This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Doesn’t See a Future in Milwaukee

Stephen Jackson’s stint with the Milwaukee Bucks hasn’t gone quite as planned. Less than halfway through his first season in Milwaukee, Jackson is already tired of the organization and wants a trade. He’s not hiding his frustration and admits that he wants to be dealt before the trade deadline.

The Bucks acquired Jackson on the night of the 2011 NBA Draft and hoped that he would provide leadership and take the team to the next level. Instead, he has been moved to the end of the bench and feuded with Bucks head coach Scott Skiles.

When asked if he has a future in Milwaukee, Jackson shook his head.

“Not at all,” Jackson told HOOPSWORLD. “It’s obvious, you can see that. I’m just waiting until my situation is different. I’m coming to work every day and keeping myself prepared so that when my situation does get better, I’m ready to go.”

Jackson is frustrated with his diminished role and doesn’t understand why he’s not playing more. Over the last two seasons with the Charlotte Bobcats, the 12-year NBA veteran averaged 19.8 points and 37.3 minutes. This month, he’s averaging 21.3 minutes per game and has been benched altogether for five games.

“It’s very difficult,” Jackson said. “I’m going from playing 38 minutes each game and being one of the top guys in minutes played over the last five years to not playing at all. It’s tough. The only thing that I can do is worry about what I can control and that’s trying to be a professional and keep supporting the young guys. It’s tough though, with how much I love the game. I know I have a lot of basketball left in me. It’s tough not being out there and not being able to contribute.”

Jackson says that his relationship with Bucks head coach Scott Skiles is irreparable. He doesn’t appreciate the way that Skiles has handled this situation, describing his benching as disrespectful.

“I’ve worked hard for many years to be that player that guys want to play with,” Jackson said. “To not be playing, and not have any reasons behind it, it’s kind of disrespectful. At the end of the day, I’m 33 years old. I’m not a 22-year-old guy that you’re coaching. I’m a grown man who’s probably done more than a lot of people in this locker room in this league, including coaches. Like I said, I can’t put myself in the game and I can’t do anything except support my teammates and be ready for when I do play.”

Skiles has not met with Jackson to discuss the situation, according to the small forward.

“No, there’s really nothing you can say,” Jackson said. “There’s no excuse for it.”

On Friday, the Bucks faced off against the Orlando Magic. After the game, Jackson said he would love to join the Magic and play alongside his good friend Dwight Howard.

“I would love to [play in Orlando],” Jackson said. “Dwight has said a couple of times that he wants me to be with him. When you get a compliment like that from a big man like Dwight, it means a lot. Tim Duncan always steps up for me and says I’m the ultimate teammate too. When I have guys like that speaking up for me, I must have been doing something right throughout my whole career. I know my situation is going to get better eventually and I’m just going to keep being professional and keep my mouth closed.”

While Jackson has become somewhat of a distraction, he insists that he’s trying to keep his teammates out of the line of fire. Many of Jackson’s teammates love him and a lot of the young players in the locker room look up to him. He hopes his situation gets resolved, but he doesn’t want them to be dragged into his drama.

“I really don’t want them to get involved in it,” Jackson said. “I want them to continue to play and worry about winning games. I can handle my own situation. I’ve been a great professional, one of the top players in this league for a long time, and my play will speak for itself.”

The NBA’s trade deadline is on March 15 and Jackson is definitely someone who could be on the move.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/stephen-ja...e-in-milwaukee
    sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

• Kobe Bryant rips Lakers management

PHOENIX -- After a frustrating 102-90 loss to the Phoenix Suns on Sunday in a game where the Los Angeles Lakers trailed by as many as 27 points before dropping the game and their road record to a paltry 5-11, the elephant that's been lingering in the team's locker room ever since the vetoed Chris Paul trade was finally addressed by Kobe Bryant.

Either trade Pau Gasol, or don't, Bryant said. But make a decision either way and make it fast.

Kobe Bryant on Pau Gasol trade rumors

I'd rather (Lakers management) not trade him, but if they're going to do it, (expletive) do it already. If you're not going to do it, come out and say you're not going to do it.
      "Basketball is such an emotional game, you got to be able to have all of yourself in the game and invested in the game. We didn't have that," Bryant said after Gasol had 17 points and 12 rebounds against the Suns. "Pau, it's hard for Pau because of all this trade talk and all this other stuff, it's hard for him to kind of invest himself completely or immerse himself completely into games when he's hearing trade talk every other day. I wish management would come out and either trade him or not trade him."

Bryant made it clear that he prefers that the Lakers choose to not trade Gasol, the four-time All-Star who Bryant paired with to win consecutive championships in 2009 and 2010.

"I talked to (Gasol) a little bit about it," Bryant said. "It's just tough for a player to give his all when you don't know if you're going to be here tomorrow. I'd rather them not trade him at all. If they're going to do something, I wish they would just (expletive) do it. If they're not going to do it, come out and say you're not going to do it. This way he can be comfortable, he can go out, he can play and he can invest all of himself into the game."

Just like Bryant wants Gasol to remain in L.A., Gasol said he wants to remain a Laker.

"So, we got March 15th, the (trade) deadline," Gasol said as he made his way to the team bus after the game when reporters caught up to him to pass on Bryant's remarks. "That's what I'm thinking (about). Hopefully we get to that day (without a trade). Obviously if something was told to me before, it would be good, but I'm not trying to force things. I'm not trying to force a team, 'If they want to trade me, trade me tomorrow.' Because obviously I still believe in our team, I believe in our city and I believe that we can continue to be a special, special team and a successful team."

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told SI.com over the weekend that a major move involving the Lakers' roster was unlikely.

"Of course we'll talk to a lot of teams (about trades), like everybody else does, leading up until the trade deadline to see if there is a way to improve the team," Kupchak said in the SI.com report. "But the likelihood is that this is the team that's going to finish into the playoffs. That's just the way it normally works, but we'll see."

However, Kupchak has not had any direct conversations with Gasol about the power forward's future with the franchise since the two spoke on the first day of training camp in the aftermath of the failed three-team deal that would have sent Gasol to the Houston Rockets in order to acquire Paul from the New Orleans Hornets.

"No. Nothing," Gasol said when asked if he has had a meeting with Kupchak regarding the continued trade speculation. "I've seen him after games in the locker room. That's about it, but we haven't really spoken about anything."

Gasol was then asked by a reporter if he planned to initiate a conversation with Kupchak when the team returns to Los Angles on Monday to play the Portland Trail Blazers.

"I don't know if I should be approaching him, because obviously there's a lot of rumors. There's a lot of talks and teams seem to continue to make offers and (the Lakers are) listening, otherwise those offers wouldn't be out there," Gasol said. "It seems like there is a team almost every other day that is putting something together, which is flattering and I'm glad there are teams out there who would love to have me on their roster, because they believe in the player that I am, but at the same time, it's frustrating because if I own a player or a player plays for my team and I say, 'Look, I'm not interested in listening to anything because I value my player and I want to keep him here,' then all that stops. But, it seems that it's not that way. That's the feeling I get and I haven't really confirmed it, but from the situation and all of the talks, that's what I perceive."

Lakers coach Mike Brown said that Gasol hasn't been able to avoid the rumors that have linked Gasol in trade scenarios with Houston, Boston, Minnesota, Orlando and Chicago in recent weeks.

"He was on his computer (Saturday) when we landed and he was looking through some articles and all that," Brown told ESPNLosAngeles.com after the team's shootaround Sunday. "I just leaned over and said, 'Pau, you got to stop looking at that crap. It will kill you if you do.' It's out of his control. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. Nobody knows, except for the people upstairs and ownership. ... To worry about it, to try to do anything about it, it's wasted energy."

Pau Gasol on trade rumor

So, we got March 15th, the (trade) deadline. That's what I'm thinking (about). Hopefully we get to that day (without a trade).
      Coming into Sunday, the 11-year veteran was averaging just 16.6 points on 49.5 percent shooting compared to the 18.8 points on 52.9 percent shooting he averaged last season, but Brown insists Gasol's on-court performance is not linked to any off-court speculation.

"What he shoots from the field and all that (has nothing to do with the trade rumors)," Brown said. "Pau can play. That has nothing to do with any of the rumors out there. Rumors are going to happen all the time. There's rumors about every guy on this team in one way, shape or form. We just got to as a team, as individuals, we got to ignore the noise."

Bryant told reporters Friday, "It's important for (Gasol) to know we support him," but was much more vocal on Sunday.

"I'm sure we'll make some tweaks here and there, but the foundation obviously starts with myself and Pau and the emergence of Andrew (Bynum)," Bryant said. "But you can't have one of our pillars not knowing if he's going to be here or not. Do something. One way or another, do something.

"... If they trade him, at least you have some type of closure. At least he gets some closure. I'd rather them not trade him, but if they're going to do it, (expletive) do it already. If you're not going to do it, come out and say you're not going to do it."

The Lakers have started the season 18-13 despite the tumult surrounding Gasol's status and Bryant clearly appreciated how Gasol has handled himself thus far.

"He's been the consummate professional," Bryant said. "He's going out, he's trying to do what he can, but let's be real. If you didn't know you were going to be here tomorrow, if your head's on the chopping block, you feel like you're just waiting. It's tough to put all of yourself into the game.

"You just want security, a little clarity. I think that would help him out a lot."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...au-gasol-trade
      Originally posted by Brajkula
      Veruj meni, radi kako hoćeš

Brajkula, 2014. N.E

Comment

• J.J. Hickson finds being with Kings a royal disappointment: Cavaliers Insider

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- LeBron James said last week he might consider returning to Cleveland in two years. J.J. Hickson made it clear Sunday night he never wanted to leave.

