This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antawn Jamison: A Resume, a Rocking Chair and a Championship Dream

It wasn’t supposed to go down like this. On a bitter February afternoon, Washington Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld summoned Antawn Jamison into his office. The meeting would serve to disseminate the team’s decision to trade their veteran leader to a championship contender. It was a move rooted not in desire, but in respect and opportunity. The Wizards, confronted with the unfortunate truth that the end of an era was indeed near, and endeavoring to improve their long-term financial flexibility, felt that they had owed it to Jamison. To provide him with the prospect of making it past the second round of the NBA playoffs, a mountain which the two-time All-Star had not the fortuitous chance to climb, was something that the Washington front office felt it had to do, even if it meant improving the very team that uprooted their own championship dreams over the course of three consecutive seasons.

He thought his prayers had been answered. Going about life in a manner which many today would classify as “the right way,” Jamison, a man of devout faith, took care of his body, stayed out of trouble, and did everything that was asked of him at every rung of his basketball career’s ladder. While the paychecks rolled in and the accolades piled up, the ultimate reward never came knocking. Countless years watching the Super Bowl in February and then the NBA Finals just four months later, Jamison wondered what it would be like to feel the emotions displayed by the victors. The jubilation. The never-ending smiles. The reality-slowing moment where the last men standing appear as if they were transported back in time, collectively embracing one another like children who just unwrapped the gift which topped their Christmas lists.

Jamison was a man who had always carried the moniker of “high character” on his resume. The player whom teams would covet, in addition to his capacity to put up 20 points on a given night, for his locker room presence and ability to provide the glue to their 14 sticks of balsa wood. While his reputation was hard-earned, the chance to place his fingerprints on the Larry O’Brien trophy would surely be one hell of a bullet point under the “Experience” section.

All of the outside distractions within the otherwise talented Wizards’ locker room, the players who simply could not put the mental portion of the game together with the physical, and the lack of focus that came along with both — the baggage, if you will — would all be left behind. A storybook ending, Cleveland would be the setting where it would all come to fruition.

“I didn’t think twice about it at all,” Jamison, in a lengthy one-on-one discussion, says of his meeting with Grunfeld. “I knew what was going on [in Cleveland] and knew some of the guys on the team. I felt like I fit in perfectly. To see that I was being traded here, I was finally getting that chance — the opportunity I had been waiting for all my life.”

——————–

Antawn Jamison just finished up a mid-week practice with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Now 35-years of age and playing in a condensed season that encompasses eighty percent of an NBA schedule in approximately two-thirds of the typical allotment of days, the veteran big man gets the occasional day off. Head coach Byron Scott trusts him. He knows that the mental preparation will still be there even if a physical practice is not endured; Scott’s old-school practices are among the most rigorous in the league. Jamison, however, still joins his teammates on the floor where he compliments his wine colored practice jersey with a pair of long cotton shorts that replicate a pair of sweat pants which have been severed just below the knees. Rather than running full-court plays or what would likely amount to his one millionth three-man weave, he shoots countless free throw attempts while listening to the session being taught behind him in the pristine, hardwood classroom of Cleveland Clinic Courts. In the back of his mind, Antawn also hears his father, A.C., who has always gently chastised him for missed attempts from the charity stripe.

“Son, they’re free,” he recollects.

Antawn Jamison came to Cleveland as a savior, the missing link. That highly coveted “stretch four” that would help provide the spacing needed to compliment two large egos and paint-dwelling, ball-requiring bodies in Shaquille O’Neal and LeBron James. He provided offensive fire power from the very position which the Cavaliers had attempted to fill time and time again, with the cloud of a departed Carlos Boozer hanging overhead, only to swing and miss with the likes of Drew Gooden and Donyell Marshall. Jamsion had one hat to wear and it fit his skill set perfectly, as if it had been pre-molded for his head. The Cavaliers, with the help of Grunfeld, had added a 20-point-per-game scorer to a 60-win team. What could go wrong?

Jamison has always prided himself as being a lead-by-example type as opposed to the chest pounding, rookie-hazing variety. He came in as a the final piece to the championship puzzle, but just before the entire picture could be completed, the card table was flipped in a destructive fashion after just 25 regular season games and an aborted playoff run that still leaves the city scratching its collective head in disbelief. Compounding the tailspin, the general manager who traded for him decided to not return. His head coach was told his services would no longer be needed. And the franchise’s best player told the city of Cleveland the same. Uncertainty reigned supreme, but what would follow did not even cross the radar of the most devout pessimists.

The results of the Cavaliers’ 19-win season will live in the NBA’s history books for quite some time having shattered the record for consecutive losses in a season, including the first winless month in franchise history, an 0-16 January. This infamous accomplishment came just one month after the team set a franchise record for fewest points scored in a contest (57 in a woebegone effort against the Los Angeles Lakers) and most points given up in a half (four days later when they allowed the Denver Nuggets do drop 80 points through the first 24 minutes).

“The season took place and coach told me he was going to bring me off of the bench [behind JJ Hickson], so it was accepting that role,” said Jamison of the season to forget. “Everything was even keel, you know your role and know what’s going on, and then this. It was bumpy, man. It was bumpy.”

Adding insult to injury, or perhaps injury to insult, Jamison’s 2010-11 season would be ended prematurely due to a broken finger which occurred during a late February game against the Philadelphia 76ers. Serving as a painful reminder of a year many would love to erase from their cerebral DVR, Jamison’s left pinky finger continues to stick out at an angle that is double-take-worthy. A scarlet letter “L,” made of flesh and bone and a dozen years of basketball.

Bumpy indeed.

The contrast of the last two calendar years could not be more stark. He was supposed to be a role player, yet exactly twenty-four months after arriving in Cleveland, Antawn Jamison finds himself wearing a completely different hat. Reflecting that of a foreman on a demolition site, Jamison, despite playing at a very high level in what would typically be the waning years of a professional athlete’s career, finds himself speaking with a voice closer to those of instruction that echo behind him on off-days than those of the men who join him in uniform on a nightly basis. Entering the NBA, fresh off of his 22nd birthday, Jamison joined the professional ranks after a lengthy financially-fueled lockout, becoming the fresh meat for cagey and vocal veterans like John Starks and Terry Cummins and Daron “Mookie” Blaylock.

Thirteen years later, Jamison finds himself in their very role, after a similarly painful lockout period, but with students who are even younger.

——————–

Media members circle him after practice as if they’re grandchildren waiting to be told campfire stories of yesteryear. Jamison was the team’s sounding board during the woeful 2010-11 season, dubbed “Automatic Antawn” not only for his willingness to discuss each additional loss as if the one before it never occurred, but discuss it at length. Even during the period where he was in a stage of self-admitted pouting due to his early-season role of a reserve giving way to the hopeful future of the team’s frontcourt in the athletic Hickson, Jamison was on point. Never one to spout athlete cliches and murmured playerspeak — talking without actually saying much at all — Jamison answered every question in depth and to the best of his ability. Well beyond merely fulfilling his professional media-based obligation, he casts aside the redundant and empty for the well-thought, straight-from-the-heart and honest.

This season, Jamison is all the wiser and the upstart Cavaliers have two new rookies to help deflect some attention of the bright lights and audio recorders. There are even occasional nights where Jamison can score 20-plus points in a win and sneak out of the locker room without any pen and paper-toting speed bumps in his path. If anything, he has to meander around the horde of reporters directly to his right as rookie power forward Tristan Thompson — a player who shares Jamison’s position on the court — has certainly attracted his share of the early-season spotlight.

Following the team’s relatively surprising victory over the Los Angeles Clippers, one which featured the last-minute scratch of star point guard Kyrie Irving, the team would be told that they had the next day off. After all, it was the second night of a back-to-back and they just handed it to a championship contending team which featured two All-Star starters. While most NBA players would take to the town in quasi-celebration, Jamison ventured home where would take to his couch to catch the remaining portion of a contest between his alma mater North Carolina Tar Heels and their intrastate rival Duke Blue Devils.

