start with another team, hoping to erase the injury stigma that has haunted him in Milwaukee.

But if a parting happens it could be a mutual feeling.

The Bucks also are at a crossroads of sorts, trying to determine what kind of team they are. While Bogut has been on the sideline, the Bucks have generated more offense and pushed the pace with point guard Brandon Jennings getting up the floor.

Coach Scott Skiles has not been happy with his team's defensive progress, but it has taken some major steps forward on the offensive end.

Philadelphia coach Doug Collins pointed out last week that the Bucks were a much different looking team since the first time the 76ers played them in January.

"They're a little bit more open floor," Collins said. "They're playing a little bit more like when Scott was coaching in Chicago, I think.

"They spread the floor and get dribble penetration, a lot of screen-rolls, a lot of side-to-side action. Three-point shooting is a very big part of what they're doing. They're one of the best teams in the league, especially recently, with steals and points off turnovers.

"They've had some heartbreaking losses; they've been like us. They've been in the fourth quarters of some games. Atlanta hit them with a big fourth quarter; they lost a tough game in Boston. They've played better than what their last 10 or 11 games would say, record-wise."

The Bucks enter Sunday's game in Toronto with a 16-24 record, two games out of the last Eastern Conference playoff spot.

Would trading Bogut help them turn around that record or only make things worse?

Drew Gooden has stepped in at center in Bogut's absence and done a creditable job. The 6-foot-10 veteran is undersized against some of the powerful big men in the league, but he also has the ability to hit the medium-range jump shot and is a nearly 86% free throw shooter.

Power forward Ersan Ilyasova also has thrived, improving his season averages to 11.9 points and 8.8 rebounds while helping clinch close recent victories over Washington and New York.

If Bogut remains with the team past the trade deadline, a deal still could be made during the summer. Or he could stay with the team for the duration of his contract.

But that seems unlikely at this point.

"It's a frustrating injury because you don't know the extent of it," said Bogut, who will have another ankle scan in two or three weeks. "If we made the playoffs, I would like to be back.

"But at the same time, with these injuries you have to be 100%. You come back at 80%, then you have an Achilles' problem or a calf problem. As opposed to the elbow, where I knew I wasn't coming back 100%.

"This is a little different. When it's a wheel carrying 120 kilos, 270 pounds, you've got to be careful with it."

Bogut said his right elbow has improved but will never be the same as it was before his injury.

"The elbow is basically as good as it's going to get," Bogut said. "Last season was frustrating.

"It feels great. I had an off-season of shooting and conditioning where I could do that every day without any setbacks, and it (surgery) really helped."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks...142221245.html

Comment

• Clock ticking on Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard decision

The only certainty about Dwight Howard's Orlando Magic future is that the team's front office will have made one of the most important decisions in franchise history by 3 on Thursday afternoon.

The team can trade Howard before the deadline to ensure it receives assets in return or it can hold on to the superstar center beyond the deadline and take the very real risk that Howard will sign elsewhere in July and leave the franchise empty-handed. Neither choice is palatable.

On Saturday, Magic General Manager Otis Smith and Howard did not offer any new clues on what will happen.
              Smith continued to say the team's chances of keeping Howard past the deadline are 50-50, although it's unclear whether Smith was being coy or simply following a noncommittal script designed to prompt other teams to improve their trade offers. Asked whether the calls from other teams about Howard are intensifying, Smith said those calls have not been as active as they were months ago.

As for Howard, he would not speak with the media when a television reporter asked him to answer some questions after a two-hour practice Saturday at Amway Center.

All signs are that Magic Chief Executive Officer Alex Martins continues to speak with Howard almost daily to convince Howard to stay. And it also appears that Smith has attempted to upgrade the roster since the All-Star break in an effort to sway Howard.

Martins has said he is "hopeful" that Howard will remain long-term, which jibes with the team's overall message that it will do whatever it can to retain the superstar center for years to come.

In recent months, since he was promoted into his current role, Martins has used the phrase, "Time is our ally." What he means is that Magic officials feel the team was hurt badly by the lockout because the league prevented all teams from speaking with their own players during the labor dispute.

From late December on, Martins has said he has wanted to take as much time as possible to rebuild the relationship with Howard.

Now it seems there is a real possibility that the team will keep Howard beyond the trade deadline and take its chances this summer.

Doing that would have several advantages.

First, it would give the Magic at least one more chance to pursue a title for the team's 86-year-old owner, Rich DeVos. Although the Magic have several clear deficiencies — often-subpar point-guard play, inconsistent performances from small forward Hedo Turkoglu and a starting five with up to four below-average defenders — the team has the third-best record in the Eastern Conference and the fifth-best record in the NBA.

Second, the Magic would be the only team that could offer Howard a five-year deal worth a maximum of $109.2 million. All other teams would be limited to a four-year deal worth a maximum of $81.1 million.

Third, it would put the spotlight on Howard when the free-agency period begins in July. Howard, like most people, likes to be liked. And if he were to sign elsewhere, doing so clearly would be his decision. The Magic, meanwhile, could turn to their fan base and say, "We did everything we could to keep him."

And, finally, it would give Martins and the Magic even more time to try to convince Howard to stay or, at least not exercise the early termination clause in his contract and remain with the team at least through the 2012-13 season.