The former Cavalier forward was at The Q with his new team and sounded like a player who would rather be almost anywhere except Sacramento. Even Anaheim. Hickson is struggling to adjust to a new team and a return to his natural position of power forward. He is averaging 5.2 points and less than 20 minutes a game all the while costing himself significant money in a contract year.

"I'm not having the year I wanted to have, not just personally but we're not winning," said Hickson, an unrestricted free agent as season's end. "But after going through the season [the Cavs] went through last year, I didn't want to come to a situation like this. I wanted to rebuild here, but I got traded and things happen."

The Cavaliers shipped Hickson to the Kings for Omri Casspi and a much-protected, first-round draft choice on June 30, 2011. They no longer needed to worry about whether to commit long-term to Hickson, who averaged 13.8 points and 8.7 rebounds last season, but irritated coaches with his mental lapses and inconsistency.

Hickson said he was surprised by the trade, even though the Cavaliers selected power forward Tristan Thompson with the No. 4 overall pick a week earlier.

"No, even with that pick you can still trade him or do other things with that pick," Hickson said. "I didn't see that coming at all. Unfortunately it happened and I'm a Sacramento King now."

At the Kings' media day in December, Hickson asked whether rumors about the team moving to Anaheim were true. He was heard to say, "I really like Anaheim."
        Hickson was asked if he could make it work with the Kings' organization. After a pregnant pause, he responded: "Uh, yeah. I think so, yeah."

He entered action Sunday shooting 38.2 percent from the floor, 10 percentage points below his career average. He is coming off the bench and too often settles for jump shots. Interim coach Keith Smart said Hickson, who played center last season after the injury to Anderson Varejao, is still adjusting to power forward, a position where he believed he could be dominant while in Cleveland.

"Honestly I don't know," said Hickson when asked if the position switch is the problem. "It's more mental than anything being in a new system, two new coaches in less than two months, new style of play, new personnel on the court. New front office, new way of doing things. Everything is a blur to me."
        Would Hickson want to return to the Cavs next season?

"Of course, why not?" he said. "I'm not saying 'no, I don't want to come back.' If the opportunity presented itself, why not?"

Comment

• Jason Terry is not a member of the Jeremy Lin fan club

Sunday may have changed his mind. That is when Jeremy Lin put up 28 points and 14 assists in leading the Knicks past the Mavericks. That included six points and six assists in the fourth quarter when the Knicks took over the game.

Going into that game, Jason Terry was not as impressed as the rest of us.

He saw the 45 in the seven games before that, the fact Lin turns the ball over on 21.6 percent of his possessions used and said his previous coaches wouldn’t have tolerated it. That he would have been benched. Here is what Terry told the Star-Telegram before the game Sunday.

“I’ve been a point guard in this league and (45 turnovers in seven games) would have gotten me on the bench real fast,” Terry said….

“He’s in (Knicks coach Mike) D’Antoni’s system, and any player that plays a guard position in D’Antoni’s system has opportunities to be able to put up good numbers, and I think that’s what he’s been able to do,” Terry said. “The ball’s in your hands a lot and you’re going to have turnovers….

“I think it’s a lot of hype right now,” Terry said. “Is he going to be a good player in the future? If he continues to work, he will. But given the opportunity, he’s taken advantage of it. But everybody’s making a lot out of just the seven games he’s played.”

Terry is right in that Lin has benefitted from the D’Antoni system. Lin has been the perfect fit for the Knicks and that system — he pushes the tempo, sees the court well, plays smart off the pick and roll, plays to his strengths (he goes right) and he’s confidently knocking down outside shots. Is he turning the ball over more than you’d like? Sure. But in his MVP seasons Steve Nash turned the ball over 17 and 20 percent of his possessions — D’Antoni asks a lot of his point guard and tolerates mistakes if other things are going well.

But, as Terry said, Lin has grabbed the advantage given him with both hands.

Other coaches looked at Lin and focused on what he can’t do — his outside shot was shaky, he’s not strong going left — and not what he can do. D’Antoni may have been forced to give him a chance more out of circumstance than desire. But the fact is he does fit.

And after that game Sunday, you would think Terry would be a believer. His response then was that Lin “was a tough kid.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-club/related/

Comment

• Arenas opens up after lengthy hiatus from league, media

When Gilbert Arenas pulled the plug on his "AgentZeroShow" Twitter account last September, he went dark in ways we hadn't seen since his fascinating rise and infamous fall.

He stayed out of the social media circle and out of the spotlight that caused him so much angst in recent years, and on Dec. 9, the Orlando Magic used their amnesty clause on the three-time All-Star. Arenas, who struggled in 49 games with the Magic after being acquired from Washington in December 2010, is owed $62 million over the next three years.

In his 10-month respite from the NBA floor, the 30-year-old Arenas is starting to become whole again, personally and professionally. He's returned to the court, most recently in a workout for the Lakers in Los Angeles, has shed more than 20 pounds since last season and has stabilized his home life with his longtime girlfriend and mother of his four kids.

Arenas spoke candidly with SI.com in a 90-minute interview that touched on everything from the ill-fated gun incident in the Wizards' locker room on Christmas Eve 2009 to the "downward spiral" it caused in recent years to his long road back.

SI.com: Where are you at with getting back to work?

Arenas: When I got amnestied, I was told by my mentor [Magic general manager Otis Smith] to do a couple things before I decided to get back to the NBA, and that was clear my mind, get my thoughts together and get myself healthy. That's what I've been doing, getting healthy. I didn't like the product I put out last year and the only thing you can do about that is just get it better.

SI.com: What goes into clearing your mind?

Arenas: Reflecting. You just reflect on your basketball career and see how far you came. I watch a lot of game tape of last year in Washington and finishing up in Orlando. I just realized even going back to training camp it was basically a spiral down. I didn't have it anymore. I didn't have the spirit. I guess somewhere that summer, or somewhere the season before that, I lost the spirit to play, and that's what showed last year. I was depressed.

When something drastic happens in our life, one person goes and hides and doesn't want to be seen. That's what I did. [Others] want to stand up and fight and think they're tough. Like if someone gets shot, you're either scared of guns or you think you're Superman. In my situation, I wanted to hide. I didn't want to be seen anymore.

SI.com: Does it feel like you can get that spirit back?

Arenas: Someone close to me told me I lost myself a long time ago when I invented Agent Zero, and I didn't understand what the person was talking about at the time. He's like, "You were basically on the road down anyway, the image you were putting out meant you were going to get killed at some point." Now it's like, "Yeah, you were right."

When I got amnestied, I could've just taken the money and just left, and just basically said, "Hey, you guys did me a favor. I don't want to be crucified anymore." As much as I've done for fans and for people, it sucks the way the world works. You can do a hundred things for people, but you do one bad mistake and everyone crucifies you and that's all they want to remember. They don't want to remember I gave my own money to the [Washington] D.C. school district and built up the D.C. school district. They don't want to remember none of that. They just want to remember, "Oh, I single-handedly destroyed the Washington Wizards franchise." It sucks, but that's the way it is.

So I decided I'm not here to prove anybody wrong anymore. I'm just here to prove myself right. I'm not here to chase the money, to chase stats. Now what you have is a basketball player who's ready to play, and that's what people don't understand. Like on Sept. 1, when I shut my Twitter down, this is the first time you're hearing from me, because I let everything go. Who I am is what you don't hear. When you don't hear me, I'm living my life -- quiet, I don't get in trouble, don't drink, don't smoke. But if you ask anybody else, I'm just this -- what would they call me? -- problem child. Somebody who gets in trouble all the time.

I don't pay attention anymore. But right now, you have a basketball player. I work out two times a day, every day. I watch tape. I play basketball. If I don't play in the NBA, I'm playing at the YMCA and I'm just as happy.

SI.com: What's your setup like now in Orlando?

Arenas: It's regular -- regular house with regular people around me. All I want to be is regular.

NBA is fantasy. Sports are fantasy. Driving around in all the new cars and jewelry and all of this -- that's fantasy. And if you can't escape, then you lose yourself. If you can't get home, can't escape that world, you lose yourself in it because fans, media -- they can't decipher between the two. They don't realize there's two different people. Like Lady Gaga, that's the image she's giving you guys, but when she's at home, she's a normal person. And when she's in the public eye, that's who she is. When I was in the public eye, I was Agent Zero. When I'm home, and I'm away from everybody, I'm me. And I felt when "me" got attacked with that felony charge, I didn't know how to react with that one.

SI.com: What do you mean?

Arenas: Like when you get in a trouble -- it's not like I got in trouble in the regular world. I didn't get in trouble in the regular world. I got in trouble in my fantasy world. And when I hear [former players] crucify me, it irritates me sometimes because I used to read stuff on them so it's like, "How do you even have the nerve to say that?" Sometimes I just hate listening to them when they talk about the NBA and the new players and stuff like that, because the funny thing is the older players used to say the same things about them, too, and it goes on and on and on and on.

But when you get in trouble at your workplace, the only way someone finds out is if somebody wants you to hear about it -- just like at your home. If I hear something about you at your house, then somebody at your household wants me to hear about it.

SI.com: With something that serious, though, wouldn't it always get out?