“As long as I got my TV and video games, I’m good,” said Jamison of of his postgame nights. “I’ve found ways to spend time positively instead of being out and about. I’ve been there, done that. I think the older that you get, you cherish the moments because when it’s all said and done, you don’t want to sit back and say ‘I wish I would’ve done this better and put more effort into practice,’ or ‘I wish I would’ve took this more seriously’ instead of being in the clubs night in and night out, not worrying about my craft.”

Jamison has seen a lion’s share of unfortunate circumstances, of individuals failing to live up to their potential and have their career arcs take a triple-black diamond dive all too early due to reasons often well within the player’s respective control. Just as athletes can often fall victim to poor luck, toxic environments and absentee leadership, Jamison has had the fortuitous opportunity to grow up and learn from the best while getting to play alongside of some of the game’s finest leaders.

As a child, his parents would work two, sometimes three, jobs to ensure that Antawn and his two younger siblings had the essentials. The one thing he remembers most about his upbringing was, despite all of the hours his father, who Antawn calls his hero, would put into a given occupation to provide for their family, he never once heard him complain or speak ill of any perceived misfortune.

“Never once,” said a reminiscing Jamison. “Never was he making excuses, never saying ‘Why me? Why is this so tough?’ We never had a silver spoon, but we always had things. For me to say that the biggest thing for me to worry about is four games in five nights, I’ll take that. You have somebody working on the side of the street in single-digit temperatures. At night, having to find a way to put food on the table. For me to get paid to do something that I love to do, where I’d still be doing it if I wasn’t getting paid, and for it to open up so many resources, paying for my kids’ college or traveling and seeing the world, I’m grateful. And I would never take it for granted or think that I have it worse off than anyone else in this world.”

In Golden State, it was John Starks — the scrappy guard known most for his time with the mid-90s New York Knicks — who would call Jamison on the day of a game to tell him (as opposed to asking) that the two of them would soon be taking a taxicab to the arena to get in additional work well before the team bus driver would even consider warming up their coach which was locked and barren back at the hotel. To this day, umpteen seasons later, Jamison feels that he has to get to the arena early or he will not have a good game. A ritual instilled.

During Jamison’s lone season with the Dallas Mavericks, he had the opportunity, as a sixth man, to play alongside Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash and Michael Finley. It was in Dallas where he would learn the importance of on- and off-court communication with teammates. About leadership. And, perhaps most importantly, about friendship.

During the extended offseason leading into the 2011-12 campaign, from September until the league’s monetary impasse had come to an end, Jamison put in additional work with young guards like New Jersey’s Anthony Morrow and Golden State’s Stephen Curry, as the three men spent the bulk of their time in Charlotte, North Carolina. Surely Morrow, a player known more as a one-trick pony for his lethal three-point shooting, could utilize a veteran voice. It speaks volumes, however, when a player like Curry, the child of well-documented professional basketball lineage, would desire to work with and learn from the cagey veteran from Cleveland. After all, how much can you teach the brood of a former NBA star? But it was Jamison who would talk with Curry about the extra, unnecessary dribbles. It was Jamison who would share his ability to telegraph certain moves based on Curry’s body language and ball positioning.

In Thompson, Jamison sees a little brother. He also sees a lot of himself. Though the bouncy Thompson’s game is rooted in above-the-rim play and freakish, springboard athleticism — the polar opposite of the catch-and-shoot game possessed by Antawn — the veteran sees a 20-year-old kid who is willing to listen, an immensely talented individual striving to improve as a player and as a person. While Thompson has the God-given physical talents that could keep him in the league due to his vertical leap alone, he also has the non-stop motor and willingness to do the “little things” that young players are taught early on in order for them to improve later. A sponge-like listener, Jamison feels that the Cavaliers have a player who was once thought of as a reach on draft day who could wind up being a household name by the time his career reaches its apex. Thankfully for Thompson, he also has an on-court teacher that can help this dream become a reality.

“When I first got into the league, I couldn’t shoot jump shots to save my life,” said Jamison of his post-draft day growth. “I was a straight up post guy. Tristan doesn’t question anything, he’s unbelievable. You never know what could be in store.”

——————–

This is not to say that Antawn the Educator cannot turn into Antawn the Competitor at the drop of a hat. Where Jamison continues to provide lessons on the “little things,” he has been no stranger to taking the kids to school when the Cavaliers are afforded any in-season practice time. Leading by example, but also by expense.

In late December, before the 2011-12 NBA season would officially tip off, Jamison, with Thompson playing the role of the victim, unleashed an up-and-under move that the veteran says he forgot he even had in his arsenal — the proverbial ideal of leaving behind more knowledge of a subject than another individual has even had the opportunity to learn. While the rookie would be stopped dead in his tracks, left to merely shake his head and attempt to get his during the next play, it was undoubtedly a signal that the old guy still had it. That, despite daily soreness and a pinky finger that curls out like a backwards, lower-cased “R,” Jamison was ready to take this season head on, just as he did the preceding thirteen.

“You can tell his work ethic is at an all-time high,” said Curry of his off-season player-coach. “Even with this lockout, he has a lot of great years left. The way he has responded to the extended offseason, all of his hard work that he has put in has paid off. I’m just glad I was able to be there there to watch him.”

“Antawn is a tremendous athlete and has always taken great care of himself,” said Jamison’s father A.C. “He does the right things. He’s a great person and has always taken the job very seriously.”

Jamison also credits a portion of his longevity to his unique and unorthodox game. His jump shots typically result in his right foot landing well ahead of his left. His post game is one that cannot be found anywhere else in the league thanks to his array of quick-release flip shots, sometimes having the appearance of being dispensed from his right hip. He refers to it as one of those “old man games” where you would see an individual well beyond his playing days in the park attempting to keep up with kids half his age, 40-something years old and still getting shots off despite being smaller, slower and somewhat weaker than his competition. Rooted mostly in feel and instinct, Jamison has the ability to surprise himself as well as his on-court rivals. He knows that his game relies on volume and he will be the first to acknowledge his weaknesses on the defensive end. Yet its something that NBA general managers love.

“For some reason,” says Jamison, “every GM that I have played for is like, “Man, you’re not one of those guys where you’re athletic to the point where you have to dunk everything,” or “you’re not one of those guys who has to put on pounds to stay successful. Every GM and coach that I’ve been with says ‘It’s your game.’”

But is it one that will be mimicked by the stars of tomorrow? Will there be adolescents practicing the Antwan Jamison flip shot just as they do the Steve Nash baseline runs or the Kobe Bryant buzzer-beating threes?

“Man, I hope not,” Jamison says with a laugh. “There might be one or two kids but I doubt it. I have a son now (Antwan Jamison Jr., 5) and he has the same type of walk that I got, so there’s a chance. It’s just something that came so natural and I’ve been able to craft it — 18,000 points later and I’m still doing it.”

——————–

Playing at one of the highest levels since his arrival in Cleveland back in February of 2010, Jamison has also been forced to add a third role to his byline of educator and competitor: an expiring contract. The $15 million elephant in the room. It survived the amnesty period which was provided to teams following the most recent lockout, but it’s also something that NBA franchises would love to have at their disposal given the new financial constraints placed upon them. As opposed to most cases where players on expiring large-figure deals are in the waning years of their career both mentally and physically, Jamison’s situation is a bit different as the Cavaliers are presently in a place where they could make the playoffs after only one season of dismay. The man with the expiring deal is also the team’s second-leading scorer.

Certainly, he would love the opportunity to compete for a championship, just as he thought he would be doing during his entire stay with the Wine and Gold. And just as Jamison had talks with Ernie Grunfeld two years ago this very month, he has kept in constant contact with Cavaliers general manager Chris Grant. The tone of the conversations, however, is a bit different.

“I have told Chris, ‘You know what, this is family. I like playing with these young guys, I like being the leader of this team and I like the coaching staff,’” said Jamison. “I’m not going to put the pressure on Chris to get something done.”