Just several months ago, that possibility seemed terribly unlikely.

Now, however, nothing seems certain.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,7546486.story

Comment

• Keep Dwight? Not if the Magic could trade him to Chicago

The Orlando Magic would like to seriously engage the Bulls in trade talks for Dwight Howard, but the All-Star center's apparent reluctance to make a long-term commitment to Chicago has all but killed the discussions, league sources told CBSSports.com.

The feeling among rival executives remains that the Magic seem intent on rolling the dice and keeping Howard for the rest of the season, hoping a long playoff run, emotional ties to Orlando and an extra year and $29 million they could offer would persuade him to stay beyond this season. But the move would be highly risky, given that Howard has refused to publicly commit to the Magic -- a stance that sources view as a strong sign that he'd leave as a free agent if he isn't traded.

"He's telling everyone he's leaving," one league source said Sunday.

Magic executives are said to be unimpressed with the assets Howard's three preferred teams could provide in a trade, prompting them to engage in a calculated campaign to expand the field of potential suitors beyond the Nets, Mavericks and Lakers. But the team that can make the strongest case for Orlando to depart from its risky strategy of holding onto Howard are the Bulls, who could offer 7-footer Omer Asik, Luol Deng and Carlos Boozer for Howard and Hedo Turkoglu, sources said. The Bulls also could offer a valuable first-round pick from Charlotte -- top-14 protected in this year's draft but but unprotected by 2016.

Such a scenario has gained no traction since Chicago is "not on his list," a person familiar with the situation said of Howard. Without assurances from Howard or his camp that he'd be willing to sign long-term with the Bulls, Chicago executives have exhibited no appetite for trade talks with the Magic. The two teams have spoken, but there's "no type of serious discussions" going on, a person familiar with the situation said.

The Bulls (34-9) also have the best record in the league and are "built for long-term success," said one person familiar with their strategy, making a trade for Howard a non-starter without his blessing. Bulls officials do, according to sources, privately have concerns about whether they have enough to get past Miami in a playoff series, but are content to take a shot at it with the group they have.

Efforts by Orlando to entice other teams that are willing to trade for Howard without a long-term commitment have been seriously hampered by the realization that such a team would only have Howard for about 25 games after Thursday's trade deadline -- not enough time to win him over to a city and team not currently on his list.

Magic CEO Alex Martins, who is spearheading the biggest personnel decision for Orlando since Shaquille O'Neal left as a free agent in 1996, told the Orlando Sentinel Sunday that the team has yet to make a decision on whether to trade him or not by Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline.

"We're not at the point where we're ready to answer that question yet," Martins said. "Sometime in the next four days we will be, but we're not at the point where we're ready to answer that question yet."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...him-to-chicago
                sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

• Celtics' Rajon Rondo is subject of trade talks

The Lakers and Boston Celtics hate each other, an animosity that extends into the front offices of the two teams. ...

Not really.

The teams talked last week about a trade for Celtics guard Rajon Rondo, though nothing was close to accomplished and discussions dried up.

The Lakers are unwilling to trade Pau Gasol for Rondo, making a deal with Boston unlikely before the trade deadline Thursday.

"Unless they give up Gasol, they're not going to get a top-level point guard," said a person familiar with the situation but not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Rondo had 24 points and 10 assists in the Lakers' 97-94 victory Sunday over Boston at Staples Center. Gasol had 13 points and 13 rebounds.

A more likely acquisition would be Minnesota Timberwolves forward Michael Beasley, though the Lakers weren't willing to give up the first-round draft pick they received from Dallas in the Lamar Odom trade, among other unspecified conditions currently holding up a Beasley deal.

Beasley, 23, is expendable because the Timberwolves are giving more time to rookie Derrick Williams.

The second pick in the 2008 draft, Beasley is earning $6.3 million in the last year of his contract. He is averaging 11.6 points and 4.7 rebounds but is prone to outbursts on offense, recently scoring 27 against the Clippers.

Kobe Bryant reiterated his belief that the trade deadline couldn't pass quickly enough for the Lakers.

"I think it will have a great effect," he said. "Guys can just go out and play instead of waking up and checking their phones all the time to make sure they didn't miss a call from their agent."

Kobe unplugged

Bryant and Celtics forward Kevin Garnett spoke briefly after the game Sunday.

"There's always going to be a special bond between us just because we were the first to make the jump from high school," Bryant said.

Interestingly, Bryant added, "Truth be told, if you look at all the players that came out of high school, they've probably done better over the years than guys who have gone to college. Facts are facts."

Sorry, Mike

Lakers Coach Mike Brown has an unlikely ally — his Celtics counterpart.

Boston Coach Doc Rivers almost felt bad while talking about the tough hand Brown was handed before this season. He didn't specifically mention the nixed Chris Paul trade and the ensuing Odom deal, but it was implied.

"It made Mike's job almost impossible early on," Rivers said. "Walking in to coach a team, you've had your preseason talks with them and have them all bought in. Then a trade happens where three or four of them are involved with it and one of them gets rejected. It's tough to trust after [that]. I wouldn't want to be in that situation."