Arenas: At some point everything does get out, right? Players are always talking -- hearsay exists -- but if it gets put out, then somebody wants it to be put out. Prime examples: Cleveland with LeBron [James]. While he was there, no problem with LeBron, right? Soon as he leaves, it's, "Oh, he did this in Game 5" and [so on]. It's because they don't need him anymore. He doesn't do anything for them anymore, so you can go try to paint his name. [And with] Carmelo [Anthony]: Hey, while he's there [in Denver], it's [great]. Then he gets traded, and they talk about him. It's the same thing.

SI.com: So what's the conclusion -- that the Wizards were done with you?

Arenas: Were they done with me? I can't get into that. I just feel like the NBA is a fantasy. You live in a dream. My felony charge is real-life stuff. But I'm crucified, like I just go out in the streets [causing problems], but no one sees me. No one sees me in public. I'm in my house all the time.

SI.com: You get out to the YMCA, though. What's that group like? Anybody there with any past experience?

Arenas: I'm playing with players who just love the game of basketball. Past experience? They've played the game of basketball before, yeah [laughs].

SI.com: Are these 65- or 70-year-old guys out there or what?

Arenas: There's some 45, pushing 50. Other than that, it's 30s, 20s, some teens. It's fun. That's fun basketball.

SI.com: Tell me about the platelet-rich therapy you underwent in early January.

Arenas: I had the procedure done on my knees and hips in New York because I kept hearing how much better Kobe [Bryant] felt [the Lakers' 33-year-old guard had it done on his right knee last June]. So I did my research into it, called the people in Germany and they told me what the process was and what it targeted -- arthritis, achiness -- and that's what I was dealing with. So I ended up having the procedure.

By the second shot, I was feeling 10 times better, so I ended up getting six shots and I actually did both of my knees because basically I was favoring one side of the leg for the last couple of years [because of three knee surgeries]. It was six days, every day. And then I came back a week later and had my hips done.

I'm not going to lie, I feel so much better. I'm jumping and moving like before I got injured, like it's basically '06 again. My explosiveness, my jumping ability, my quickness -- it feels like I never got injured. I can see why he's out there doing what he's doing at his age.

SI.com: So where did you leave things with the Lakers after your workout?

Arenas: That was kind of weird, the situation. I was actually training in New York, and my agent, Dan Fegan, told me to come out and work out for the Lakers. My whole thing is, I don't want to play for anybody until I'm finished rehabbing and finished doing what I need to do, so that's not going to happen until at least All-Star break. So I decided, Well, I'll just go out there and work out.

SI.com: Was it just the Lakers or was anyone else watching?

Arenas: When you're in there getting buckets, you're not really paying attention to who's there. You're just doing your thing. To me, it didn't matter who it was -- could've been the D-League team or whatever. I'm just showing you what I have. You can either keep reading newspapers articles where they say I'm 40 pounds overweight and I lost a step -- all the fantasy stuff people want to talk about because they're going off my last year where I was basically mentally out of it. Or you can just see for yourself: This is what I am. A 6-foot-3 guard, 6-10 wingspan, still got his quickness, can still jump, still fast. I make shots, and that's what I am. I'm not here to sell anything, but look, here's what I am and then I'm going back home to my family.

SI.com: Mostly drill stuff?

Arenas: It was just mostly drills, and then creating shots off the dribble, attacking the basket. Some full-court stuff, which I was just straight winded -- whew! [laughs]. But I got up as fast as I can. I figured, Just show your speed. I don't think they really care about your wind right now. It was fun. You feel like a rookie again.

SI.com: Did you talk to Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak?

Arenas: Yeah, I talked to Mitch. We had a nice conversation. Can't tell you what it was about. But I have a basketball mind. I'm not some complete idiot. I do idiot things, but I'm not a complete idiot.

SI.com: You are obviously remembered by a lot of folks for what happened in the Wizards' locker room in 2009. How do you handle that?

Arenas: You've got to take the good with the bad. When you do something good, if it gets magnified, you're some Jesus. And then when you do something bad, you become Satan. But two years later, if you're still talking about a mistake I made, then something is really wrong with you. Like when you write an article, if you're going to bring up the gun thing, then bring up that I adopted somebody when his parents died in a fire. Put that in there, too.

I guess negative things sell, and we can tell because we've got these reality TV shows where everybody just beats themselves senseless and we just keep tuning in. That's where my iffiness comes back and the reason I stayed away so long, is like, "Do I even want to be a part of that anymore?"

I'm happy now. I'm a race-car driver.

SI.com: A race-car driver?

Arenas: I ride Shifter Karts, Go Karts. There's a place in Orlando -- Orlando Kart Center -- where I ride. I'm all right for a beginner. I went to California and went to this MB2 center [for indoor Kart racing], and out of 200,000 people I already broke down to a 1,000 in just six races, which isn't bad.

So I'm doing my thing, got a new profession, having a little fun. You know, this is the first time I've been able to enjoy life. I put so much time into basketball. It's kind of funny now how you read stuff. I remember before I was this gym rat who loved to play basketball, and all of a sudden I was [made out] to be [like] Shawn Kemp.

SI.com: You definitely sound like you're enjoying yourself.

Arenas: I think I'm seeing life how I saw it before I got famous, and that's hard to do sometimes. It's hard to break yourself back down. I'm loving life. I go fishing with my family. We take the kids to skate parks and skating rinks and golf course places. It's like, "Man, I haven't had this kind of fun in a long time." Basketball just took over my life and it's all I could think about.

Even right now, I sit on NBA TV and just watch everything. I watch the games, I watch who's who and who's doing what, who I think is going to be successful because of the style they play.

That's who I am, but I get to enjoy it again as a fan. That's why I say that as of right now, if I'm willing to go back into the NBA, then you know that it's just strictly basketball. And you know I'm giving you a product because I'm not on the outside looking in, in the sense that I'm just trying to come back because I need a paycheck. I still have my contract. So if I'm coming back, then that means I have something to offer basketball-wise.

SI.com: Are we definitely going to see you again, or is there part of you that's just testing the waters?

Arenas: I look at it like this: Everybody has to be on the same page of wanting me. Because it's like everyone wants to say, "Oh, well he's a locker-room cancer." Well, I've been in the NBA for 10 years, and I had one incident in a locker room and now I'm a locker-room cancer? I'd never got in an argument before, never got in a fistfight.

But if someone picks me up, I want them to be happy about it. I don't want them to be like, ''Oh, man, he's going to come in here and do this and that." That never works. If you don't want the person there, you shouldn't bring them in.

My ex-coach Phil Hubbard [former Wizards assistant] and Eric Musselman [Arenas' former coach with the Warriors] called me to come to the D-League [where they coach the Lakers' affiliate]. I said, "Well, after the All-Star break, once I'm ready to go, sure, I'll come play. I'll come out there and break all the D-Leaguer ankles."

It's basketball, man. You've just got to enjoy it.

SI.com: You used the word depressed. How down are we talking?

Arenas: When I came back [in the 2010-11 season after being suspended for the final 50 games of 2009-10], I just didn't want to be around people. And that's why I grew the beard. I don't need you to see me no more. I'm gone. I don't want to be here.

You know how when you think someone is talking about you, and you try to go in with high spirits when you start off, but as soon as one bad thing happens you revert? Once I got to Orlando, I got my spirit back. I was around some people who like me and we're on an eight-game winning streak and then all of a sudden I get my playing time cut and then from there I just lost it. I couldn't think anymore. Every shot, I thought about shooting -- just like [the Magic] players playing now. They're not losing their game -- Jameer Nelson, Jason Richardson, they're not losing their games. They're just going through so much pressure now with the Dwight [Howard trade situation].

I tried so hard to fit in and let people know, "Yo, that [Wizards incident] was not me. The things people are saying about me is not me. That's not who I really am." I made a mistake, and I was tying so hard to fit in with everybody that I couldn't play the right way.

There was a point where I don't even think I talked to the media the last two months. I just took my showers and just went home. And then when I went home, I basically never left the house. I was just in denial.

I remember I was at Dwight's barbecue, and I'm hearing him on the microphone and I'm just watching him and I'm sitting in a corner trying to hide from fans -- it was so sad -- and didn't want to be around people anymore. I'm looking at [Dwight] like, "Man, that used to be me. I used to be the life of the party." And he's just in there enjoying himself, saying, "Everybody, let's dance" and this and this. And that kind of got my spirit back up, like, "What the hell am I over here sulking for, like a little girl?"

Then a reporter said, "Look, just bring Agent Zero's spirit back. Get a Twitter, say your funny jokes, get yourself back. Because right now, man, it's not just that you lost your game -- you're mentally gone. Get your mentality back. Get the cockiness back. Get the rudeness back."

It all plays a part, so that's when I created my Twitter.

SI.com: Doesn't that contradict what you were saying before about getting away from Agent Zero?

Arenas: No, just the spirit. Not the person. Just the spirit, the outgoingness of people. The thing is, man, you know I can't sit in groups of people anymore.

SI.com: Why?

Arenas: I don't know, because I don't know what people are thinking. So instead of just sitting there and feeling awkward, I just go to my room, go into the hotel. Like now, I work out with earphones on. I just realized how bad it was. That's why Otis said, "Yo, get yourself back together. You're like a spark plug. You make people laugh. You make people smile. And if you can't make people smile and laugh, you can't make yourself smile and laugh."

SI.com: Is that part of it getting any better for you? That's a rough way to go through your days.