This family, despite being one that has been nearly completely overhauled in the last 24 months is one that continues to grow closer by the day. It was a family that could have turned incredibly toxic as the losses piled up, but the 15 men involved — many of whom are still in Cleveland today — stuck together, used it as a learning experience, and rebounded better than nearly any fan or analyst had thought possible. Not only does Jamison want to be a part of this team through the remainder of this season, he’s not counting out the possibility of being in Cleveland after his current deal comes to an end, similar to what the Cavaliers did with shooting guard Anthony Parker.

It had been speculated that this very season could be Jamison’s last after what he had endured a year ago coupled with his contract coming to an end. Jamison, however, feels that he could physically endure another five or six seasons, but the mental wear and tear may only allow for another season, maybe two. Grant could always opt to trade the veteran power forward as he has shown that he is more than capable of providing benefit to a contender, but the front office — one that has focused almost wholly on financial flexibility — would likely be forced to take unwanted contractual obligations in return. They could always opt to buy him out for a fraction of the money remaining on his deal, setting him free where he could sign, likely for the veteran minimum, with the team of his choosing. But even with his contractual freedom just months away, providing some balance to the mentality of today’s younger players, free agency isn’t something remotely on Jamison’s mind. But this Cavaliers team also isn’t the only family in Jamison’s heart.

His decision this coming summer, one which he deems as “easy,” will likely be made solely with his four children in mind. The extended offseason provided him not only with time to work with some of the game’s best young shooters, but also with the chance to see what it would be like to take his Charlotte-based children to school and be around them everyday rather than living through nightly phone calls.

“I owe it to them,” said Jamison of his two boys and two girls. “It was the first time since my second year in the league where I was able to spend Thanksgiving with my family. Christmas, I’ve been able to maneuver around, but those are the things right now that I cherish.”

Cleveland can be a fickle place to play. The fan base wants their players to have a hard-nosed, blue-collar, time-card punching mentality. They praise those who do things the right way and put in the extra time even when it may not be necessary. They demand loyalty, but can be a bit more lenient for those who perform on the field or court of play. Fortunately for them, no wiggle room is needed when it comes to Antawn Jamison as he can proudly check “all of the above” when it comes to the player he embodies. Sure, he may not have stepped right into the situation back in 2009-10 and hit the ground running with a group that had considerably less chemistry than it had let on. Like most players who rely on playing away from the basket, he can also be prone to the rough shooting stretch. But in the end, after that final air horn sounds, regardless of what the scoreboard reads, Jamison is a player who will own up to his faults, praise others and gladly hit the mental reset button prior to the next game’s tip-off.

He wanted a chance to compete for an NBA championship and, in large part to Ernie Grunfeld and Danny Ferry, it was an opportunity he was afforded. What happens from here out is all a bonus as Jamison will take it all in stride and play the cards that have been dealt his way. He’s a player who, despite being 35 years of age continues to learn every single day he takes the court. He makes the rounds every offseason, talking to students as well as basketball camp participants, hoping that his way, his path will be the one the game’s future chooses to take. Antawn Jamison gets on his knees every night to give thanks as he gets to live his dream and can only hope that others are provided even a fraction of his good fortune.

After the final whistle on Jamison’s career is blown and his size 16 Adidas high-tops are hung up for good, he endeavors to still be a part of the game in some capacity. An assistant coach, the public speaking circuit or even a cushy front office position are all possibilities. In what will ultimately be about 15 years in the league, Jamison still enjoys traveling. He longs to hear the squeak of shoes and the bounce of basketballs, he appreciates waking up sore the morning after. But he’s also seen a lot and heard even more.

“I won’t write a book, but one day I’m going to be on that porch in a rocking chair,” says Jamison as he starts to sway forward and back with a smile on his face. A career worth bragging about, a career that others could only dream to replicate, even if that championship opportunity never does rear its head once again. Thirteen seasons, some a lot longer than others.

“They’ve all been great. I have no regrets.”

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/20...onship-dreams/
    sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

• Canzano: Retired Trail Blazer Brandon Roy contemplates a new script

I took the 9-year old to her first Trail Blazers game of the season a couple of weeks ago. As we left the Rose Garden Arena, and walked across Interstate Blvd., she looked back at the towering building, and saw the giant plastered image of Brandon Roy still on the side of the parking structure.

"Why's Roy still up there?" she asked.

I never believed Roy was done. Still don't. Won't if he doesn't play for another year. Or two. He's too competitive, and driven, and loves basketball too much to be done. When he said "retirement" I imagined Roy walking with a cane and feeding pigeons. What he meant was, "I'll be back."

Maybe the Blazers never really believed he was done, either.

Even as they utilized the amnesty clause on him, even as Roy said he was retiring because he wanted to walk later in life, even as he hasn't been seen around the Blazers, he's never really felt all the way gone. And so by the time Roy told a reporter for an international basketball website: "I've been doing some treatment and I'm trying to leave the window open to returning to basketball," you figured, of course he will.

Robo-Roy.

The three-time All Star always had a soft shot, and played strong, and had outstanding body control. Nothing ever happened faster on the court than Roy wanted it to happen. I once heard former President George H.W. Bush, an outstanding horse-shoe player and skilled politician, explain that he drew his focus and energy in both disciplines from the pressure that came with competing.

Roy has that, too. And I suspect he craves it right now. Which is why I have no doubt that he's going to return to professional basketball in some form and someday stick a dagger in the Blazers franchise. And I fear this one will hurt worse than Greg Oden, because Roy also told U.S. Basket that his decision to retire wasn't solely health related.

Said Roy: "There's something to it, but it's not the right time for me to get into it right now."

I've suddenly gone from that image of Roy feeding pigeons with the retirees to something closer to Rocky Balboa training in secrecy for his heavyweight title shot in Rocky IV. Roy also alluded to an experimental medical treatment. Said Roy: "If the treatment I've been looking into can work, I believe there's a good chance you will see Brandon Roy back hoopin'."

Roy's already tried platelet-rich plasma therapy, which takes the red blood cells from your own body, has them spun in a centrifuge, and re-injected. Roy had mixed results, but seemed interested at the end of last season in trying again. Kobe Bryant had a derivative of the procedure done in Germany.

Also, there's Olympic swimmer Dara Torres, who had a left knee that was so bad she couldn't bend down or walk up stairs. Her doctor told the five-time Olympian it was the worst knee he'd ever seen. She was headed to a knee replacement, but instead opted for a cartilage regeneration procedure that rebuilt her knee from the inside out. With new cartilage and two surgeries and lots of physical therapy, Torres is hoping to swim in the London 2012 Games this summer.

You think Roy won't do whatever it takes?

This is a guy who willed his team to victories when they weren't yet ready. It's a star player who refused to believe, last playoff series, that he was done even as his own coach was telling him he was in so many ways. The Blazers franchise player with the maximum contract who arrived after the lockout to whispers that the organization planned to use amnesty on him.

Remember that meeting between Roy, Roy's agent, coach Nate McMillan and Blazers president Larry Miller that resulted in the announcement that Roy was suddenly a "starter"? Then, the following announcement from Roy that he was folding his hand? Then, the official amnesty move by the Blazers?

Some poker game, we all witnessed.

Not sure yet who won.

Roy retired. But everyone noticed when he didn't fully cooperate with the Blazers plans for a retirement ceremony, or a wish that he'd come back this season for a 'goodbye' with fans. He didn't seem interested in really saying goodbye, did he? Roy mostly said the right things and disappeared. And so today, as we hear that Roy is contemplating a possible return to basketball, and some treatment, I'm hopeful that the guy doesn't end up, say, with the Golden State Warriors and go "Rambo" on the Blazers.

Because if Roy and Oden end up like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, this won't be pretty for Portland.

Don't expect to see Roy in a uniform this season. His retirement might have been about him realizing that a 66-game schedule was going to be too much for him. It might have been a concession that he needed more time off. It might, also, have been Roy realizing that the Blazers were going to push him into amnesty anyway, and instead of allowing the Minnesota Timberwolves to claim him, he took matters into his own hands and took himself off the market.