Rivers is optimistic the Celtics will be better in the playoffs. "I guarantee the Lakers feel the same way," he said. "We know there are favorites in the East and we know there are favorites in the West. We haven't deserved to be one. Neither have they yet. But it's 0-0 when the playoffs start. If both teams are healthy, you just never know."

Robinson felt ill

Frank Robinson, a baseball Hall of Famer, left the Lakers-Celtics game after experiencing dizziness.

Robinson, 76, received unspecified medical attention at the arena but did not go to a hospital and was resting comfortably in his Los Angeles-area home after leaving the game, according to a Staples Center spokesman.

Robinson played most of his career with Cincinnati and Baltimore. He also played for the Dodgers (1972) and Angels (1973-74).

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...=Google+Reader
                  sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

• Clippers still looking for the right move

While the Clippers have inquired about the availability of several "available" shooting guards after the season-ending injury to Chauncey Billups, they are reluctant to pay too steep a price unless they can find a deal that moves them closer to contending for a title this year and in the future, general manager Neil Olshey told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

"We're willing to do anything we can to move needle this year," Olshey said. "But unless it's piece for the future that also gives us to win a championship this year, we're not going to give up our longterm flexibility and assets to do that."

The price for the top shooting guards being mentioned in trade talks this spring -- Boston's Ray Allen, Portland's Jamal Crawford and Washington's Nick Young -- has so far been too high for the Clippers.

Most teams have asked for some combination of young point guard Eric Bledsoe, a future first-round pick and the expiring contracts of Randy Foye or Brian Cook.

That's a steep price to pay for players the team could simply pursue as free agents this summer. Only Crawford could potentially be under contract next year, but he'd have to amend his contract and terminate his player option for 2012-13 similar to the way Williams did when he was acquired in a trade with Cleveland last February.

The Clippers don't have a first-round pick in this years' draft, having swapped it with Oklahoma City in 2010 for the right to select Bledsoe. The Thunder subsequently included that pick in a trade with Boston which netted them center Kendrick Perkins.

Although Bledsoe has seen limited action this year due to injury (knee) and playing behind Chris Paul, Billups and Mo Williams, his value around the league is high with so many teams looking for young point guards and the dearth of them in the upcoming draft.

It's for that reason the Clippers fought so hard to exclude Bledsoe from the trade with the New Orleans Hornets that brought Paul to Los Angeles back in December. He's also an important insurance policy for the Clippers should Williams opt-out of the final year of his contract this summer.

While the team would be open to bringing Billups (Achilles) back in some capacity next season, he's got such a long recovery ahead of him it's impossible to count on that option right now.

The Clippers are counting on Billups to rejoin them at some point though. As soon as he's past the initial stage of his recovery, he's expected to rejoin them on the bench and in the locker room to add the leadership and gravitas he immediately brought to the team after being waived by the Knicks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/...the-right-move

Comment

• NBA deadline approaches, time for change
                      Here are trades contenders should make before deadline.

Not even a mutiny against Mike Brown can save the Lakers.

Honestly. Kobe Bryant and the gang can gripe about their new coach's philosophy all they want, but the bottom line is the Lakers need a point guard. Maybe not more than they need Pau Gasol or Andrew Bynum, but without someone skilled in the area of distribution and floor leadership, the Lakers have no chance to win another championship.

The question is, can they get that type of point guard before the March 15 trading deadline without giving up Gasol or Bynum?

The short answer is yes.

The Lakers don't need Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook or Rajon Rondo. They just need someone to keep things moving, get the ball to Bryant, Gasol and Bynum and at least be a little bit of threat to take over himself. The last part is something neither Derek Fisher nor Steve Blake provides.

Of course, the Lakers aren't the only team thinking a run at a title is within reach with the right move.

The Celtics think they can be right there, too. Same goes for the Clippers.

And let's not forget the Magic, who seem to think surrounding Dwight Howard with a few new parts iis a better idea than shipping him off to a faraway place. And hey, you can't really blame them, can you?

Most of the wannabe title contenders are correct. The right deal could indeed catapult them back into the championship chase, making them relevant again in what appears to be a four- or five-team race headed by the Bulls, Heat and Thunder. You have to figure the defending champion Mavericks and last-chance Spurs may be in there, too.

But the Lakers, Celtics, Clippers and Magic? Well, as currently constructed, they are little more than playoff sleepers.

That can change quickly. But it means taking a risk, unloading a player or two whom you really like, and praying the guys you get back mesh well with the leftovers.

And now, any team hoping to make a championship run has less than a week to make the necessary repairs.

Here's a quick rundown on the teams that fit that description most:

Lakers

Most Pressing Need: Point guard.

Possible Targets: Ramon Sessions (Cavaliers); Kyle Lowry (Rockets); C.J. Watson (Bulls).

Summary: Sessions likely will cost them one of their two first-rounders in the upcoming draft. Lowry likely would cost them Gasol. Watson could be had cheaper, but would he really be much of an upgrade?

What They Should Do: Odds are against the Lakers finding a player of Sessions' caliber with either of their draft picks. Even they do, next season will be too late. So give up a pick and go get him.

Clippers

Most Pressing Need: Shooting guard.

Possible Targets: Jamal Crawford (Trail Blazers); Ray Allen (Celtics); Kirk Hinrich (Hawks).