Arenas: You know, so much happened so fast, and I never got to think about it. I get injured, I get injured, I get injured ... and then my coach gets fired [Wizards coach Eddie Jordan was fired after the team's 1-10 start in 2008-09], my owner [the late Abe Pollin] died [on Nov. 24, 2009] -- he was my dad away from home -- and then the gun incident and the media and all that stuff. I get back [to the team], I get traded and then me and my girlfriend [Laura Govan], we're going through it, and then she puts me on blast, so it was just so much. My mom [who abandoned him when he was 3 before he was raised by his father, Gilbert Sr.] died during all that, and I didn't even get to reconcile with her to say I forgive her and all that stuff. I had so much in there and I didn't have time to really think about anything.

SI.com: It's all heavy stuff. Did you ever talk to a therapist about any of this?

Arenas: A therapist? I just watched Dexter and The Sopranos [laughs]. If Tony Soprano goes to the therapist, then I just use that. That's it. I just watch TV, try to keep a good spirit, and that's how I've always been.

SI.com: Hadn't you met your mom only once?

Arenas: Yeah, because she left me when I was 3. I got to meet her my first year in the NBA, and then I never got to talk to her, sit down with her. I know her whole thing was, "Does he know I'm sorry for [leaving]?" And I didn't get to say, "I forgive you, don't worry about it." You know, I grew up to be a good man. I might have my issues like every other person, but other than that I have a good heart, a good spirit and I didn't get to sit down with her.

SI.com: How's your dad doing?

Arenas: He's good. He's watching high school basketball [in Los Angeles] and high school football. He likes to see young talent. That's his thing.

SI.com: You going to head his way with the Lakers, you think, or will you go somewhere else?

Arenas: I remember reading an article saying [the Lakers] was my dream team -- like three teams: Lakers, Miami, New York. And I was like, "Well, I'm flattered, but I've got to get myself right first." I didn't like what I did last year. I watched those games and I didn't have any soul. I didn't play with a purpose. So I took this summer and basically went back into the lab, got my body right, got my weight down, lost 20-something pounds, watched film. Just got the love of the game back. That's never going to leave. I just love the game of basketball.

SI.com: Where are you at with your weight?

Arenas: I played at 222 [pounds] in my good years, and I'm 208, 210 right now. Last year, last game of the playoffs, I was 232. It was good food, man. I read something that was like, "Well, he was out of shape this year." And I'm like, "Well, technically, I came to you guys at 214, but all that good food and sitting on that bench just gets you fat."

SI.com: You talk about being so uncomfortable. But I remember seeing you last year and you were having a good time with the guys in the locker room. Were you just hiding it?

Arenas: You know how you put on a mask? And how when you're not around people you get to be yourself? I'm in the locker room, and I get to be myself. People don't realize NBA players are around their teammates more than their family, so you get to be around everybody, joking, telling your stories and you get to have fun. But as soon as the lights came on, I looked at it like, "These are the wolves. I've got to go perform. I've got to try hard so they don't boo me. I've got to try hard so they don't think I'm a bad guy, I've got to make the shot. If I miss the shot, I'm going to get put on the bench."

I just didn't know what the hell was going on with me. Mentally, I was just distraught.

SI.com: I don't remember you ever talking about that day in the Wizards' locker room. Can you go into it?

Arenas: I've never talked about it, and I felt like this: The reason I never talked about it was because if [the media] couldn't do your own research to find out the truth, then why should I do it for you? It was like, "If you don't care, I don't care."

OK, I owed my teammate [Javaris Crittenton] money and I pulled a gun on him? OK, does that even make sense, like I owed you money but I'm pulling a gun on you?

When somebody writes an article, it can be 10 percent right and 90 percent wrong, but if they write it, it's going to be 100 percent right. And the more you try to explain it, the more you look like you're lying.

If I did everything they said I did in that locker room, how come they never tried to void my contract? That's the only way I can explain it. Not even attempted [to void the contract]. Not even talked about attempting it. That's actual facts. I'm not making that up.

SI.com: Do people ever just bring it up on the street when you're out and about? How often are you hit with it?

Arenas: No. People come up to me and have a conversation with me, especially at the YMCA, where I do spin class in the mornings. You have people who want to talk to you to see what kind of person you are, and then you have people saying, "Oh, you don't seem like what they made you out to be."

Before that incident, I was the people's champion, God's gift to all fans, gave fans everything. If I never go back to the NBA, I had a great career. I've hit big shots. I've had my moments. Hey, everyone can't win a championship, but I had fun. I got to play the game that I always dreamed of, and I did it more than I expected it. That's how I look at it now.

SI.com: So what's next? Where are you going to play?

Arenas: All I know is I've got a Daddy-Son Donut Day on the 24th. You go to the school, and you have donuts. That's what I'm looking forward to.

Gilbert Arenas spoke with SI.com recently about everything from the ill-fated gun incident in 2009 to his recent workout with the Lakers to his hope for the future.

But in the candid 90-minute interview, he also opened up about his relationships with others in the league, how he advises former teammate Dwight Howard and new Knicks sensation Jeremy Lin, and why he shut down his infamous Twitter account.

On his relationship with potential 2012 free agent Dwight Howard, who has sought a trade from Orlando ...

"[I talk to Dwight] every day. I've got a rotation. I talk to Dwight every day, Jameer [Nelson] every day. I talk to Jeremy Lin at least once a week. I talk to John Wall about once a week, and Andray Blatche, Nick Young and JaVale [McGee] every other day.

"I worked out with [Dwight] this whole summer. I was going back and forth with him and Jameer because I wanted to work out with the leaders of the [Magic] team. Once you get their approval, they see you working, and they can speak up for you. I think that's why Dwight was kind of upset at the beginning when I got amnestied because he'd seen me work and saw what I was looking like. But like I told Dwight, business-wise, I had to get amnestied, and then mentally -- to help my career out, to better myself -- I had to get amnestied because I still wasn't right.

"With Dwight, I just told him the grass isn't greener on the other side. If you love Orlando, you stay in Orlando. If you want to be somewhere else, then that's your choice, but make the choice yourself and don't let anybody else pull you for their own reasons. You've got to sit down and look yourself in the mirror every day. You're a young man, and at some point you will win championships. You're too dominant not to win one. But at the end of the day, you've got to do it on your own, to think about it on your own. Don't let anybody else tell you where you need to go.

"I get the same Dwight response: 'I hear you, dawg.' [Laughs] I don't want to say we talk about it, but we have a good line of communication. He always runs scenarios by me, asks me if I watched the game, what does he see out there, and I just give him my advice. Sometimes I'll tell him [he needs] to make the game easier on some of the other players, and when I'd seen Jameer struggling, I said, 'Yo, you've got to talk to him. He's your best friend. Forget teammate -- he's your best friend. You've got to talk to him.' ... I said, 'When your best friend is hearing that you want to go play with somebody else, you start thinking, Man, I've got to prove to him that I'm worth him staying.' Because at the end of the day, they have the most pressure on them because if they don't get the job done, then everybody is looking at them like, 'You didn't keep Dwight Howard.'

"I [told Dwight], 'If you're leaving or you're not leaving, you've got to keep that locker room together. You guys have got to be a family still, because at the end of the day these are the people you fight with, you battle with.' I check up on him after certain games and make sure the spirit is still high, tell him just stay focused and keep trying to dominate.

"To be honest, I have no idea [if Dwight will stay], because like any big decision you're going to go back and forth every day. Like I tried to tell him, it's going to be hard to just go out there and play basketball."

On advising Howard while also being close to Magic general manager Otis Smith ...

"I talk to Otis, ask him what's going on, how's this, what's this? I run things by him. We talk because I have a basketball mind.

"This [Howard situation] has been coming for a long time. Now you're stuck between a LeBron James decision or a Carmelo [Anthony] decision. At the end of the day, you don't want to be in that predicament. Let him walk, and you're going to get killed [by the fans and media]. You trade him, you're going to get killed. It's hard because you're friends with one, have the mentor there, but I try to keep them both separate."

On whether he's waiting around to see what happens with Howard before coming back ...

"We talked about [playing together]. You're reading on one [story] that Dwight is going to leave because he brought players like Gilbert and this and this, and then on the flip side it's like, 'Do y'all know that we're friends and we want to play with each other?' He told me, 'I want you to play with me,' and then when I got amnestied he was like, 'You can't play here anymore?' I said, 'No, technically I can. All I do is just miss this season and then I can come back next season.' Then he was saying all the other teams that he decided he was going to go to, and will I come there? I said, 'Of course. If you want me to play, I'll come with you.'

"What do you do when somebody dominant like him wants to play with you? He still believes in me."

On the scrutiny Smith has received for some of his moves, including trading for Arenas last season ...

"In the NBA, there are reality moves and fantasy moves. Reality moves, only a couple teams do reality moves -- New York, Dallas, the Lakers, Cleveland when LeBron was there, Orlando. When I say reality moves, I mean they tried to make their team better. You're going to [expletive] up sometimes, make bad decisions, make bad trades.

"Cleveland, when LeBron was there, they wanted to win a championship so bad they kept trading that team. Same thing with Dallas. You keep tweaking your team. I call those aggressive moves. They know they've got to keep tweaking it until they get it right. I'm not mad at those.

"I'm mad at the fantasy ones. You can tell it's fantasy ones when you hear stuff like this: 'We're in a rebuilding process. We're going to develop our young players.' You know, when you hear teams say that, as fans, you should basically just go and sit on your couch and get that [NBA League Pass]. Because all that means is they suck but the people don't want to say it and they're going to be sorry for a couple of years, so they want you to keep spending the money and hopefully they can try to get themselves out of it but probably won't because most of the teams who are rebuilding always stay in rebuilding mode."