Roy's a free agent now, if he wants to return to basketball. Just like Joel Przybilla, he can call his shot. Anyone who has ever seen Roy take over a game with a flurry of scoring late knows that look he has in his eyes. Heck, the Blazers should probably dispatch a staffer to Seattle to knock on Roy's door, and look him in the eyes. You'd know immediately if he means business. The rest of the Western Conference knows what I'm talking about.

Portland has the second half of an NBA season to prepare for. There's lots of interesting basketball left. And I'm curious to see if Raymond Felton, Gerald Wallace and Wesley Matthews can all have a more productive finish to the season. Also, what the Blazers will do with their pile of expiring contracts at the March 15 trade deadline. Keep them? Or trade them?

Lots of intrigue. But there's no better theatre than this Roy thing.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...blazer_br.html
      sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

• Trail Blazers midseason questions: Point guard and road woes top concerns

The five most pressing questions facing the Trail Blazers as they begin the second half of the season tonight against the Denver Nuggets:

Is Jamal Crawford the answer at point guard?

The Blazers' new starting point guard is a shooting guard and scorer by nature and he has been hesitant to alter his game to fill the team's biggest hole. But he had a solid opening act replacing Raymond Felton before the All-Star break, finishing with 20 points and eight assists in a lopsided win over the San Antonio Spurs. The Blazers likely would have won four of five more games in the first half with better guard play, and if Crawford can evolve into the team's floor leader, a second-half surge is possible.

Can the Blazers solve their road woes?

Losses to the Lakers and Clippers at the Staples Center are tolerable. But dropping games at Sacramento and Detroit? Not so much. The Blazers are 5-13 away from the Rose Garden and have defeated just one team with a winning record (Oklahoma City). The good news is they are 2-2 in their last four road games, defeating the Golden State Warriors and New Orleans Hornets and dropping a double-overtime heartbreaker at the Dallas Mavericks.

Will the Blazers make a deal before the trade deadline?

President Larry Miller says the Blazers will explore every avenue to improve the team and that includes making a midseason trade by the March 15 trade deadline. The Blazers have just five players locked into guaranteed contracts after this season, so a roster shake up is inevitable. Keep this in mind: The Blazers are not looking to rebuild and many trade partners will aggressively try to pry Nicolas Batum from them. That's not happening. But the franchise has added two key players at the deadline the last two seasons, acquiring Marcus Camby in 2010 and Gerald Wallace in 2011. Will it be three years in a row?

Can the Blazers discover that elusive consistency?

The lockout ended at the 11th hour and the Blazers had less than two weeks to integrate a new point guard and two new rotation players. Growing pains were expected. But after 34 up-and-down games, those excuses no longer hold up and the Blazers are overdue to find the consistency that has eluded them all season. It doesn't help that practices are virtually non-existent during this lockout-shortened season, decreasing opportunities to iron out kinks and gel. Even so, this is a veteran-laden, battle-tested roster. The time for excuses is over.

Can the oldest center combination in the NBA hold up?

The addition of veteran Joel Przybilla gives the Blazers an emotional midseason shot in the arm and -- if his twice-operated right knee can hold up -- much-needed frontline help. But the addition of a 32-year old also adds another aging player to the a frontcourt that already includes 37 year-old Marcus Camby and the oldest player in the NBA, 39 year-old Kurt Thomas. The health and durability of the threesome is paramount to the Blazers' chances of reaching the playoffs for the fourth consecutive season.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...questions.html

Comment

• Source: Lakers decline Wolves' offer

The Minnesota Timberwolves offered to trade Michael Beasley to the Los Angeles Lakers for a first-round draft pick, but the Lakers turned them down, according to a league source.

While Beasley, a talented and athletic small forward, would fill one of the Lakers' greatest needs, the Lakers rejected the offer because they do not want to add to their luxury tax bill, according to the source.

With one of the league's highest payrolls at roughly $88 million -- well above the luxury tax threshold of $70 million -- the Lakers are due to pay $18 million in taxes this season. Since there is a dollar-for-dollar penalty for tax-paying teams, taking on Beasley's $6.2 million contract would add another $6.2 million to their tax bill and cost the Lakers an extra $12.4 million.

The Lakers' decision falls in line with their decision to trade Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks for an $8.9 million trade exception in December. While Odom asked to be traded after finding out the Lakers put him in a foiled trade attempt to get Chris Paul, the Lakers' chief motivation for trading Odom was to chop their payroll and to save money.

Under the new revenue sharing plan in the recently adopted collective bargaining agreement, the Lakers will pay a bundle and because of that, owner Jerry Buss is no longer willing to spend so freely in going above the luxury tax, according to sources.

Under the Timberwolves' proposal, the Lakers would have absorbed Beasley's contract into the trade exception they received from Dallas. In return, Minnesota asked for the Lakers' best first-round pick in the upcoming draft. In addition to their own pick, the Lakers own Dallas' first-round pick, as long as it is not within the first 20 selections.

Though the Lakers have turned down Minnesota, it is possible they could change their minds before the March 15 deadline. With the Lakers sputtering on offense, Beasley would have been a welcome addition.

Beasley, the second pick in the 2008 draft, is averaging 12.8 points in less than 26 minutes a game for Minnesota. He averaged 19.2 points last season and has a career average of 15.6 points.

Minnesota is willing to unload him, however, because of immaturity issues that have dogged him throughout his career, as well as their logjam at the forward position.

The Lakers have been interested in Beasley since December. Sources say if their trade for Paul had gone through, they would have subsequently made a trade for Beasley.

Minnesota, fresh off a victory over the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday in which Beasley scored 27 points in 30 minutes, visits the Lakers tonight.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ichael-beasley
          sigpic

Comment

• Report: Celtics are shopping Rajon Rondo

The Boston Big Four could be on the brink of breaking up. (Alliteration!)

There's been a lot of talk of Danny Ainge making some sort of move with one, two or maybe even all of Boston's four core pieces before the trade deadline. The one with the most trade value would likely be 26-year-old point guard Rajon Rondo and the Celtics are shopping him around, according to ESPN Boston:

The Celtics find Rondo's personality to be too high-maintenance and his clashes with coach Doc Rivers remain an off-court distraction, sources told Broussard, and the front office is now actively pitching him to other teams. With the Celtics realizing they are no longer title contenders, they don't believe his point guard prowess is worth the headaches Rondo brings, sources say. And they do not want to build around him.

In December, the Celtics had discussions with Golden State about a Stephen Curry-for-Rondo deal, and one source says it was Golden State that decided against pulling the trigger. But Curry's recent ankle injuries, which have caused him several problems in his short career, have given the Celtics pause.

The potential trade is still being discussed by Boston's braintrust, but they aren't sure they want to go forward with it. It also isn't clear whether the Warriors would be willing to do it. Other players would have to be thrown in to make it work financially.
            There was talk earlier in the season that the Celtics were pursuing a deal for Chris Paul involving Rondo, and another deal that would send Rondo to Indiana. So there's certainly some fire to all this smoke. Ainge is absolutely making phone calls involving his young point guard.

Whether they're just trying to move on, or they want to wash their hands of the headaches Rondo brings, Boston is actively looking to deal. Doesn't mean something is imminent, but it means that March 15 could be an interesting day for the Celtics.

Ainge tried to cover himself for shopping Rondo around earlier in the year saying in January there's a difference in trying to trade a player and trying to acquire one.

"I was not trying to trade Rajon Rondo," Ainge said. "There's a big difference between trying to acquire a player and trying to trade a player."

Potato, potahto.

Rondo is averaging a career-high 14.1 points per game to go along with 9.6 assists and 1.6 steals. It's not his best season in terms of overall production, but he's still an extremely productive All-Star point guard. And someone with a lot of value. If Rondo is indeed dealt, it would signal a change of process for the Celtics. They'd likely be going from a team looking to contend now, to a team looking at transitioning into a new era.