Summary: It likely wouldn't take much to land Crawford or Hinrich. Probably just underused youngster Eric Bledsoe and someone else minor. Allen, however, would come at a much steeper price. But with Chauncey Billups out for the year, it may be a price worth considering.

What They Should Do: Stay the course and go after a Hinrich-type. Nobody expected them to win it all this year. So there's no need to give up too much for someone like Allen, then have it not pay off and hinder your future.

Celtics

Most Pressing Need: Center, bench help.

Possible Targets: Michael Beasley (Timberwolves); Chris Kaman (Hornets); J.J. Hickson (Kings).

Summary: The rumored Jermaine O'Neal-for-Beasley swap died once it was determined O'Neal's wrist injury might mean the end of his season. It might not, but he's no longer considered a worthy trading chip. Kaman would be another difficult acquisition, as the C's likely would need to surrender too much. That may leave Hickson as a viable, if not previously considered, option.

What They Should Do: Call the Kings. If Hickson is really available, and can really be had for next to nothing, then why not? Maybe some time getting yelled at by Kevin Garnett (which we all know would happen) would rejuvenate Hickson's career.

Magic

Most Pressing Need: Keeping Howard happy.

Possible Targets: Monta Ellis (Warriors); Steve Nash (Suns); Beasley.

Summary: You've certainly heard the rumors that the Suns are unwilling to part with Nash and the Warriors are clinging to Ellis even tighter. In other words, the Magic likely would have to give up too much to obtain either player. But at this point, it might not be a bad idea to seek a little advice from Howard himself.

What They Should Do: Ask Howard what it will take to get him to stay, see if it's feasible, then give it a shot. If not, trade him to the highest bidder by March 15. Good
                      luck.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/03/08/1...34&feedID=8888

Comment

• Trade talk: Team by team

by Chris Sheridan

ATLANTA HAWKS — Beat writer Michael Cunningham of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said Josh Smith has informed the team he wants to be dealt, and Golden State is among the teams that has inquired. Sekou Smith of NBA.com says Smith’s trade request was initially made last February. Smith and Al Horford for Dwight Howard? A deal that would return D-12 to his hometown? Ken Berger of CBSSports.com says it is a possibility.

BOSTON CELTICS — General manager Danny Ainge asked the Indiana Pacers for Tyler Hansbrough and a first-round draft pick for Ray Allen, Pacers GM Larry Bird told Jackie McMullan of ESPNBoston.com. Breaking up the Big Three remains a possibility, but the player who would bring the most in return is Rajon Rondo, who says the team is old enough to know how to tune out the rumors. A.Sherrod Blakley of CSNNE.com quotes Danny Ainge: ”Rondo’s not being traded.”

CHARLOTTE BOBCATS — Tyrus Thomas went from not playing against Utah on Wednesday to starting vs. the Nets on Friday. A showcase of the player that Michael Jordan acquired from the Bulls, surrendering a future No. 1 pick that becomes unprotected in 2016? Boris Diaw’s consecutive games streak ended at 384 games Tuesday, and his agent has already raised the possibility of a buyout, which would need to happen before March 23 in order for Diaw to sign with a playoff team.
                        CHICAGO BULLS — As first reported on this site, there is interest in trying to obtain Pau Gasol from the Lakers in return for Carlos Boozer and at least one other player. But the most recent rumors list the Rockets as the leading candidate to acquire Gasol, who was headed to Houston as part of the original Chris Paul trade that commissioner David Stern vetoed squashed. As for Dwight Howard, the big fella said “it’s pretty cold here.”

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS — Antawn Jamison has a big, fat expiring contract and would make a nice addition to a contending team. Well, that’s what was said two years ago when the Cavs got him from the Wizards. Nowadays, Byron Scott is using Jamison at center as the Cavs try to stay in the playoff race. And GM Chris Grant wants a No. 1 draft pick in return for Ramon Sessions, an asking price the Lakers reportedly deemed too high.

DALLAS MAVERICKS — If the master plan is to clear enough cap space to make a run at free agents Dwight Howard and Deron Williams, the Mavs need to find a taker for Shawn Marion and the two remaining years on his contract. As repeatedly suggested in our Sunday Power Rankings, a straight-up deal with the 76ers for Andres Nocioni (a favorite of Rick Carlisle) makes sense for both teams. Jason Terry said if he was running the floundering team, he would make a deal.

DENVER NUGGETS — They are in a standoff right now with Wilson Chandler, who is a restricted free agent but can only sign with the Nuggets under a new provision of the collective bargaining agreement. He wants to sign for the rest of the season, then become unrestricted. The Nuggets want him to sign long-term. Aaron Lopez of Nuggets.com quotes owner Josh Kroenke: “We are still in active talks.” On trades, Kroenke said: “We’re in a position this year where we don’t have to do anything.”

DETROIT PISTONS — Not a lot has been out there publicly about what Joe Dumars plans to do with his strange collection of an underperforming mix of young and old. Charlie Villanueva was active Friday night but did not play. Ben Gordon shot 1-for-7. Both players have contracts with huge player options for 2013-14, when the punitive luxury tax kicks in. Mike Payne of DetroitBadBoys believes Rodney Stuckey and Detroit’s No. 1 pick could get them Josh Smith.