On the Thunder ...

"One team right now that I see is going to have a problem is the Thunder. Every young team [uses] the Thunder [as an example]: 'Look the Thunder did this, and this is how we're going to go.' But at the end of the day, if you have a whole bunch of young players and they all play well and they become successful, that means you've got to pay them all. And if you have to pay them all, you won't be able to afford them all and basically you're going to have to break up your team a little bit."

On why securing extensions for Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook isn't enough for Oklahoma City ...

"You've still got James Harden [who will be eligible for an extension after the season], who is, to me, the second-most-important player on the team. Russell is athletic. He's that Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, that JaVale McGee type, that John Wall, that raw talent. They just have raw talent that is going to make them good. And when they learn the game of basketball, that's when they're going to become great basketball players. Rose is understanding the game a lot. He's developed a lot, but the other ones are still in the midst of finding out who they are and going off of raw, natural talent.

"But James Harden, he has the basketball mind already. He can get his shot off any time he wants, he doesn't force many shots, and if he plays 40 minutes he'll be one of the top scorers in the league and an All-Star. If he comes off the bench, it makes it hard to make that case. So his value is higher in my mind than they can afford.

"[Durant] is, hands down, the No. 1 scorer. The No. 2 option, for me, is Harden. Your No. 3 option is the point guard, but he becomes the No. 1 and 2 and 3 option because he always has the ball. And when you're stronger and bigger than everybody, you're going to have opportunities. So when people say he [Westbrook] needs to stop shooting, I get frustrated. If I'm a coach or general manager, I would never tell that kid to stop shooting, because as long as he's aggressive, Kevin Durant will be dominant. You talk about Russell as a ball-hog, but how is he a ball-hog if Kevin Durant is still leading the league in scoring?

"If this point guard/hybrid -- whatever you want to call him -- is jumping at the rim and blowing past every guard, you have to always focus on him because you don't know what he's going to do. And as long as you're focusing on him, Kevin Durant gets to play the basketball he gets to play, and that's what makes it good."

On Twitter ...

"See, the problem with Twitter is -- especially athletes tweeting in today's society -- they're tweeting fantasy stuff. And when I say fantasy stuff, they're tweets are, 'Oh, we had a good game.' 'Oh, tough loss.' 'Oh, hard day of practice today.' 'All right, tweet fam,' this and that.

"As fans, you get this illusion that that's how these people act. And then when they get upset, and they write some reality stuff, it's [people saying], 'Listen to these rants.' No, that's how he actually feels. The 52 'I love you's and 'Miss you's and 'Talk to you guys later's -- that's the crap. That's the crap they're feeding you, so when you have somebody like myself that goes on Twitter ...

"I don't use Twitter to tell you I'm going to the mall. I'm an entertainer. I'm going in there just to entertain, to ruffle some feathers, to let some of these jokes out and see what kind of response there is. But people got this sense of, 'Well, you're bashing women.' No, I'm not bashing women. I'm telling you what men are thinking, what men are actually thinking about, and you guys are getting mad at me.

"On Twitter, I'm just saying real stuff and making it funny. Story-wise, none of the stories were real. Like the infamous date, where everyone went so crazy and bashed me for, all the women. I was sitting on the couch and I just made the story up. The funny thing is, people who know me are reading me like, 'I know you're not on a date.' And I was like, 'Yeah, I'm not going to put my stuff out in public like that.'

"I don't go out. I'm not going to sit there and tweet with a girl, but the thought of having a live tweet out there was what I wanted to do. Make it seem real. Make it believable. You've got to remember, as long as you write it, then people will believe it. That's the sad part."

On why he shut down his Twitter account ...

"Because I was done. What I wanted to do is, I was giving out my shoes because I knew my fate after the lockout. I didn't need the shoes anymore, so I was giving them away. And while I'm giving them away, I'm going to make you listen to my jokes. So you're forced to listen to my jokes, and hear me say anything that pops up in my mind, which most of the time I'd written down anyway. And you get the shoes. You don't have to pay for it. You just have to put up with my ignorance or whatever. It was all just fun. My tweets were deeper than what people wanted to believe. There was always subliminal stuff inside my stuff."

On his friendship with Jeremy Lin ...

"[Lin] was a Warriors fan during the Agent Zero days. Then this summer, when I went to play in the All-Warriors game, he was on the opposing side and he got a couple shots off, but I hit like five threes -- almost from half-court -- straight on him, and that's what he was laughing about. When we talked today, I was like, 'Man, that shot you hit on [Pau] Gasol, where you just looked him down, and then hit it -- that's the shot right there." He said, 'Wait a minute, you did that shot to me five times.' I'm just so happy that he's getting an opportunity to play. I just tell him the more success you have, the more you work. Just keep working.

"He's a great kid. He wants to get better."

On the advice he has given Lin ...

"When you watch tape, never watch your guy -- the guy you're sticking with. The guy that's sticking you is basically nonexistent. You look at the defenders behind him. How good are they? How good they are lets you know the kind of night you're going to have. Now, if you've got somebody like [Anderson] Varejao, who's going to block shots and take charges and all that, you need to know you just can't drive the lane. You might have to pull up, stay on the side and use the jumper. Or if you have a guy who likes to leave his feet a lot, you'll have a great night at the free-throw line. Look at those guys. Don't look at your guy, because in the NBA you can beat your guy any time you want because you can't touch nobody in the NBA anymore."

On the similarities between them as players ...

"It's not like he's gotten better overnight. What he's doing right now is not an overnight talent. He knows how to play. But at that point [when he was cut] at Golden State they already had players who played [point guard] and he just didn't get his shot. Same thing in [Houston] -- they already had players and wouldn't give him his shot and he finally got his shot and he's doing what he's doing with it. It's basically the style, the same way I started my career. I sat on the bench for 40-something games [with the Warriors as a rookie], got put in and I played well and never looked back. If you have a coach who believes in you, you're going to believe in yourself.

"For a guy who wasn't that athletic, I don't have a 40-inch vertical. It's all my instincts, my basketball mind and my ability to make shots. I talk to [Lin] a lot, and just tell him, 'Just keep attacking, use your body, use your strength, use your deception.' He's not an athletic guy. He doesn't have a 40-inch vertical. He's not the fastest thing moving out there. But when you have size over most of the people you're playing against, you can shoot very well. You can use your strength. You can get in your lane.

"You don't have to be a rocket scientist to be great at basketball. You just have to understand the game of basketball. You can be athletic and still kill, but the great ones have the mindset. They understand everything about the game."
            sigpic

"The last time I was intimidated was when I was 6 years old in karate class. I was an orange belt and the instructor ordered me to fight a black belt who was a couple years older and a lot bigger. I was scared s---less. I mean, I was terrified and he kicked my ass. But then I realized he didn’t kick my ass as bad as I thought he was going to and that there was nothing really to be afraid of. That was around the time I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind." - Kobe Bryant

Comment

• GM responds to Kobe Bryant rant

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant called out team management Sunday, stating a decision needed to be made regarding the future of forward Pau Gasol. The Lakers responded in turn Monday, just not in the manner Bryant wanted.

The Lakers released a statement by general manager Mitch Kupchak prior to the Lakers' game against the Portland Trail Blazers.

"As general manager of the Lakers, I have a responsibility to ownership, our fans and the players on this team to actively pursue opportunities to improve the team for this season and seasons to come," Kupchak said in the statement. "To say publicly that we would not do this would serve no purpose and put us at a competitive disadvantage. Taking such a course of action at this time would be a disservice to ownership, the team and our many fans."
              Bryant came to Gasol's defense following the Lakers' 102-90 road loss to the Phoenix Suns on Sunday, saying the four-time All-Star could not be expected to be fully invested in the season with all the trade speculation attached to his name.

"It's just tough for a player to give his all when you don't know if you're going to be here tomorrow," Bryant said. "I'd rather them not trade him at all. If they're going to do something, I wish they would just [expletive] do it. If they're not going to do it, come out and say you're not going to do it."

Gasol wasn't totally surprised Bryant spoke out.

"He told me a little bit. I didn't know he was going to do it at that particular point and to the media," Gasol said after scoring 16 points and grabbing 12 rebounds as the Lakers beat the Blazers 103-92 on Monday night. "But he told me that it had to be tough to deal with it. I think it's more so the rest of the guys, too. You keep hearing stuff, and we don't want any distractions. We don't need any distractions. We just try to do the best we can, but he did talk to me a little bit about it beforehand."

Kupchak did express empathy with Gasol's situation, despite not taking any clear stance on Gasol's security in L.A. or even addressing Gasol by name.

"As a former player, I understand how the days leading up to the trade deadline can be nerve-wracking for an NBA player,"
              Kupchak said in the statement.

The NBA trade deadline is March 15, about three weeks away.

"It's important to know that guys in the locker room are going to support you and guys are going to step up. That's my role here," Kobe said after Monday's game. "[Gasol] can't say that. You guys know Pau. He's a nice guy. He would never, ever say anything to kind of shuffle the deck, so to speak. But I will, and I'll say it for him."

Said Gasol:
              "I'm glad he showed his support for me, to be sure. We just need to make sure we're together on this, and we need everybody to be on the same page. We'd all like the peace of mind that we're not going to be moved, but we can't guarantee that."
              Lakers coach Mike Brown said he was not going to get involved.

"I don't plan on going to talk to [Bryant], and I have not gone and talked to him ... I just coach the team," Brown said before the Blazers game. "There's nothing more for me to do. I think that discussion is done between Mitch and Kobe. ...