That roster has been built largely on great talent, but also a strong bond in chemistry. The Kendrick Perkins trade tested that, and the Celtics failed. Dealing Rondo would signal that it's a full on shakeup in Beantown.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/35047088
            sigpic

Comment

• Dwight Howard Asks Magic For PG Steve Nash

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard has asked the front office to pursue 16-year veteran and Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash, according to CBS Sports.

Sources close to the situation say that Howard will not exercise his early termination option if the Magic are able to acquire Nash.

Howard made headlines prior to the season when he requested that the Magic trade him. Prior to that demand, the three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year stated that if Orlando is unable to surround him with a championship caliber team, that he would opt out of his existing contract and become a free-agent this offseason. The Magic made the decision not to move Howard in December with the hopes that they could convince him to stay.

For the Suns, Nash is averaging 13.9 points and 10.9 assists per game. The Magic’s Dwight Howard is averaging 19.9 points, 15.2 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per game.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/03/01/dw...?sct=nba_t2_a6

Comment

• Rose gives Bulls a scare

SAN ANTONIO -- Derrick Rose thought he was in trouble. He collided with Spurs' guard Tony Parker midway through the first quarter and crumpled to the ground clutching his right knee. The Bulls' championship hopes laid on the ground with him as a city held its collective breath. As he lay on the ground, Rose assumed the worst.

"For sure, when I first hit him," Rose said. "It was a lot of pain in there. But after laying down there for a little bit, I got up, I was good."

Much to the delight of Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau, who admitted that he was feeling very uneasy on the bench when he saw Rose go down.

"I didn't want to look," Thibodeau said. "Any time he goes down ... but the same thing holds true for any player. And it was a bang bang play ... but usually he bounces up pretty quick, so I was a little concerned."

Rose, who finished the game with a team-high 29 points, admitted that he was understandably a little sore after it was over.

"It's just basketball," he said. "Where you're going to bump each other. Bump knees with him. [I'm] a little sore, but was able to play through the game."

Rip returns for round two: For the second game in a row, Rip Hamilton started and played almost 16 minutes. After sitting out a month because of groin and thigh issues, Hamilton still looks rusty, but he says he's feeling much better.

"I feel good," Hamilton said. "The biggest thing with me is getting to different spots on the court. And I feel good about getting to wherever I want to get to on the floor. Now when I get there, my rhythm, my timing, I'll get better as I'll be out there, but the key thing with my leg is I'm able to get to where I want to get to out on the floor. And that's the most important thing and I'm happy with it."

Hamilton acknowledged that the transition back into the lineup is made easier due to the fact that the Bulls are so deep.

"It's great because it enables Thibs for me to play me (in different situations)," he said. "I play like the first eight of first quarter and the first eight minutes of the third. And we're able still to win. And that's huge because I ain't got to be thrown in the (dogfight). When you've got great teammates like I have and guys that are producing it's awesome for me."

Hamilton said coaches have told him that his minutes will be increased incrementally over the next few weeks.

"It's a gradual thing," he said. "That's what they want. Just don't be in such a rush. And we're winning so that's the benefit. That's the luxury that we have in this situation. Guys are really playing well and stepping up so it enables me to be able to be [in] a slow process other than a fast process."

Quotes of the night

"It was like a playoff atmosphere where there goal is the same as ours. And that's to win a championship. Do whatever it takes. And that's what I tried to do out there, do whatever it takes to win that game," - Rose, on winning in San Antonio.

"I was hearing that last year when I was in Detroit. The regular season is a great time also. It's not just the playoffs. It's a situation [in] the regular season you can get acclimated with your teammates. You want to start rolling going into the playoffs. You don't want to just turn it on when the playoffs start. You want to be moving forward and playing well going into the playoffs," - Hamilton, on the notion that he was only brought in to produce in the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bull...s-a-scare#more

Comment

• Davis could take Lin's starting spot for Knicks

Can there be a Knicks point-guard controversy come April if backup Baron Davis continues to rise and Jeremy Lin’s game flattens out? It is no longer a Linsane thought.

Mike D’Antoni has always left open that possibility, and after the second unit’s superior play in the Knicks’ second-half bludgeoning of the Cavaliers in Wednesday's 120-103 win, their starting lineup as March begins could be different when the month ends.

D’Antoni said Wednesday night the second unit dominated the first unit during scrimmages earlier this week. Davis confirmed a friendly rivalry is brewing between the super subs and the star-studded starting unit. That makes the Knicks (18-18) only the most dangerous .500 team in sports since the Giants were 7-7 in December.

“That’s our job is to come out and practice and play with that energy and intensity,’’ said Davis, who had eight assists and zero turnovers in 14-plus minutes. “It helps us. We’re not going to play against a better second unit than our first team. Every day in practice we are challenging them and we are kicking their butts.’’

So will D’Antoni look into tinkering with the starting five, even bringing Lin off the bench?

“It could [change],’’ D’Antoni said. “I’m trying to find the right combos. But it’s got to be determined over time. It’s not going to be over one game. Not going to just throw people under the bus for one or two games. Over a length of time, if they prove they need to be out there, they’ll be out there.’’

Having burgeoning 3-point ace Steve Novak replace struggling Amar’e Stoudemire in the starting lineup is politically incorrect. But not as much as if D’Antoni demotes Lin, whose numbers Wednesday were better than his overall effectiveness vs. Cleveland. With a late burst when the Knicks were in command, Lin finished with 19 points, 13 assists and one turnover.

Davis hurt the Cavaliers more than Lin during the Knicks’ second-half comeback with the Fab Five second unit of Novak, Iman Shumpert, J.R. Smith and Jared Jeffries. Their defensive spirit was superior to Carmelo Anthony’s starting group.

“If we’re serious about doing something important in the postseason, everyone has to buy into playing less minutes and playing harder and really stepping up,’’ D’Antoni said.

Stoudemire, a team player, said he just wants the championship ring.

“No, it’s OK,’’ Stoudemire said of facing fewer minutes. “We feel good about that. We feel great about the fact that we can play our second unit. That’s a beautiful thing for us because that’s going to be something that’s very important going down the stretch during the season and on to the playoffs.’’

Novak, who is shooting 49 percent in February, said he’s happy in his bench role.

“No controversy,’’ Novak said. “We know we’re going to go as far as Amar’e goes and Carmelo goes. We need them to be our leaders. Those two and Tyson [Chandler].’’

Lin, a strong candidate to win Player of the Month today for February after leading the Knicks to a 10-3 surge, has shown only minor signs of wearing down. The Knicks want to reduce his minutes to fewer than 35, but keep him as the starter in a perfect world.

One league executive said Lin will hit a rookie wall because this is essentially his rookie season after playing sparingly last year with Golden State. D’Antoni is also looking to temper expectations. In a playoff series vs. Miami, who is to say Davis’ experience won’t be in demand, especially the way Lin looked lost against the Heat trap last week?

“The story is he came from being cut a couple of times, almost being cut by us to leading the team to seven wins and dominate the league for [two] weeks,’’ D’Antoni said. “I think the story now is he can’t dominate the league all year. Nobody does that. To be able to be leader of the Knicks is a great story. Now he’s in a routine where 17-18 points [and] eight, 10, 12, assists, few turnovers and becomes a point guard who will make your team win. He’s doing that. It was a bounce-back [Wednesday] but he only had one blip after being tired from seven [games] in 10 nights and Miami jumped on him.’’

Davis, who has played four games, said his minutes will gradually increase but isn’t ready for more than 15 minutes a night when the Knicks begin their four-game road trip starting in Boston Sunday, before heading to Dallas, San Antonio and Milwaukee.

In December, Davis didn’t know if he’d ever make it to the court, yet was branded as their savior. Now he feels he still can be.