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS — If their notion of getting Dwight Howard as a rental runs into the logic wall, they have interest in a different big guy with a fractured ankle. Sam Amick of SI.com says Golden State is one of the teams to have expressed interest in acquiring Milwaukee Bucks center Andrew Bogut, a former overall No. 1 pick who has averaged only 66 games in his six seasons because of injuries. Local writers threw cold water on ESPN report sending Monta Ellis to Orlando — unless Howard is coming back.

HOUSTON ROCKETS — Still seeking Pau Gasol, and Sam Amick of SI.com says Kevin Martin and forward Luis Scola remain in the mix for possible deals for Howard or Gasol. Beat writer Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle expects them to be active and says they have cooled of late on Chris Kaman but have warmed up to the idea of Gerald Wallace.

INDIANA PACERS — They are the only team in the league that have the cap space to absorb Chris Kaman’s contract without surrendering anything in return, other than a draft pick. Right now, they project to pick in the low-to-mid 20s in what should be a deep draft — but not that deep. Internally, the big debate is whether to promote George Hill over Darren Collison.

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS– The Clippers, who seem to add a player every two weeks or so, are eyeballing Blazers guard Jamal Crawford. Ken Berger of CBSSports.com tweeted that the Clippers would like to surrender Eric Bledsoe and Ryan Gomes for Crawford, who has a player option for next season. Ben Golliver of BlazersEdge says Portland doesn’t want Gomes’ contract.

LOS ANGELES LAKERS — The waiting continues for Pau Gasol, who told Spanish media outlets that any trade is in the hands of ownership (not management). Houston still covets him, as does Chicago — and David Aldridge of NBA.com says the Wizards have an outside shot. Lakers also still have $8.9 million trade exception from Lamar Odom deal. Would have to take on luxury tax, but ownership can afford it and needs to send positive message to Coach Kobe.

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES– For the second straight year, guard O.J. Mayo’s name has popped up at the trading deadline. However, Hoopsworld cited a league source who said Memphis is no longer interested in moving Mayo and any trades it is discussing do not involve primary players – which may mean they are looking to move the underutilized Sam Young. Remember, this team already has made two trades since its roster supposedly was set, acquiring Mareesse Speights and Quincy Pondexter and moving Greivis Vasquez and Xavier Henry.

MIAMI HEAT — Dwight Howard would be interested in playing here, according to a tweet from veteran NBA scribe Chris Mannix of SI.com. As enticing as it sounds (it would have to be for Chris Bosh and more), a move to Miami does not jibe with the perception that Howard wants to be the top banana wherever he lands, because he’d be a distant third here behind LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

MILWAUKEE BUCKS – Brandon Jennings has been made available, according to Sam Amick of SI.com. While it is no secret that the Bucks are eager to shed Stephen Jackson, who has one year remaining ($10.1M), and Drew Gooden, who has three years remaining ($20.1M), it is not all that surprising to hear that Jennings might be made available — especially given the doubts over whether he’ll want to remain in Milwaukee long-term after he said he was “doing my homework on big-market teams.” But Mark Spears of Yahoo tweeted that Jennings is staying put.

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES –Any plans they had to trade Luke Ridnour went out the window when Ricky Rubio went down for the season, and the player most likely to be dealt elsewhere is Michael Beasley. The Wolves are sitting on a stockpile of future second-round draft picks that could be added into a deal to exchange Beasley for a better player.

NEW JERSEY NETS –The very reliable Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer has reported that the Nets have interest in acquiring Boris Diaw and his expiring contract, and would throw in Houston’s No. 1 pick. The deal would likely involve Jordan Farmar, who has a player option for $4.5 million next season that eats into the Nets’ cap room, and possibly Shawne Williams, who has a $3.1 million player option. Nets would prefer to push Johan Petro, but even MJ wouldn’t do that. Right? Also, Kris Humphries would reportedly waive no-trade clause for right deal.

NEW ORLEANS HORNETS– According to Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld and Jerrod Rudolph of RealGM, the Hornets are discussing a three-team trade that would presumably include Chris Kaman and would have the end effect of bringing Monta Ellis to Orlando — presumably to entice Dwight Howard to remain long term. The reported deal would send Ellis, Andris Biedrins and Dorell Wright out of Golden State while Ryan Anderson, J.J. Redick, Hedo Turkoglu and Quentin Richardson would be leaving Orlando.

NEW YORK KNICKS — Toney Douglas is the odd man out since Linsanity began and who could be a steal for a team looking for a defensively capable combo guard. If Douglas moves to a place where defense is valued over offense, it would play to his strengths. On-the-ball defenders are tough to find. That’s why Lindsey Hunter stuck around the NBA for so long. Knicks would want a backup big or a draft pick (a low No. 1 or high No. 2) in return.

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER– The Thunder have the best record in the Western Conference but are not averse to changing their roster. But it would have to be a steal, according to Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman. Mayberry’s story goes on to nitpick about some of OKC’s shortcomings, which is like complaining about Cindy Crawford’s mole.

ORLANDO MAGIC– The two latest quotes from Dwight Howard. Make of them what you will: “”We want to be hitting our peak at the right time. It’s great to beat these teams now, but we want to beat them when it counts.” And … ”We want to make sure heading into the playoffs we’re playing our best basketball.” By all accounts this one will be the call of owner Rich DeVos, who wants to win a title now.