"It's not for me to touch. You know what, if I was a coach or GM, yes, it would be for me to touch. But this is not for me to touch."

Brown also was not planning to address the situation with Gasol, who entered Monday averaging a career-low 16.6 points per game this season on 49.6 percent shooting after averaging 18.8 points on 52.9 percent shooting a year ago, and said he doesn't believe the comments made by Bryant or the uncertainty surrounding Gasol will be a distraction to the team.

"It's something that people go through all the time in this business, whether you're talking about trades or somebody getting fired or somebody retiring or whatever," Brown said. "There's a lot of speculation that goes on in this business, because it's a high-profile business. So, you expect it, but it can affect an individual."

Brown admitted Gasol isn't immune to the trade speculation. "To a certain degree I think it bothers him, but I have not sat down and asked him if it bothers him or not," Brown said.

But the coach also said that however bothered Gasol might be hasn't resulted in a drop-off in performance. "In my opinion, is it impacting his play? I don't think so," Brown said. "I don't think it is. Now, just because I don't think it is, it doesn't mean that it's not."

Brown added: "I don't see him walking around moping or anything like that."

Brown said Gasol's decrease in offensive output could be attributed to Andrew Bynum's improvement. Bynum entered Monday averaging 16.3 points per game this season, up from 11.3 points per game last season.

"I know one thing, there's a [surge] from Andrew Bynum that wasn't there in the past, so Pau does not get the same amount of touches on the post that he has in the past because Andrew takes some of those away," Brown said.

Metta World Peace also defended Gasol's play.

"Pau's playing good team basketball," World Peace said. "He's playing well. He's not getting a lot of touches like he did in the past because that's because Drew's gotten better. ... I think Pau is doing well. I see through all those stats. He's doing well."
              Even with this round of public sparring, the Lakers have won eight of 12 since late January.

Although Bryant might be bothered by the Lakers' machinations, he was angry in previous years when the Lakers didn't make trades to improve the club, even demanding a trade himself in 2007. A few months later, the Lakers acquired Gasol and immediately made a run to three straight NBA Finals and back-to-back league titles.

World Peace is no stranger to displeasure about trade rumors. Back when he was Ron Artest, he sparred with the Indiana Pacers' management over rumors about his eventual departure to Sacramento.

"You can't really question [Kupchak] because he's looking out for the Lakers and he does a great job," World Peace said. "That's his job, and we're supposed to go play."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...rant-pau-gasol

Brajkula, 2014. N.E

Comment

• Greg Oden has microfracture surgery

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Greg Oden has suffered yet another setback with his troublesome knees.

The often-injured 7-foot center was undergoing a minor procedure Monday to clear out debris in his left knee in Vail, Colo., when the surgeon determined there was additional damage and performed microfracture surgery, the Portland Trail Blazers said.

The former No. 1 pick in the 2007 NBA draft has now had two microfracture surgeries on his left knee, and one on his right. He has also undergone surgery for a fractured left kneecap.

The Blazers say Oden will not play this season.

Nate McMillan on Greg Oden's surgery
                I'm sure he's saying, 'Why Me?' Sometimes in life, things like that happen, and you wonder why it's happening to you.
                "It's hard to put into words the heartbreak for everyone involved, but especially for Greg. He's a young man who has experienced a great number of physical challenges in his playing career and today is yet another significant setback for him," Trail Blazers president Larry Miller said in a prepared statement. "We have a lot of empathy for Greg and his family during this difficult time."

Oden, who has not played in an NBA game since Dec. 5, 2009, has appeared in 82 career games for the Blazers, averaging 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds.

It was expected that he might be able to play this season, but a checkup before the start of training camp in December reportedly revealed concerns about a non-weight-bearing ligament in the left knee, further setting back his rehabilitation.

Oden was a restricted free agent heading into this season. The Blazers and Oden initially agreed to an $8.9 million qualifying offer for this year, but when the setback was announced the two sides restructured the deal, which was dropped to $1.5 million. He will become an unrestricted free agent following this season.

Oden has turned down several interview requests this season.

Shortly after the news about the latest surgery broke, Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge posted on Twitter: "Praying for my bro G.O. get better!"

The Blazers were in Los Angeles on Monday night for a game against the Lakers.

"I'm sure he's saying, 'Why Me?' Sometimes in life, things like that happen, and you wonder why it's happening to you," coach Nate McMillan said about Oden before the game. "Some of these injuries have occurred, not only on the floor but off the floor. There's really not an explanation for why, or sometimes how they're happening. I'm sure it's been a frustrating start for him."
                Portland's acting general manager Chad Buchanan told reporters that the team knew there was the possibility of an additional microfracture surgery when he went in for the procedure. The doctor found two defects, he said.

Buchanan was asked whether the latest surgery might mean the end of Oden's career.

"Greg's still very young, in relative terms, for a professional basketball player. He's recovered from a couple of these before -- his last two microfracture lesions have healed fine," Buchanan said. "So there's no reason to think he couldn't come back as long as he shows the work ethic and desire that he's had in the past to come back. I think it's premature to speculate anything beyond that."
                The former Ohio State star was selected over Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant with the top pick in the 2007 draft. Debates raged over who should be the No. 1 selection, and the Blazers eventually went with Oden in the hope that he would lead the team -- along with Brandon Roy and Aldridge -- to an NBA championship.

But Oden's rookie season was postponed when he required microfracture surgery on his right knee that forced him to miss the 2007-08 season.

"We definitely feel bad for him and we definitely want him to get better,"
                Aldridge said Monday night.
                "I think everybody's praying for him, hoping he comes back from this healthy and strong. Just sad for him that he keeps going through the wire like that."
                Oden's repeated knee problems have drawn comparisons to Sam Bowie, the injury-plagued big man the Blazers selected ahead of Michael Jordan in the 1984 draft. While Bowie played in 76 games his rookie season, averaging 10 points and 8.6 rebounds, he appeared in just 63 games over the next four seasons because of injuries. He missed the entire 1987-88 season. In all, he had five operations.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/75...-microfracture

Brajkula, 2014. N.E

Comment

• Here's an idea: Rajon for Deron
                  Could the Celtics lure the Nets point guard -- and get Dwight Howard's attention too?

The Celtics lost out in their push for Chris Paul. Is it time to re-cast the net down to New Jersey for Deron Williams?

The clock is ticking for the Nets' estimable point guard, who dropped 38 on the Knicks on Monday night. He has a chance to opt out of his contract at the end of the season, which everyone expects him to do. The conventional wisdom has him ticketed for Dallas.

Most of the talk about the Nets' future has centered on their desire to get Dwight Howard, who would team with Williams as a formidable 1-2 punch as the franchise moves to Brooklyn. There has been less said about the future of the player the Nets already have.

One person in the Nets organization who is not directly connected to negotiations with Williams offered his opinion on the star's intentions, saying he doesn't think there's any chance the guard stays with New Jersey. He also thought the team would be wise to come to grips with that and trade him before the March 15 deadline.

If Williams is available, and you're the Celtics, don't you dust off the Chris Paul trade folder and go hard for him? You'd have to part with Rajon Rondo and someone else (Jermaine O'Neal fits neatly from a cap standpoint) to get the deal done. But it's worth it if you're the Celtics.

Here are a few points to ponder, with the caveat that all bets are off if New Jersey somehow manages to pry Howard away in the next few weeks:

Would the Nets even go for a deal? Williams hasn't given any indication he will be a Net till his last dying day (apologies to Stephen Sondheim). He's sort of biding his time to see if Howard is coming north. But if this scenario is still in play on March 15, don't you have to trade him if you're the Nets?

New Jersey gave up a boatload to get Williams (Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and two first-rounders) and would look foolish to let him leave and get nothing back. The Nets would look even worse if they said they'd recoup the loss in free agency, given their underwhelming performance in the summer of 2010, when they had all this money and ended up with the since-amnestied Travis Outlaw.

If it gets to the Ides of March and Howard is not in New Jersey, there are sure to be many trade offers flowing for Williams. In Rondo, the Nets would be getting an All-Star-caliber point guard who is two years younger than Williams and who has three years left on his contract. Yes, he can be high maintenance (see this past Sunday and the resulting two-game suspension), but he's still one of the top point guards in the league. O'Neal's contract would come off the books at the end of the season. The Nets might not be able to say they got 100 cents on the dollar, but they could say they got 80-90 cents back and thus save some face.

Would the Celtics be able to sell Boston over Dallas? It has been widely presumed that the Mavericks have had Williams (and Howard) in their crosshairs since owner Mark Cuban allowed a number of key players to leave from last season's title team. In not re-signing Tyson Chandler, JJ Barea, DeShawn Stevenson and Caron Butler, the Mavericks will have cap room this summer.

But will they have enough to sign Williams and Howard to max deals? Right now, the answer is no. They have committed more than $41 million to five players for 2012-13 and it's going to take probably $30 million or more to sign both players out of free agency. The cap was at $58.044 million this season.

Cuban has a reputation for taking care of his players, but so do the Celtics. Dallas has Dirk Nowitzki. Boston has Paul Pierce. Dallas has weather. Boston has tradition. Both teams could argue that they'd bring back key guys for less money going forward; Ray Allen and maybe Kevin Garnett for Boston and Jason Terry and possibly Jason Kidd for Dallas. As far as the money is concerned -- and that's always big -- Williams could get more if he re-signed with his own team rather than in free agency. The same applies to Howard. That would be a selling point for Boston (or any team trying to acquire him). The Celtics would then be able to go to Howard with an open checkbook next summer because they would have about $36 million to $38 million committed in salaries. Could they persuade Howard to play with Williams, Pierce, perhaps Jeff Green and who knows who else?