“This gives me a joy knowing I’m building and an added bonus of confidence going into the next game,’’ Davis said. “It’s one of those games getting the monkey off your back. I am part of the team. I know I can do certain things out there to help this team win.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...aWQQAon2WFSXuI

Comment

• Report: Pierce, Allen drawing more trade interest than Rondo

All the buzz today on your television and sports talk radio has been the idea that the Boston Celtics are ready to move Rajon Rondo. And they are — GM Danny Ainge isn’t “shopping” Rondo in the sense he is not calling around desperately trying to trade Rondo for a couple role players, the Celtics are happy to keep him. But if you call up and blow the Celtics away with an offer, you can get Rondo.

But when people are calling up, they are not asking for Rondo, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.

With the trading deadline two weeks away, multiple league sources indicate that Paul Pierce and Ray Allen — not Rajon Rondo — are drawing the most interest from potential trade partners…

Among the teams interested in them are the Clippers, who since Billups went down could use a veteran wing.

Why those two and not Rondo around the league? Fit and shorter contracts, the same things that drive most trades.

Allen has a skillset — the ability to shoot the ball — that fits in with any team. And with a $10 million expiring contract, there are a number of teams that could benefit from adding the NBA’s all-time 3-point shooting king. Among those believed to have some interest in Allen, are the Los Angeles Clippers. With the season-ending injury to Chauncey Billups, the Clippers have a huge void to fill at the shooting guard position.

As for Pierce, he still has two years remaining on his contract after this season (the final year is partially guaranteed), but he’s still one of the better one-on-one scorers in the NBA. Adding a player like Pierce, either as a starter or coming off the bench, could provide some much-needed depth to a title contender or a playoff team looking to improve their standing. Some of the teams believed to have interest in Pierce include both of his hometown teams — the Los Angeles Lakers and the Clippers — as well as the Houston Rockets.

It feels more and more like Ainge and the Celtics are going to make a big move, but that move may be more likely to be one of the “big three” than Rondo. That is, unless they can get someone to take on Jermaine O’Neal’s deal.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...rondo/related/

Comment

• Jeremy Lin, Carmelo Anthony and NY Knicks developing chemistry, so owner James Dolan should stay out of the way this year

Never mind that Jeremy Lin saved the Knicks’ season, runs the pick-and-roll better than John Stockton on his best day and can leap the Empire State Building in a single bound.

His greatest feat, so far, may be that he has been keeping James Dolan, the great meddler, from picking up a phone to talk trade with another owner.

Could Dolan revert to form and try to do something crazy before the trading deadline in 13 days? Of course. He’s always the X factor in all things Knicks, and we all remember how he commandeered the Carmelo Anthony trade talks last winter and turned it into a personal quest to overpay for the Nuggets star.

On that score, his execution was superb.

He could hardly contain his enthusiasm when he was involved in the Anthony trade talks, so you wonder how he’ll get his trade-deadline fix this time around.

But here we are over a year later and Dolan is calmly sitting in his baseline seat at the Garden, doing his very best to not jump into the basketball part of the business and do something rash. It has to be extremely difficult not to meddle, but perhaps Dolan is wising up after seeing how he wrecked last year’s team. At least he’s taking it easy on his top basketball man, Glen Grunwald, after forcing the Anthony deal down Donnie Walsh’s throat.

“They want to see how it all works with Lin and Carmelo,” said one Eastern Conference general manager who recently talked to the Knicks. “There’s a lot of hype now about Lin, but they want to see how it all fits.”

So let the Celtics break up their Big Three, which is what the Knicks’ opponents this Sunday in Boston are actively trying to do. Team president Danny Ainge realizes that the Celtics won’t win the title and can only make the playoffs. That’s not good enough for a franchise that proudly flies 17 championship banners.

With the Big Three’s window now shut, Ainge is trying to land Atlanta’s Josh Smith and other young studs, while offering up Kevin Garnett. Paul Pierce and Ray Allen can also be had, for young players and draft picks. Rajon Rondo might be leaving, too, with the Lakers and Utah seen as possible destinations.

But the Knicks are not interested in making any deals - as long as Dolan refrains from doing something impetuous. Something that Isiah Thomas would do.

Not that it would be easy. Amar’e Stoudemire is unmovable, as teams can’t get insurance on his fragile knees and teams are wondering what’s happened to his game. Anthony, still a Dolan fave, isn’t going anywhere. Tyson Chandler won’t get you Dwight Howard, not with his bloated contract.

But with Dolan, who’s to say what could happen in the next two weeks? This is no time for the owner to pull rank and start meddling. The Knicks have won nine of 12 games with Lin in the starting lineup. They need to see what they have and roll with it into the playoffs.

It’s a tricky puzzle. Anthony is blending in well, for now. But there is a suspicion throughout the NBA, among players and GM’s, that there will come a point where Carmelo won’t be satisfied watching Lin control the ball and dominate the spotlight.

In Mike D’Antoni’s system, Anthony will still get his shots. But Lin is running the operation.

“He gives the guys a settling influence and an understanding of how we want to play offensively,” D’Antoni said Thursday after practice. “He’s spearheading that. That’s the identity we want to have.”

It can’t be easy for Dolan to see Anthony demoted, although that’s exactly what Dolan did to Stoudemire when he brought Anthony to the Garden. But with Lin, the Knicks are on the way up and are in better shape than year ago. Tinkering with the product, at this point, would be foolish.

Dolan has to see that so much of this season is going to hinge on how Anthony incorporates his great scoring talents with Lin’s playmaking.

“I don’t know how long the process is going to be,” Lin said. “I think we’re at a better understanding now and we continue to grow. It’s not necessarily getting used to each other. It’s finding a good balance. We’ve definitely made progress.”

Here’s the kind of progress Knicks fans should want to see: Dolan refraining from calling another owner to play “Let’s Make a Deal.”

Then again, if Mikhail Prokhorov knows the Nets aren’t getting Dwight Howard and wants to move Deron Williams ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...1031706?pgno=1
                      sigpic

Comment

• Danny Ainge thinks Rajon Rondo stays - but sources say not so fast

Rajon Rondo’s trade status and thorny nature are again the stuff of national speculation, and Danny Ainge isn’t surprised.

“It’s never stopped,” the Celtics [team stats] president said yesterday after the latest wave hit with an ESPN.com report Wednesday. “It’s like if the Patriots [team stats] lose three straight games, and people start talking about trading Tom Brady [stats].”

Ainge was quick to insist Rondo’s most likely team following the March 15 trade deadline is the one that pays him now. He added that he is not currently trying to trade the point guard.

“I anticipate him being here for a long time,” said Ainge, who also derided reports that Rondo, who has butted heads with virtually every coach he’s ever had, now has a worsened relationship with Doc Rivers.

“Rondo and Doc get along fine. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t bumps in the road. But I would go so far as to say they get along now better than they ever have. This is nothing new. There are other issues that concern us so much more.”

That brings him back to Rondo, and the fact that Ainge, perhaps more than most general managers, is willing to trade anyone.

Though he said yesterday that the last time he called a team to gauge interest in Rondo was to the New Orleans Hornets when it had Chris Paul this offseason, it wasn’t the first time he attempted to engineer a point guard swap.

Two league sources told the Herald yesterday that Ainge pitched a Rondo-for-Russell Westbrook trade to Oklahoma City general manager Sam Presti last winter, and was quickly turned down.

The talks continued and eventually resulted in the much-dissected deal that sent Kendrick Perkins [stats] to the Thunder for Jeff Green.

Though some of the recent rumors are groundless — Rondo for Lakers big man Pau Gasol and for Golden State Warriors point guard Stephen Curry never were discussed, according to one of the sources — the Celtics indeed are open to trading Rondo if it means getting another point guard in return.

“Are there five guys in the NBA they might trade him for?” the source said. “If you’re talking Westbrook, Chris Paul or Deron Williams, then you have something to think about.”

The problem for the Celtics is they’re unlikely to secure a commitment in the form of a contract extension from Williams, the New Jersey Nets playmaker and impending free agent.

Indeed, Rondo’s trade value has taken a hit. The Celtics can’t hope to get back equal value for him, according to the other source.