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS– President Rod Thorn told the Philadelphia Daily News that the Sixers are listening, but the belief is that they will not do anything. Given Spencer Hawes’ balky Achilles, you would think they would be looking to add a big man who can tie his shoes and chew gum at the same time. However, Philly radio pot-stirrer Howard Eskin tweeted that the Sixers are looking for a wing player. (Hat tip to Liberty Ballers)

PHOENIX SUNS– There has been some talk about Steve Nash, but the belief is he’s not going anywhere. The Suns will have cap room this summer and still hold the rights to guard Aaron Brooks, who is playing in China. However, his team is still alive in the Chinese Basketball Association, which would leave him about a month of the NBA campaign – and the playoffs, if Phoenix makes it.

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS — Jamal Crawford is right there with Chris Kaman on the Most Likely to be Traded list, and the Clippers and Blazers are discussing a deal that would send Jamal Crawford to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe and Ryan Gomes, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com, who notes that rival executives believe the Blazers are interested in exploring a swap of Raymond Felton to the Lakers for Steve Blake, with L.A. sending another piece. Gerald Wallace is another popular name in many, many speculative reports, and a D.J. Augustin for Crawford swap is a possibility, according to the Charlotte Observer.

SACRAMENTO KINGS — In another rather sudden piece of news in his most recent column, Amick (who resides in Sacto) said the Kings are willing to field offers for former Rookie of the Year Tyreke Evans, who has been moved to small forward with Keith Smart’s choice to use rookie Isaiah Thomas more at the point. Amick also notes that the franchise is committed to rebuilding around DeMarcus Cousins (Excuse the shaky foundation joke).

SAN ANTONIO SPURS — If the Spurs wanted to go after Dwight Howard, they could package Richard Jefferson, DeJuan Blair and the rights to a bunch of these Eurostash players and use him as a rental. Think about it, and is that such a crazy idea when we start talking about Howard rentals? San Antonio would win the championship with him, IMHO. The Spurs could field a team of the overseas players they hold rights to that would defeat the Bobcats.

TORONTO RAPTORS– Toronto Star beat writer Doug Smith on Bryan Colangelo: “The art of the deal is something he’s quite fond of and I know he’ll at least be exploring stuff to get involved with. He can’t help himself, we always joke, and it’s a bit true. However, even with Jose (Calderon) out and the struggles that will mean and with a team absorbing losses at a rapid rate, Bryan needs to spend this week taking a series of deep breaths and wondering what next season might look like with Valanciunas, a free agent or two, the core guys he’s got now and another high draft pick.

UTAH JAZZ– Jazz GM Kevin O’Connor had no comment when asked if guard Raja Bell requested a trade, according to the Deseret News. Bell was sent home after an argument with coach Tyrone Corbin following Friday night’s loss in Philadelphia and did not participate in Monday’s shootaround, instead meeting with Corbin and O’Connor. He started Monday night. Utah also has a $10.9 million trade exception from the Mehmet Okur deal.

WASHINGTON WIZARDS — From beat writer Michael Lee of the Washington Post: Multiple sources around the league contend that Wall is the Wizards’ only untouchable in trade discussions. Ken Berger of CBSSports.com says the Wizards are in the mix on Andrew Bogut.
                        "Moja generacija je zivela na ulici. Mi smo imali tu srecu da smo imali pripadnost kraju,
                        odnosno cosku. Tu smo se obrazovali, tu smo postali ljudi, tu smo postali lopovi,
                        fudbaleri... A ulica je kao sto znate jedan veliki univerzitet."

Comment

• For the Lakers, the smart trade might not always be the best trade

Minds could change, and Houston Rockets point man Kyle Lowry might become a Los Angeles Laker, if the two teams decide to sign off on revisiting last December's deal that could put Pau Gasol in a Houston Rocket uniform. The transaction would presumably also send big forward Luis Scola to Los Angeles. Boston Celtics All-Star Rajon Rondo could become a Los Angeles Laker, if the team decides to part with Gasol, as well. Both options would presumably work wonders for Los Angeles, gifting them a needed creator at a position that isn't ably being filled by Derek Fisher and Steve Blake at the moment. And though Gasol's all-around work would be missed, adding a player like Scola would ease in the transition.

Despite the nouveau Laker front office's desire to depart with Gasol, though, it wouldn't appear to make much of a difference. Because in spite of the team's newfound willingness to put the ball in Andrew Bynum's hands down the stretch of close games, this offense wouldn't appear to take to on-paper improvements. The ball is still going to be going to Kobe Bryant for long stretches, and the team would still need a lights-out shooter more than anything at the point guard position.

It's a lovely luxury to have, if Los Angeles would just own up and realize it.

Taking down a brittle Boston Celtics team at home, even coming off the end of a tough road trip (that first game back is always the toughest) shouldn't be thought of as a major step forward for these Lakers. But it could be a start, especially with the Los Angeles Clippers fading in the Pacific standings. The team has just three days left to avoid making a deal; even if (on paper) adding a borderline All-Star (this year, at least) in Lowry and an 85 percent approximation of Gasol in Scola would help the team immeasurably.