The Celtics cannot make the deal without getting a guarantee going forward from Williams. They'd be crazy to surrender Rondo only to see Williams walk. They made sure Garnett signed an extension before agreeing to acquire him and they'd have to do the same with Williams. As would any team.

Would Howard want Boston? Trying to get a read on what Howard is thinking is like trying to get through "The Sound and the Fury." And with no Spark Notes. Orlando is in the same position as New Jersey regarding holding on to Howard vs. trading him. At the end of the day, would the Magic deal him to L.A.? Somewhere else? Take their chances in re-signing him? Howard would be a rather large "second shoe to drop" if he made it clear he wants to play with Williams.

Would Williams want to go home? Williams also is presumed to be interested in Dallas because he's from the area. He went to high school in The Colony, a Dallas suburb, which is also home to Pizza Hut's national headquarters. While going home can be problematic (see Stephon Marbury, Kenny Anderson), it is supposedly a major lure for Williams. With Kidd's deal expiring, Williams would seem to be a seamless fit at the point guard position.

But he'd be a good fit for the Celtics, too. Why not Boston? Just asking.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/...ms-rajon-rondo

Comment

• Magic Johnson talks Lakers issues

Players meetings are fine, but Magic Johnson thinks the Los Angeles Lakers need Kobe Bryant to sit down with management to address some issues.

Bryant and general manager Mitch Kupchak have been exchanging barbs in the media recently. Bryant said that the Lakers either need to trade Pau Gasol or say they're keeping him, and Kupchak said that the team would keep its options open.

Johnson thinks Kobe is missing the point concerning the GM, that he needs to speak to Jim Buss, who is the Lakers' vice president of player personnel and also the son of Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss.

"We have to remember now, it's not Mitch's situation anymore," Johnson told reporters on a conference call Tuesday promoting his upcoming ESPN film, "The Announcement," on Wednesday.

"[Kupchak is] not running the team," Johnson said. "Jim Buss is running the team. So, Mitch has to follow the direction of Jim Buss and what he wants. I wouldn't say Mitch is the problem or anything. He's going to do his job.

"… I think what Kobe really probably wants is just be informed. As a leader, as a future Hall of Famer, as a guy who has brought five championships to the Lakers and the fans of Los Angeles, he just wants to probably have more communication, probably like he did when Phil Jackson was there and he worked well with Mitch. I don't think that Kobe feels he's got that type of relationship or the communication has been there with Jim."

"So, I think what has to probably happen is sit Kobe down [and] Jim, sit him down [too] and say, 'Hey, Dr. Buss was the master at taking you to lunch or taking you to dinner and really going over what he thought about, or what he was thinking and what he wanted to do with the team and Jerry West was great at that as well.' Kobe, Mitch and Jim just got to get on the same page and it will be OK."

When Bryant was informed at shootaround about Johnson's suggestion for a sitdown between him and Jim Buss he offered only a one-word response -- "perhaps."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...medium=twitter

Comment

• Kings' arena 'work plan' in place

Sacramento's last shot to remain an NBA city appears headed for another overtime.

NBA commissioner David Stern and Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson announced a joint work plan Wednesday for the two sides to reach an agreement to finance a new arena by the March 1 deadline. Johnson, Stern and the Maloof family, which owns the Sacramento Kings, will meet during this weekend's All-Star festivities in Orlando, Fla.

If the final details are resolved in time, a term sheet will be announced March 1 and the Sacramento City Council will vote on the plan at its March 6 meeting, possibly avoiding the relocation talk that surrounded the team last spring when it almost moved to Anaheim.

Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson

Sacramento stands ready to meet the March 1 deadline. Our approach makes good on the principles that have guided us throughout this process: protecting the taxpayers, creating jobs, and pursuing an open and transparent process.
                      "I feel very confident that we as a city are going to be able to do our part,"
                      Johnson said at a late afternoon news conference at City Hall with six council members standing behind him.
                      "The city controls its own destiny.
                      The major sticking point in negotiations remains how much the Kings will contribute.

Under the proposed agreement, the city of Sacramento will raise about $190-$230 million by leasing out parking garages to private investors, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press. The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to disclose the information, said another $75-$100 million is expected from the Kings and $40-$60 million from arena operator AEG.

The remaining gap will be covered by some combination of a ticket surcharge, advertising around the arena, allocating a portion of the city's existing transient occupancy tax or a sale of three or four parcels of city land.

The final price tag for AEG depends largely on the team's contribution.

The Kings' portion would include upfront cash -- the city had initially asked for $60 million -- and donating back the land around the franchise's current suburban Sacramento arena, estimated at about $25 million. AEG's contribution will be impacted by the splits with the team in arena-related revenue.

Johnson and Stern still have some disagreement on how much, if any, of AEG's portion is included in the Kings' contribution. Major points for the city also include making sure rates don't soar if the garages and street parking are sold to private investors, and getting Sacramento County's agreement to use a parking garage near the arena site.

The two sides are making progress and hope to bridge the gap to finance the estimated $406 million arena, which would open for the 2015-16 season in the downtown Sacramento rail yards. The Kings nearly moved south to Anaheim last year, twice extending the relocation deadline and struggling to gain approval from league owners.

Johnson made a desperate pitch to the NBA Board of Governors last April to give the city a final chance to come up with an arena plan. He also bought time by presenting more than $10 million in commitments for new advertising, ticket purchases and other financial support from regional businesses for this season.

Despite attempts by Anaheim and Seattle to swoop in and lure the Kings, Stern said the league is making every attempt to keep the franchise in California's capital.

"We appreciate the work of the city of Sacramento and (our) discussions have been constructive," Stern said in a statement. "Our hope is that current momentum continues in a way that we're able to reach a deal by March 1 that makes sense for all parties."
                      Johnson described the discussions as having "great momentum," but disagreed with Stern on a key point: the portion of the arena cost that should be counted as coming from the Maloofs. Stern said in a TNT interview Tuesday that contributions from arena operator AEG should be included as part of the Maloofs' share, but Johnson was adamant that the city hired AEG and the Maloofs' contribution should be considered separately.

"This is where a feisty point guard and the commissioner get into a little bit of a spirited discussion," said Johnson, a former All-Star with the Phoenix Suns. He said he last talked to Stern after the city council meeting Tuesday night.

Word of the extended arena talks also reached the Kings before the team's game at the Washington Wizards on Wednesday night.

"It's good for the team and the city, the positive news of today,"
                      Kings coach Keith Smart said. "But for the basketball players, their focus is on the game."

Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof haven't been involved in negotiations. The league is bargaining with Sacramento officials on the franchise's behalf and will present the final proposal to the team.

Joel Litvin, president of league operations, and Harvey Benjamin, executive counsel for business and finance, are the NBA's lead negotiators. Stern also has been receiving updates.

The NBA could force the Maloofs into bringing in investment partners or -- as a last resort -- even sell the team if the owners walk away from a plan that has the league's approval.

Southern California billionaire Ron Burkle remains interested in buying the Kings. And Christopher Hansen, a hedge-fund manager based in San Francisco and a Seattle native, is also making proposals to bring an NBA team to Seattle -- with eyes on the Kings if Sacramento's latest plan collapses.

The Maloofs insist they're not selling the team. A Kings spokesman said the team is refraining from comment until the NBA and the city complete a proposed plan.

At the very least, the latest development shows progress. A year ago, Sacramento "needed to sink a full court shot" to keep the Kings from relocating to Anaheim, Johnson said.

"Now I think we're on the free throw line," he said. "Shaquille O'Neal is not shooting the free throws for us. We could go with Steve Nash."

Asked about his own shooting percentage, Johnson joked, "I could sink two if I had to."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/76...financing-deal

Brajkula, 2014. N.E

Comment

• Derrick Rose likes team he has

CHICAGO -- Derrick Rose's back is letting him play basketball again, and he said that despite reports, he's not looking to add any general manager responsibilities to his on-court workload.

Rose denied a report that claimed he asked Chicago Bulls management to push for a trade to land Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol.

"I heard about it after (Monday's) game," Rose said. "That's something I wouldn't say to anyone, that I need someone to come to this team or I'm trying to get rid of someone on this team. It was all false and that's something I would never do."
                        The idea of the trade was that Carlos Boozer and C.J. Watson would go to Los Angeles for Gasol. Rose has said repeatedly over the years that he's not comfortable recruiting players, but said he spoke to Boozer to clear things up.

"He should know, but I talked to him a little bit," Rose said. "But I think he already knew they were false, where it's something I wouldn't do to anyone, especially trade him to any team. It was all false."
                        Rose and Gasol are both clients of agent Arn Tellem, though so are nearly 40 other NBA players.

"I'm good with the teammates I have," Rose said. "I've always been saying that. The team that I have, we've been winning games, and we're not in the position to look to trade anyone right now."
                        Rose uncharacteristically didn't speak to reporters after Monday's win over the Atlanta Hawks, despite playing for the first time in six games. He played well, scoring 23 points with six assists and five rebounds.

"I wasn't frustrated," he said. "I was just tired of hearing about my back. I just needed a break. I'm sorry for what I did, I just needed a break."
                        Despite missing five straight games and being limited in two others with back spasms, Rose said he's not worried about the injury anymore and is pain-free. He said he's going to have to keep seeing a local chiropractor, Dr. Stuart Yoss, and do extra stretching exercises for the rest of the season.