“There are irreconcilable differences between him and the team, and it’s been that way for a couple of years,” the source said, citing Rondo’s well-documented stubborn streak. “His value around the league has taken a hit. He’s not exactly the Chamber of Commerce’s man of the year. They’ve been kidding themselves for years. Doc can put an arm around him and give him a kiss and try to make it all better, but that just ain’t happening.

“He was cut from the national team (prior to the 2010 FIBA World Championship),” the source said. “I know the reason they gave was that he had to leave for personal reasons, but that’s baloney. He was cut. He’s a moody guy who has trouble fitting in.”

According to the source, there is a dearth of interest in Rondo around the league.

“They’re desperate to (trade Rondo),” the source said of the Celtics [team stats]. “He’s the only real asset they have. The other guys, the Big Three, aren’t assets at this point. The problem they now face is that he’s an undesirable. This league is full of undesirables, and some are more talented. You can probably get (Minnesota Timberwolves forward) Michael Beasley for less than Rondo, but he’s another guy people don’t want.

“All I know right now is that if Ainge is calling me right now, I have him over a barrel.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...lt#articleFull
                        sigpic

Comment

• Stein: Lakers may be interested in Kirk Hinrich. Laker fans, you may now be depressed.

"Keep an eye on Atlanta Hawks guard Kirk Hinrich. If the Lakers can’t make a splashy move for the elite point guard they crave — a long shot at best at this point — and can’t swing a deal for top fallback choice Ramon Sessions, taking Hinrich and his $8.1 million salary into their $8.9 million Lamar Odom trade exception is a natural move to give L.A. some semblance of an upgrade in the backcourt going into the postseason.

The Hawks, as always, want to reduce payroll and would gladly take a future draft pick back for Hinrich, who’s no longer part of their plans. The Lakers, though, are rather skittish themselves about adding payroll these days, which is why they gave Odom away to the rival Mavericks in the first place and could actually prevent them from doing anything.

L.A. would naturally want Atlanta to take back some salary in a Hinrich deal, but there’s zero chance of that happening."

For the Lakers, the main reason to do this trade would be that they desperately need someone who can provide penetration and outside shooting, and Hinrich is indeed a point guard. On the other hand, Kirk Hinrich has not been playing basketball well. At all. Which is an issue.

Hinrich was an extremely promising young guard in the 06-07 season, when he scored 16.6 points per game on 44.8% shooting from the field and 41.5% from beyond the arc while playing excellent defense, but has been in a kind of downward spiral ever since. This year, the 31-year old Hinrich is averaging 4.8 points and 2.5 assists per game on 34.0%/23.7%/57.1% shooting, and has an abysmal PER of 7.17.

There’s a chance that Hinrich could re-find his old form playing with Bryant, Gasol, and Bynum, but this would be the definition of a desperation trade for the Lakers.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...essed/related/

Comment

• Owner says Smart will return as Kings coach next season

Keith Smart has seemed to make a connection with the Kings players.

That has not translated to winning yet — since he took over and the team has gone 10-18. But you are seeing better energy and play out of DeMarcus Cousins, you are seeing better defense, you’re seeing a respectable team starting to form. Paul Westphal had lost the Kings, Smart has their attention.

So the Kings are going to keep Smart around. That’s what co-owner Joe Maloof told Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.

“Yes,” Maloof said emphatically when asked if Smart’s option would be picked up. “With no disrespect to our past coaches, we really have someone who everybody likes now. The players like him, the basketball staff likes him, we trust him, and he knows the game. Keith Smart is a wonderful coach, and we’re lucky to have him. … Yes, we’ll pick it up. We want him to be our coach forever.”

Smart deserves the break. He was hired to take over in Golden State right as an ownership change was taking place that forced Don Nelson out. He was in a no man’s land — he was the coach but not the choice of the new front office. He guided the Warriors to a 36-46 record – about exactly what should have been expected out of the roster he was given — then was fired to make way for Mark Jackson.

Then he’s an assistant in Sacramento who gets thrust into the head coaching job following players having tuned out the last coach and the franchise threatening to move. He’s done a good job and with the Kings looking like they are staying in Sacramento Smart deserves the chance to see what he can do with a full season. Looks like he’ll get it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...eason/related/

Comment

• Fifty Years Ago, One Hundred Set The Bar

Fifty years later, so much remains in dispute about what's right there in black and white in the gaudiest box score line in the history of the NBA.

Exactly 50 years since Wilt Chamberlain laid an unfathomable 100 points on the New York Knicks on a Friday night in tiny Hershey, Pa., no one can seem to agree on whether Wilt's final basket came via dunk or layup.

No one can say for sure where the game ball went, either.

Fifty years removed from a magic show that came more than four decades too soon for Flip cams and video phones, 21st-century know-it-alls can't wait to tell you how Kobe Bryant's 81 points against Toronto in 2006 were actually gaudier that the untelevised, unfilmed, completely unrecorded damage Wilt inflicted at the Hershey Sports Arena on March 2, 1962.

So let's do the best we can.

On the 50th anniversary of Chamberlain's historic journey into triple digits -- with the Philadelphia 76ers hosting the Golden State Warriors later Friday and NBA TV ready to roll out its new "Wilt 100" documentary narrated by Bill Russell an hour before tipoff -- let's set the mood with an eyewitness account of what happened on the night that has come to define Chamberlain's harder-to-believe 1961-62 season stats.

In '61-62, you'll recall, Chamberlain averaged 50.4 points and 25.7 rebounds per game.

Averaged.

Al Attles certainly remembers. Now 75 and serving as a Warriors executive, he was one of Chamberlain's Philly Warriors teammates that night. In a recent visit with ESPN.com, Attles shared his 50-year-old recollections from what was just the Warriors' third game that season in their training camp home of Hershey … one that drew a mere 4,124 fans and virtually no media coverage from even the print or photo realms.

Here's Attles on:

The achievement itself

"There's two things that I always talk about when I talk about that game. One is that we won the game. So many people I've talked to over the years say, 'You played in the game where the guy scored 100 points and you lost the game.' We won the game, so that's a fact. It bothers me -- it shouldn't, but it does -- that a lot of people want to put a losing tag on it and say Wilt scored 100 points and they lost the game. We didn't lose the game.

"The other thing is that Wilt tried to come out of the ballgame before he got 100 points. A lot of people thought he was being selfish or trying to rub it in. No. He wasn't trying to do that. He tried to come out, but [then-Warriors coach] Frank McGuire would not take him out. He had driven up from New York [that day], and he was tired. He tried to come out because the game was won, but Frank wouldn't listen. But the thing I'm happiest about is that he didn't score another point after 100. One hundred points sounds a lot better to me than 102 or 104 or whatever it is."

Wilt driving to the game all the way from New York City

"We went [as a team] from Philadelphia to Hershey on a bus, but Wilt rode up from New York with Johnny Green and Willie Naulls [of the Knicks]. Wilt tells the story that, on the way back, he had to sit in the backseat pretending to be asleep because Willie and Johnny were really giving him a hard time. They were saying things like they were going to put him out on the freeway or something. Pretty heavy stuff.

"But he actually told me [before tipoff] that he was going to have a hot game, because when he got to Hershey he went to one of those arcades. You have to remember that a lot of times we didn't have a hotel to go to before a game [on short trips] to take a rest like they do now so [teams] could save a little money. So we would just go straight to the arena. But first he went to one of those arcades to play a rifle game. And he said he was so hot shooting that gun that he knew he was going to have a hot game. Now, he didn't tell me he'd score 100 points, but he thought that was one of the reasons."

Why Wilt was allowed to live in New York during the season and drive to a game separately from the rest of his teammates

"Think about what you just said. There were a lot of things allowed back then that aren't allowed now. How about playing 18 games in 21 days? A lot of things went on back then that wouldn't be allowed today, but you have to understand that the league was in a different place. He followed all the rules he was supposed to follow. They knew that he would get to the game on time. You have to understand that we're talking 1962. There was a lot of that going on back then. For instance, I lived in Newark. If I wanted to go home during the season, I could.