That's on paper. Scola would still be asked to do the things that Gasol is often forced into, like shooting pick and pop jumpers as if he was Carlos Boozer or Kevin Garnett. Gasol (and Scola) don't have that sort of perimeter talent, despite the occasional outside flush. These are players that need the ball, and in a Kobe-centric offense, they're not going to get the ball.

The same goes for Lowry, and especially Rondo. Adding a penetrator and creator at that position would seem to be the right tonic when you add up the Efficiency Ratings and look at things from an "anything's better than Fisher"-angle, but in practice I'm having a hard time seeing this work. Let's say Lakers coach Mike Brown hands the keys to Lowry or Rondo, let's them dribble into the paint endlessly and find whoever's open. This makes Kobe Bryant (shooting 28 percent on 3-pointers this year) your spot-up shooter? You're asking the bigs to finish with baseline jumpers?

These are players that need to dominate the ball, and that's not a knock on Lowry or Rondo. This is just how they function, and how (not why) they put up those fantastic numbers. Adding that to the Lakers takes away Kobe Bryant's ability to dominate the ball, or the chance of dumping the ball into Gasol down low, just to see what he can create.

Worse, it means giving up on something that could lead the Lakers to another title. Despite the presence of Fisher and Blake. Despite Mike Brown's up and down coaching.

Kobe Bryant just isn't going to work with another creator. That's not some side-stepped way of telling you that Kobe is selfish, rather, that's just a function of his position. Kobe ain't Ray Allen or Kevin Martin, ready to roll off a dozen screens and go up for the jumper. He's an all-around destroyer of worlds, and you don't take away that ability just because you're able to trade for someone that contributes more than Fisher and Blake, or because you think dumping that big, softy, mopey (7-footer with incredible skill, and low-post anchor on two championship teams) in Gasol is worth it just to do something at the trade deadline.

Los Angeles shouldn't pull the trigger because they can. This is a team that needs to look in house and realize what it has. A top-heavy unit, sure, but one that can succeed in a Western Conference that is looking more and more takeable by the day.

This isn't to pump up Fisher and Blake. The team is getting just 11 points, seven assists and 37 percent shooting in 50 damn minutes of per-game play from these two, to say nothing of the dodgy defense. We're not here to tell you about some intangible factor that these two exude, enough to keep you from dealing for a player like Lowry or Rondo.

And this isn't to tell you that everything is going swell in El Lay. This is a team that has won 25 games through what is usually half of an NBA season. You do the math. The Lakers don't do 50 wins. They do 60.

At least they should. And if the ball is moving from the inside-out, with Bynum, Bryant and Pau Gasol taking on equal offensive shares, then this will be a borderline unguardable team. This core is championship-worthy. It's only up to the core, and the executives that can break it up, to realize that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...5zjXsBUhm8vLYF

Comment

• Sources: Bulls vying for Pau Gasol

The Chicago Bulls are exploring avenues to acquire Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol before Thursday's trade deadline, according to sources close to the situation.

The Bulls have long hoped to wedge themselves into the trade running for Orlando Magic star Dwight Howard, but sources told ESPN.com that Howard's well-chronicled lack of interest in a trade to Chicago has prompted the Bulls to switch their focus to Gasol in advance of Thursday's 3 p.m. deadline.

Sources say that the Lakers, however, have limited interest in the players Chicago would be offering, starting with Bulls forward Carlos Boozer.

So the Bulls would have to recruit at least one more team to the discussions to have any shot at Gasol, sources said, with the Lakers known to be insistent on getting back at least one certifiable star if they consent to the trade the Spaniard. Sources say that the Lakers, furthermore, continue to talk to other teams about Gasol in advance.

The Lakers' longstanding preference, of course, is acquiring a top point guard if they agree to surrender Gasol. L.A. included the 7-footer in the December deal with New Orleans and Houston that would have landed Chris Paul with the Lakers, only for NBA commissioner David Stern -- acting as the final decision-maker for the league-owned Hornets -- to tell New Orleans' basketball people to cancel the deal after all three teams agreed to terms.

Gasol has been subjected to constant trade speculation ever since and recently acknowledged to ESPN.com that "there's no guarantees" he'll be with the Lakers beyond the trading deadline despite recent assurances from Lakers management that no deal was imminent.

The Rockets continue to have interest in Gasol but have consistently refused to make point guard Kyle Lowry available in talks with the Lakers. Golden State and Minnesota are also known to have interest in trading Gasol if the Lakers prove willing.

Before the All-Star Game, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant registered a public plea to team officials for clarification on Gasol's tenuous future, saying that "it's hard for [Gasol] to kind of invest himself completely ... when he's hearing trade talk every other day." Gasol has since acknowledged that he's well aware he'll be subjected to speculation, even if he survives in L.A. through this deadline, after his near-trade to Houston before the season started.

Asked how much he's looking forward to getting past Thursday, Gasol recently told ESPN.com: "When that day comes along and nothing happens, I know for sure I'll have the security that I will be here at least for this season. After that? Who knows? Obviously it'll be an important day in order just to put everything behind me for another month or two or three."