"I've got to go see him after shootarounds, and on days off, just go over there for an hour so he could work on me,"
                        Rose said.

The point guard is headed to Orlando for his third-straight All-Star Game. He's starting for the second consecutive season.

"It's an honor to be in the game, but running around and doing all that other stuff is something I'm not looking forward to,"
                        he said.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...au-gasol-trade

Brajkula, 2014. N.E

Comment

• Celtics certainly not OK
                          But rally in loss a positive

OKLAHOMA CITY — There may not be another team that needs its All-Star break more.

The Celtics don’t have another game for six days, which leaves them a long time to ponder last night’s 119-104 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Though the game marked their fifth straight loss, and seventh in the last eight games, the C’s might want to delve deeper into this one than just examining the result. After giving up such early indignities as 72 first-half points, which included a 28-2 Thunder run and 8-for-12 3-point shooting by Oklahoma City, the Celtics showed a flash of who they once were.

Of course, the visitors trailed by 27 points early in the third quarter when clarity struck. But the fact that the C’s cut the deficit to six points, at 108-102, with 3:31 left is well worth noting.

Add the suspended Rajon Rondo [stats] and the rehabbing Brandon Bass (knee) to what worked after halftime, and the Celtics might have the stuff to make a second-half run.

In order to do so, the energy level needs to be where it was over the final two quarters last night.

“I just loved the spirit,” coach Doc Rivers said. “I told them after the game, if we play like that in the second half of the season healthy, it’s going to be tough to beat us, anybody. Every once in a while you have a team-building game even though you lose, and tonight was a team-building game. I don’t like moral victories, but that was an absolute team-builder in our locker room tonight.”

Rivers had all sorts of obstacles to consider. Injuries left him with a big man rotation of Kevin Garnett, back after a two-game absence for personal reasons, and rookies Greg Stiemsma and JaJuan Johnson.

When Paul Pierce [stats] left the game with two quick fouls after chasing Kevin Durant, and Garnett eventually went to the bench for his much-needed rest, the Celtics youth was left holding the bag.

That’s when the Thunder went on their 28-2 tear.

And though Durant (28 points) and Russell Westbrook (31) would finish with their customary big numbers, the points were a little harder to come by in the second half.

Mickael Pietrus matched up against Durant, Avery Bradley blocked Westbrook twice in his unenviable assignment, and the C’s started to climb back.

Pierce, who didn’t hit his second shot until after halftime, broke out with 13 points in the third quarter, triggering some of the best Celtics offense in the last two weeks.

“Paul was great,” Rivers said. “You could hear him out there. We got it to 20 and you could hear him shout 20, we got it to 17 and you could hear him shout 17. He was counting it down out loud, and for young guys that’s a good message.”

Pierce could feel that momentum build all the way up until it fell apart on Durant’s smooth pull-up banker with 2:47 left for a 112-102 Oklahoma City lead.

“I’ve never played on a team that’s just given up, so I tried to push the guys and push them all the way to the finish line,” Pierce said. “I’m not a player who stops short. We have a lot of guys with pride here. They want to go to the finish line no matter what the circumstance is.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...lose_big_lead/

Comment

• Expect Derrick Rose and Rip Hamilton to be reunited after break

The starting backcourt of Derrick Rose and Rip Hamilton has started only eight games together.

“He’s a huge part of our team,” Rose said of Hamilton, who will return to the lineup after the All-Star break. “I’ve been saying that. His experience when he’s out there opens up the game for everyone. We’re just patient. I’m just hoping he’ll come back soon.”

Hamilton has missed 22 games with groin and thigh injuries but has been participating in contact drills and could return to the starting lineup when the Bulls host New Orleans on Feb. 28.

Coach Tom Thibodeau said he won’t rush Hamilton. He wants him to be completely healthy and will likely see reduced minutes until he gets into game shape.

“He’s doing a lot more,” Thibodeau said. “He’s taking on contact now, which is a good sign. We’ll see where we are when we get back.”

Double shift

Thibodeau said coaching the Eastern Conference All-Stars will not interfere with his Bulls duties.

“[The Bulls are] always the priority,” Thibodeau said. “The All-Star Game is a great event. It’s for the league, by the league, for the fans. It’s an honor to be there, but my priority is with the Bulls. I can manage to do both.”

Confidence in Korver

Thibodeau is not concerned about Kyle Korver’s cold streak. The three-point specialist has made only 2 of his last 15 from long range, including 1 of 3 Wednesday against the Bucks.

“He just has to keep doing what he’s doing,” Thibodeau said. “There are going to be some ups and downs. He’s shown that he’s a guy that’s helping us even when he’s not making his shots because no one is leaving him. He creates great space on the floor. We have a lot of confidence that the next one is going in. We’re surprised when they don’t go in.”

Don’t expect Korver to put any shots up over the break. Like most Bulls player, he said what he needs most is a break from the game.

“I will not touch a basketball,” he said.

Watson sits

C.J. Watson did not play against the Bucks. Watson suffered concussion-like symptoms after running face-first into Kris Humphries in Saturday’s loss to the Nets. He didn’t play Monday against the Hawks, either.

Thibodeau is confident Watson will be ready after the break.

“There’s guidelines by the league now that I think are good,” Thibodeau said. “Once he meets those guidelines, he’ll be ready.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baske...ter-break.html

Comment

• Warriors willing to trade Monta Ellis, but only for superstar

In an annual tradition like Meryl Streep getting an Oscar nomination, the Monta Ellis trade rumors have started to swirl.

Golden State likes Monta Ellis for all the same reasons you covet him for your team — there are few better pure scorers in the league. At the end of the day, putting ball in the hole wins games. He can do that.

Golden State will consider trading him for one of the games elite superstars, but short of that you’re out of luck. And superstars are not exactly involved in the offers the Warriors got around the last draft, such as this one from the Timberwolves, reports Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News.

According to multiple league sources, the two teams had a loose outline of a proposal–neither team had agreed to anything, but this was the basic heart of the talks:

* Minnesota was willing to talk about a package involving F Michael Beasley and C Nikola Pekovic in return for Ellis.

The sources say the Warriors didn’t flat out say no to Minnesota, but wanted more.

* The GSWs apparently asked to expand the deal to include the Timberwolves’ No. 1 pick in last year’s draft, which was 2nd overall and turned out to be Derrick Williams.

No deal. This is sort of like the Lakers with Pau Gasol — sure, they’ll move him if Chris Paul is coming back but not if it’s Derrick Williams, or even Carlos Boozer. Basically, you’re not going to rip them off.

The Warriors need some roster changes — turns out just the presence of Mark Jackson does not transform talent — but they have something of value in Ellis. And they know it. If you want him you’re going to have to blow them away.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...rstar/related/

Comment

• J.R. Smith’s Chinese team fined him more than $1 million

With J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin already back in the NBA and Aaron Brooks and Wilson Chandler soon to return, four players' lockout-inspired China Basketball Association adventures are essentially over. What once seemed like a good way to make money and increase international star power during an NBA break turned out to be a bit of a mess. Foreign stars are expected to do a lot overseas, and the expectations for notable NBA players were even higher. That things didn't work out perfectly was mostly due to a lack of communication and the cultural divide.

Yet to say that these players didn't get along with their teams equally is entirely wrong, because Smith broke all sorts of records for team-player animosity during his season with Zhejiang Chouzhou. In November, Smith raised the ire of the team when he handled an apparent knee injury in poor form — they even thought he was faking it. And while things appeared to improve once Stephon Marbury played peacemaker — yes, that really happened — it turns out the relationship between Smith and Zhejiang was strained until he left a few weeks ago.

In fact, they ended up fining him more than $1 million over the course of his employment. From Jon Pastuszek at NIUBBALL.com (via SLAM):

According to a report published by NetEase, Smith had US $1.06 million deducted from his salaryover the course of the season for missing practices. Most of the missed practices came during pre-season while his team, Zhejiang Chouzhou, was getting ready for the start of the regular season. The sum was deducted from his salary, a final number that represented about one-third of his total salary.

Zhejiang Chouzhou general manager, Zhao Bing, said that the team was simply enforcing a clause in Smith's signed contract and that the team gave him ample warning throughout.

"This was the arrangement when he came to the team," said Zhao. "Every practice we let him know. If he expressed to us that he wasn't going to come to practice, we'd tell him that in accordance with our contract, we're deducting money from your salary. And he'd always get back to us with, 'Whatever. If you're going to take it, then just take it.'"

The article adds that Zhao Bing repeatedly told J.R. about the seriousness of the situation, but that he continued with the attitude that it was an unimportant issue for him.
                                We can only assume that Smith missed practices to spend time with his pet panda, named "Brad Garrett" in honor of his favorite actor on "Everybody Loves Raymond."

It's no great surprise to hear that Smith was checked out mentally, since he hasn't exactly been the most focused or authority-friendly player in the NBA, either. Still, it's a little bizarre to think that he voluntarily lost one-third of his salary in a job that seemed valuable primarily for the money involved; it's not as if J.R. really loved playing for Zhejiang or feels a special debt to Chinese basketball. This gig was a paycheck gig, and yet he wasn't that interested in maximizing his paycheck. Where's the sense there?

Let this be yet another reminder that J.R. Smith defies expectations and explanations as a rule. This is the kind of guy he is. It makes him fascinating and frustrating in equal measures.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...004858221.html

DEFINICIJA FRAZE BOG OTAC!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X