"There's so many things that Wilt never did that people thought he did. He was the star of the team, but he still adhered to all the rules everybody else adhered to. It was kind of a loose business back then. He didn't get on the bus to Philadelphia from Hershey because he came from New York. He was the owner of Small's Paradise -- that's mainly why he lived in Harlem during the season [to run his nightclub] -- but he never missed a practice.

"Newark was 96 miles from Philadelphia, so he had to go another 10 miles to get to New York City. But think about this: After every practice, Wilt drove back to New York. And after every game, Wilt drove back to New York. So he's going up and down that turnpike basically every day, because you didn't have a lot of days off back then.

"But when you tell people that, usually the first thing they'll say is that you're saying that because he's a friend of yours. That upsets me, because it means you're telling me that I can't be objective about a friend, which I can. I only played in Philadelphia for two years, but I don't ever remember Wilt missing a practice. Now sometimes he wanted to be a guard in practice, but he never missed one."

The historic basket to get him to triple digits

"I don't remember the exact number, but what happened was, [PA announcer] Dave Zinkoff started calling out every point [after] every basket. I don't know exactly at what point he started, but Zink was such a great announcer with such a distinctive voice, you can still hear it in your head today. 'Thaaaaat's 82.'"

"But for the longest time -- and I was there -- I had visions of how he scored the 100th point, and I was wrong. I thought he had three offensive rebounds and finally put it in. It wasn't 'til later on that I found out that Joe Ruklick actually passed the ball to him and then he scored the 100th point. But that will happen to you as you get older. You'll see."

The farcical nature of the fourth quarter

"We were obviously trying to get [the ball] to him, and of course the Knicks were trying everything to stop him from getting to 100. The Knicks started holding the ball and fouling other players [besides Wilt], so Frank McGuire tried to counteract that by having us foul back to get the ball back. Wilt's teammates were egging him on to get the 100 and the fans wanted him to get to 100, but the Knickerbockers weren't too thrilled about it. So I can't deny that it turned into a foulfest, but there were fouls on both sides of the ledger.

"Opinions are like a nose -- everyone has one. So I'm sure there are a lot of people you could talk to who have an opinion on that night and were not really thrilled with what happened that night. There's always going to be people knocking [Chamberlain], but you're talking about someone who elevated this game of basketball."

Chamberlain's postgame mood

"He was very disappointed in the locker room. Teammates were going crazy, but he had a mad look on his face. So I asked him, 'Big Fella, what's the matter? He had just gotten the stat sheet in his hand, and he used to sweat profusely. Water was coming down just like he was in a rain shower. Wilt was looking at the stat sheet and he said, 'I never thought I would take 63 shots in a game.' So I said, 'But you made 36.'"

Chamberlain's 28-for-32 showing at the free throw line and the role that the famously forgiving rims at Hershey Arena played in making history

"Evidently you've talked to somebody about that arena. Because we used to say that those rims were like sewers. As long as you got it up on the rim, there was a great chance that it was going in. But you can make any judgment you want. Both teams had to play with those rims, and both teams had to play in that arena. Unless you denigrate it for everybody, you don't denigrate it for him. He just had an incredible night. [Going] 28-for-32 was obviously what got him over the hump, but I feel badly when people try to poke holes in it. Both teams had to play in that gym."

The tragic lack of television footage from the game

"The problem was that they didn't have overhead lights in that arena. Now if that game had been in Convention Hall [in Philadelphia], they would have been able to film it. That picture with Wilt holding up the piece of paper [famed Philadelphia statistician] Harvey Pollack gave him with 100 on it, that's the only thing left that shows what happened.

"I feel badly that for whatever reason people want to knock him. We're talking about a feat that, unless they change the scoring even more dramatically [than adding a 3-point shot], I have a hard time seeing how anybody will ever score 100 points.

"I still talk to Wilt's sister quite a bit. And what I tell Barbara is, those of us who were there that night or even just played with Wilt, we have a story to tell. And it's very, very important to tell that story. First of all, it's important because, as everyone knows, there's no clear film of the game. A number of books have been written, but the thing about books, I've read books from people who were not there that came up with things that just didn't happen.

"But the main reason it's important is to keep his legacy alive. Not just the 100-point game, but his entire body of work. It's just human nature, but as time goes on, people tend to denigrate things that happened a long time ago. 'He scored 100 points, but who'd he play against?' You still hear things like that. People for some reason felt he had an advantage physically over everyone else, so then he should have done all these things. I don't buy that theory."

What happened to the game ball

"For a long time, I was thought to have the ball. [Various reporters] used to crucify me because they thought I had it. I don't have the basketball. And I don't really know what happened to the ball.

"I have a basketball that Wilt gave me, but it's not the 100-point ball. He gave me a ball and signed it and had a plaque made with it. And what it says is: 'To Al … who did all the right things at the wrong time.' And what he really meant was that I didn't miss a shot that night [going 8-for-8 from the field], but no one remembers. It's great to be the second-leading scorer … you think you're doing OK until you see that the guy who was No. 1 had 100 points.

"But when I showed people that ball, they saw the commissioner's name on the ball is Walter Kennedy. The commissioner [when Wilt scored 100 points] was actually Maurice Podoloff. We all signed the ball on the [team] bus, because we were told the ball was going to be sent to the Hall of Fame. But I don't know what happened after that."

Whether anyone will ever duplicate Wilt's feat or get any closer than Kobe's 81 points

"We're talking about something that has never been done before or since. For something like that to happen, lots of things have to fall into place. I just don't think that it can happen again.

"Today's coaches would make it almost impossible. The organized double-teams you see today didn't happen back then. The only team going back to when I was playing that would kind of have double teams would be Boston. For instance, they'd put [Jim] Loscutoff in back of Wilt and [Bill] Russell in front. But it wasn't organized.

"Then you have to talk about the skills Wilt had. I don't know if we'll ever see another guy who has the skills of Wilt playing that close to the basket. If there are 10 things that basketball players are supposed to do, maybe some guys could do seven well or eight well, but Wilt was the only guy I ever knew who could do nine out of 10 well … everything but shoot free throws. I know you've got the 3-point shot now, but I don't know who would physically be able to do it the way he did it.

"So I would be very surprised if it ever happened again. That's the beauty of it."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...stands-tallest

p.s. godisnjica je bila juce, ali steta da se ne okaci.

Comment

• O'Neal said he's considering wrist surgery

WALTHAM -- Jermaine O'Neal was taking jumpers at the team's practice facility today, wearing a protective splint on his left wrist. He visited a hand specialist Wednesday and described the session like visiting a fast food restaurant, where the doctor laid out options as if they were various value meals.

O'Neal said that he's three options for treatment of his wrist: 1) a cortisone shot 2). minor surgery that may cost him a month or so or 2) more extensive surgery that would mean missing the rest of the season and perhaps end his career.

O'Neal was injured taking a charge from Dallas' Dominique Jones on Feb. 20 and hasn't played since. He said the damage was more extensive than expected.

"People talk about the term 'sacrificing your body' and I've done that," he said. "With those charges, almost every time I've been out this year it's been because me taking those charges. It's a situation where you gather all your options. I know what my options are as far as surgeries and injections. It's something I gotta have surgery on. You're just trying to figure out when to do it."

The issue that concerns O'Neal is post career. He said he was unable to pick up his young son in the past few days, and playing further without surgery could damage the wrist permanently.

"We saw some changes in the MRI that long term you have to be worried about," he said. "I didn't come to Boston for any money. I made a ton of money in my career. I came here to win a championship. Obviously we've been up and down but at some point in life you have to figure out just how much your body can take. I want to be able to function and that's the conversation that I'm having now more than ever. Playing vs. functioning while I'm finished playing. That's probably the biggest concern right now."

http://articles.boston.com/2012-03-0...urgery-options

Comment

Working...
                                X