ESPN.com reported last month that the Bulls are shocked and frustrated that Howard has not included them on his publicly known list of teams to which he'd welcome a trade, which is headlined by the New Jersey Nets and Dallas Mavericks and originally included the Lakers as well. The Bulls naturally relish the idea of pairing Howard with star guard Derrick Rose, but it's believed that Howard's primary reservation about a trade to Chicago is that the Bulls are clearly Chicago native Rose's team. Going to the Brooklyn-bound Nets, by contrast, would not only put Howard in a major market but also give him a larger share of the spotlight alongside Nets guard Deron Williams.

Howard's interest the Lakers has waned for similar reasons, with sources close to the 26-year-old saying that he has grown increasingly sensitive to suggestions that he is following Shaquille O'Neal's career path too closely and has thus prefers to wind up with either New Jersey or Dallas.

The Bulls' primary need remains backcourt scoring thanks to a succession of injuries suffered by newcomer Rip Hamilton, but team officials have quietly maintained an interest in acquiring an elite big man such as Howard or Gasol to try to ease the nightly load Rose carries. Rose became the youngest MVP in NBA history last season but couldn't overcome the suffocating attention he received from the Miami Heat in last spring's Eastern Conference finals, raising concerns that Chicago -- despite its league-leading 35-9 record -- will face the same issues this postseason.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...rs-sources-say
                            sigpic

Comment

• Warriors to send Monta Ellis to Bucks in trade for Andrew Bogut

The Golden State Warriors have agreed in principle to trade guard Monta Ellis and two players to the Milwaukee Bucks for center Andrew Bogut and Stephen Jackson, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Warriors will send forward Ekpe Udoh and injured center Kwame Brown to the Bucks as part of a package for Bogut, one of the NBA’s most talented – but also often-injured – centers. The deal will be officially completed later on Tuesday night, one executive involved in the trade said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...t_trade_031312
                              sigpic

Comment

• Anthony at odds with D’Antoni, plots exit from Knicks: source

Carmelo Anthony’s discontent with the Knicks organization became so severe after Monday night’s loss to the Bulls, he told a confidant he preferred to be traded before Thursday’s NBA deadline, The Post has learned.

According to a person familiar with his thinking, Anthony’s disillusionment stems most from a belief coach Mike D’Antoni and interim GM Glen Grunwald do not trust him. He is surprised that after all the Knicks gave up to trade for him, he has not been asked for more input on personnel decisions, as Deron Williams has with the Nets.

“The organization makes believe his opinions don’t matter,’’ the source said.

However, Tuesday night, a source said Anthony and D’Antoni spoke in an attempt to reconcile their differences and made headway. On Monday night, Anthony only wanted to remain a Knick if he had assurances D’Antoni wouldn’t be back next season.

However, Anthony will not make a formal trade request.

As The Post reported Tuesday, Anthony was told after the Knicks were swept out of the playoffs by the Celtics last April that D’Antoni would not return for this season.

But now Anthony does not believe a decision on D’Antoni’s future is coming soon because D’Antoni and Grunwald, according to the source, are “like a couple.’’

Anthony was unavailable for comment Tuesday as the Knicks did not practice. It is against NBA rules to publicly state a desire to be traded.

According to the source, Grunwald has had just one conversation with Anthony since he became GM. And D’Antoni rarely talks to Anthony after games, especially since Anthony’s return from a groin injury. The Knicks have lost 8 of 10 games since then to fall to 18-24 and out of playoff position.

Anthony is not close to owner James Dolan the way Amar’e Stoudemire is. The source said Anthony gets along best with assistant GM Allan Houston, who eventually could succeed Grunwald.

“He knows Glen doesn’t like him,’’ the source said.

It would seem unlikely — and ill-advised — for the Knicks to pull off a trade for Anthony on such short notice before Thursday’s deadline.

Though Stoudemire lobbied for the Knicks to trade for Anthony, the pair’s friendship has not flourished.

“They’re not as close as people think they are,’’ the source said. “It’s an awkward relationship.’’

Anthony is not jealous of Jeremy Lin’s global fame, according to the source. Lin, the source said, is Anthony’s favorite teammate, and Anthony feels they could be like the Thunder duo of Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

According to the source, when Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri tried to convince Anthony to stay in Denver last season, he repeatedly told Anthony he never would be able to handle the New York media. But Anthony believes the media has been the least of his problems and wished there was more feedback from his superiors.

Anthony has endured a poor season, shooting just 40 percent from the field while averaging 21.3 points and has not played well recently on defense.

D’Antoni rarely speaks in the same reverential tones about Anthony as he does about Lin, Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler.

When D’Antoni was asked after Monday’s loss to the Bulls if Anthony looked frustrated, D’Antoni replied, “More than normal, you mean? I don’t know. You’ll have to ask him.’’

Anthony appeared agitated on the court during the game and failed to join the huddle after the third quarter, though he said that is not uncommon. Though Anthony has expressed concern about his role in the offense, many play sets contain Anthony post-ups.

Anthony seemed extremely unhappy after the Knicks’ losing streak reached six games in Chicago.

“It [stinks],’’ Anthony said. “The situation we’re in right now [stinks]. Losing basketball games the way we’ve been losing games at the end of the game [stinks]. It’s not a good feeling right now.’’

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...content=Knicks
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X